Bring Ice skates? Mariner of the Seas

aainsjen

3 minutes ago, aainsjen said:

My boys...(7 & 9) are determined to bring their own ice skates on the Mariner next week. Is this allowed? I keep telling them it wont be worth it to bring them, but Im just a mom who doesnt know anything lol.

they can bring their own if they want to. Skates are provided though. If they use the skates provided , my experience is that they will give you figure skates. If the boys want hockey skates they might need to ask for them. Make sure they have socks and long pants

4 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

For the small amount of time they will be allowed on the ice, I can't imagine taking up luggage space for ice skates.

Thats exactly what I said! But being from Buffalo and my boys think they will play for the Sabres some day Ice skates are essential LOL

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, aainsjen said:

Thats exactly what I said! But being from Buffalo and my boys think they will play for the Sabres some day Ice skates are essential LOL

Ha, love it! My 12yr old Nephew plays on Hockey Teams here in MI all yr round. 20yrs ago couldnt get my boy off Computer, never did. Now he owns a IT Company. When I was their age had Dream be a Soldier, even ran around wearing real WW2 and Vietnam era uniforms. Begged my parents allow me join before was 18, did and lived my Dream. Some works out others just a Dream. You never know! 

1 hour ago, aainsjen said:

There are very few hours available to skate and the rink is really small.  There will be lots of people skating for the first time, so they are strict on what they allow those who can skate do.  Usually only skating forward, no backwards skating, no jumping, no sticks.  If you are driving to port, bring them, but if you are flying, I would only pack them if you had space (and weight) left in the suitcases after packing everything else.  I would take my own snorkel gear over taking skates.

my DS used "rental" skates on the Allure, but I saw a few girls with their own figure skates.

Since we are limited to 40# suitcases when we fly to our cruise, we wouldn't be bringing the heavy skates with us. For one week DS can just use whatever they've got onboard.

No tricks allowed.

My husband brings his skates when we cruise (he's played hockey his entire life and hates rentals). He just puts them in a backpack as his carry on. Since you're flying it would be at your discretion if it's worth the luggage space. As others have mentioned, the rink is small and limited times are available for open skate. Hockey skates are available upon request, and I've never not received them. On our Symphony cruise in December there was only window of open skate and we were too busy sleeping off our drinks from Trellis Bar the night before so we didn't make it, haha. 

10 hours ago, aainsjen said:

It's been a while since I wore rental skates but the skates they provide on board are the worst rental skates I have ever put on my feet.  They won't get much use out the skates they bring but the use they get will make for a much better experience.

6 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

It's been a while since I wore rental skates but the skates they provide on board are the worst rental skates I have ever put on my feet.  They won't get much use out the skates they bring but the use they get will make for a much better experience.

I have gotten much worse, including at the Chicago Bean. When they still had the roller blade area on the ship I wanted to bring my own but the packing weight/space and the small area changed my mind. Also they will have a blast on the activities upstairs including the flow rider and jump zone.

I was going to bring my skates on last time I was on an RCCL ship to practice since I was competitive at the time.  Then I found out that they won't let you do anything other than skate in circles.  THEN a week before the cruise I shattered my elbow (at skating practice of all things) and I didn't skate at all since I was in a cast a week out from reconstructive surgery.  That was fun.  Still went on the cruise anyway.