Tipping tour guides

Tansy Mews

5 hours ago, Tansy Mews said:

I have read here that tipping is not.normal ot expected in AU and NZ. 

But what about tour guides?  

Thanks. 

Frances

Exactly, tipping is not expected here and that includes tour guides. But that said, if you feel someone has provided outstanding service, a tip is not likely to be refused. 

Leigh

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tansy Mews said:

I have read here that tipping is not.normal ot expected in AU and NZ. 

But what about tour guides?  

Thanks. 

Frances

We do not differentiate between workers in service industries. If you want to tip a waiter, tour guide or taxi driver, it will be appreciated.  Most recipients will be pleasantly surprised.

every now and then we take a buc (coach) tour back home in Oz and usually ask the driver or guide if we can buy them a coffee at rest stops. They always seem to be happy about the gesture (even if they would probably get a FREE coffee from the coffee shop where we stop). We still tend to slip them a 20 or so, if we had fun on a long day tour.

Why does every question that starts with -

"I have read here that tipping is not.normal ot expected in AU and NZ. "

Continue with -

'But what about <insert random occupation>?'

How hard is it to just accept the first sentence and understand things are different to your country. We have a living wage here. Most are earning more than the tourist trying to patronisingly shove a $5 note in their hand as if they are a servant. Hospitality and tourism are high income jobs. 

Honestly if you are so desperate to hand over extra cash for something where it is not required - consider putting the cash in a bushfire appeal tin, or any other charity tin, or hand it to a homeless person. That way you will actually effectuate change where it's needed and very much welcome. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

How hard is it to just accept the first sentence and understand things are different to your country. We have a living wage here. Most are earning more than the tourist trying to patronisingly shove a $5 note in their hand as if they are a servant. Hospitality and tourism are high income jobs. 

This board was my confirmatory source of not tipping. However, I wondered whether tourists from other continents (North Americans) routinely tipped them and they had come to expect it.

However appreciative attention, genuine thanks in person and a good review online for excellence are probably the way to go.

My two cents... we are still in Auckland after our cruise. We actually had a tour bus driver/tour guide in Wellington ask for tips twice times during the tour. 

We did tip our tour drivers and guides in Australia and New Zealand and they all seemed very happy to accept the gratuity.

2 minutes ago, kathy9 said:

My two cents... we are still in Auckland after our cruise. We actually had a tour bus driver/tour guide in Wellington ask for tips twice times during the tour. 

We did tip our tour drivers and guides in Australia and New Zealand and they all seemed very happy to accept the gratuity.

I think the point that the Australians are making on this thread is that we are "spoiling" the tourism people if we tip. They have a workable system with proper wages. A system I would love to see more widespread in my country. It is getting ridiculous now with tip inflation.

I will take their advice.

Frances

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kathy9 said:

Locals will never tip , but it’s quite usual for tourists to say thank you to the guides......so don’t worry ,while it’s not expected it will never be refused .

3 hours ago, kathy9 said:

Why would anyone refuse extra money? Us locals would just prefer that it isn't going to be expected for us to do it as well.

One other thing I find amusing is the complaint that everything is more expensive here in Australia. The reason is we give a good wage that doesn't rely on tipping. So therefore another reason not to tip unless it is truly exceptional service.

Oh and about that bus driver/tour guide...I definitely wouldn't be giving them a tip.

Julie

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, kathy9 said:

I would think that a tour guide in NZ asking for a tip would be quite unusual and in particular to ask twice! If I had been on the tour I would not have tipped! To me it just plain rude to ask for tips. When you booked the tour, was there anything about tipping the tour guide included? 

Leigh

Edited by possum52

8 hours ago, kathy9 said:

And they are no doubt laughing in the pub with each other afterwards about gullible US tourists who don't know the tipping customs.

You should also be aware that many/most would find it embarrassing to have to actually say no thank you. Many would also find it insulting and quite demeaning but it would not be in their nature to embarrass you by refusing.

Seriously PLEASE keep your habits at home when you travel and accept the habits of other countries when you are in them. Otherwise you simply keep the "American Tourist" stereotype alive and well.

Give your 'two cents' to a charity or to the homeless. They need it.

• Like 1

Unfortunately a "tipping expected" culture is developing down under. Cafes have tip jars at the till and even uber asks if you want to tip the driver.  As a local I don't tip as a norm but if I receive exceptional service at a restaurant I probably will.  Same on board cruise ships, we have gratuities built into our cruise fare because of the cultural differences towards tipping. For exceptional service on cruise ships I will provide extras. If I take an Uber where the fare is next to nothing and there is traffic holdups I will add a tip. THese guys have to live

Edited by Beanb41