No Black tie night on new years eve on Azura

ascot2012

We have recently returned from Azura over New Year, upon boarding there was a Horizon in the room giving details of the trip highlights, we noticed that for New Years eve it stated smart casual, my wife and myself came to the conclusion that it was a miss print but no when we got the Horizon on the night of the 30th December for the next day and night it proved us wrong that infact it was casual night to celebrate New Years eve. It became obvious that some people were infact making it an unofficial Black Tie night which is just what we did, it just seemed wrong that one of the biggest nights of the year was very poorly organised with little to no celebration of the UK new year.

We have been on other New Years eve cruises with other companies and they made a lot more of the whole event.  

1 minute ago, ascot2012 said:

We have recently returned from Azura over New Year, upon boarding there was a Horizon in the room giving details of the trip highlights, we noticed that for New Years eve it stated smart casual, my wife and myself came to the conclusion that it was a miss print but no when we got the Horizon on the night of the 30th December for the next day and night it proved us wrong that infact it was casual night to celebrate New Years eve. It became obvious that some people were infact making it an unofficial Black Tie night which is just what we did, it just seemed wrong that one of the biggest nights of the year was very poorly organised with little to no celebration of the UK new year.

We have been on other New Years eve cruises with other companies and they made a lot more of the whole event.  

What a disappointment. 

We were on Ventura and did have black tie on NYE, but we were in Hamburg. 

They had a bit of a party on deck watching the fireworks in the distance, but not much else really. 

I had hoped for a bit more of a celebration but sadly not. 

Andy 

I have booked for New Year on Azura  this year having viewed YouTube videos from previous New Year cruises on Azura which showed black tie and party countdown on deck so will be very disappointed if the same as you have experienced. Can you tell me if there was a countdown or what did happen at midnight.

Thanks

That sounds very disappointing and is something which might well put me off doing a NYE on P & O.  This year, we were on a Marella NYE cruise and they made a very big deal of it.  Main dining room beautifully decorated, black tie dress code, party on deck with DJ and all the entertainers providing music, ice carvings and the captain sounding the ship's horn at midnight.  Of course, with Marella being all inclusive, the drinks were flowing.  The deck party went on until 2 a.m.  We had a fantastic night.

It's ancient history now but New Year's Eve was a big deal on our one and only Christmas/New Year cruise back in 2011, with a gala dinner followed by a party in the Pacific Lounge (on Oriana).

On this occasion given that Ventura had a formal night but Azura didn't I wonder if this was just the choice of one cruise director rather than a company decision?

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 1

NYE on our Britannia Caribbean cruise 2015 was black tie: gala dinner, decorated MDR, party on deck with countdown, ship's horn blasted. Unfortunately it was impossible to get drinks - every bar was manic and the queues were huge and the party was cut short by a torrential downpour, but we had planned an early night because we were disembarking the next day anyway.

We dressed for dinner, but then changed into casual that we would be wearing to travel the next day,  as our cases had to be put out by 11 pm.

I would be very disappointed at such a low-key approach. If I want a boring NYE I can stay at home!

2 hours ago, groovechick said:

NYE on our Britannia Caribbean cruise 2015 was black tie: gala dinner, decorated MDR, party on deck with countdown, ship's horn blasted. Unfortunately it was impossible to get drinks - every bar was manic and the queues were huge and the party was cut short by a torrential downpour, but we had planned an early night because we were disembarking the next day anyway.

We dressed for dinner, but then changed into casual that we would be wearing to travel the next day,  as our cases had to be put out by 11 pm.

I would be very disappointed at such a low-key approach. If I want a boring NYE I can stay at home!

Funnily enough, NYE was the only time we didn't struggle to get a drink on Ventura, the waiters were working like trojans, despite the demand. 

We had the countdown, black tie and Gala dinner, but in general, it didn't feel that special. 

The scrum in the buffet at about ten past midnight was funny to watch, queues right around the ship. 

Andy 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Funnily enough, NYE was the only time we didn't struggle to get a drink on Ventura, the waiters were working like trojans, despite the demand. 

We had the countdown, black tie and Gala dinner, but in general, it didn't feel that special. 

The scrum in the buffet at about ten past midnight was funny to watch, queues right around the ship. 

Andy 

They must have been making up for the gala meal Andy. I totally agree NYE was nothing special on Ventura and certainly not worth the premium charged for cruising at the time of year.  

Cathy

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

They must have been making up for the gala meal Andy. I totally agree NYE was nothing special on Ventura and certainly not worth the premium charged for cruising at the time of year.  

Cathy

Ha ha, gala meal?? I had lamb chops.. 

Although we had a great time, I doubt I would do it again with P&O. 

Andy 

Now I am very concerned that this may not have been the right choice. This will be my first P&O cruise. I have previously cruised with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity although not at that time of year. Was the rest of your cruise on Azura ok? Also did ship have Christmas decorations 

Thanks

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Charlcon said:

Now I am very concerned that this may not have been the right choice. This will be my first P&O cruise. I have previously cruised with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity although not at that time of year. Was the rest of your cruise on Azura ok? Also did ship have Christmas decorations 

Thanks

Hi.....I think it is hard to compare cruise companies especially companies that have a different approach so no way am I " slagging off " P&O.  P&O offer a good product ....for price paid but isn't in the same " class as Celebrity....think 3/4 star compare to 4/5 star but of course it is reflected in price paid. In comparison you may find P&O a little bit underwhelming. What I find on RCI/Celebrity is that they have a much more " can do" approach

Yes the ship will have festive decorations

10 hours ago, Charlcon said:

Thanks

I don't think you need to worry too much, you will be in the Caribbean so the weather will be fine for a midnight deck party and I assume that NYE will be a formal night.  

We sailed on Indy last year and food in their MDR was not quite as good as P&O, however the RCI breakfast buffet was better with a lot more choice.  Its 4 years since we last sailed Celebrity and at that time all food was a higher standard than P&O, but I have read that it's declined recently.

The main P&O benefits are in costs, there is no service charge, no gratuities added to the list price for drinks, and they are much cheaper as well.

Finally the entertainment on P&O is, IMO, much better than Celebrity, but they don't have the Grease type West End shows or Ice Dance shows that RCI have, but there are more entertainment venues on P&O.

Overall more similarities than differences, but no water slides, flowriders, climbing walls or Splashaway bay features.

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I don't think you need to worry too much, you will be in the Caribbean so the weather will be fine for a midnight deck party and I assume that NYE will be a formal night.  

We sailed on Indy last year and food in their MDR was not quite as good as P&O, however the RCI breakfast buffet was better with a lot more choice.  Its 4 years since we last sailed Celebrity and at that time all food was a higher standard than P&O, but I have read that it's declined recently.

The main P&O benefits are in costs, there is no service charge, no gratuities added to the list price for drinks, and they are much cheaper as well.

Finally the entertainment on P&O is, IMO, much better than Celebrity, but they don't have the Grease type West End shows or Ice Dance shows that RCI have, but there are more entertainment venues on P&O.

Overall more similarities than differences, but no water slides, flowriders, climbing walls or Splashaway bay features.

As per my original post NYE was NOT black tie it was casual.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That's how the thread started John, NYE was not a formal night on Azura in the Caribbean this year. 

It was on  Ventura in Hamburg, but still a bit underwhelming. 

Andy 

On 1/21/2020 at 9:45 PM, Charlcon said:

I have booked for New Year on Azura  this year having viewed YouTube videos from previous New Year cruises on Azura which showed black tie and party countdown on deck so will be very disappointed if the same as you have experienced. Can you tell me if there was a countdown or what did happen at midnight.

Thanks

There was a party on deck that from what we were told was good with count down etc, we were in the Planet Bar, and if I remember right there was a count down but not the fan fare we have had on other ships a little bit low key

11 hours ago, Charlcon said:

Thanks

Hi, first of all we had a very enjoyable cruise in the whole, the ship was still decorated for about a week ( we got on on the 27th December) I couldn't tell you when they removed them as one day they were there and the next day they were gone. Food was normal P&O fare, we find it good, a few night I found it difficult to find something for me and other I could have had 4 or 5 dishes.

The entertainment was good (on the whole) if not always to our tastes, though the Headliners were the worst we have ever seen, 3 out of 4 male singers either couldn't sing or were just not singing songs that suited there voice/style, after a couple of shows we just went else where. we would book P&O to the Caribbean again and at New Year, we find P&O no better or no worse that RC, but can't comment about the standards of Celebrity. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the info and reassurance. I did a lot of research before booking so know there may be some aspects not the same but did want good atmosphere for New Year. If not then I will not let that spoil things. After all it is only one night in a 2 week cruise, and I will be in the Caribbean relaxing after Christmas so can't be too bad.