how much effect does a CD have on your cruise fun?

I never thought a CD would make a bit of difference until I cruised with Matt Mitcham.  I had already cruised on several lines by then and the only one I could remember was an annoying one.  Matt set the bar.  He was so funny and entertaining that it made us enjoy the cruise more.  We later had MarQ on a cruise and he was just as good.  Very, very entertaining and funny.  Other than those two, the rest were all the same and not very memorable to me.

Normally they don't make much of a difference.  I think it was my second Carnival cruise where we had John Heald as our CD.  He was by far the best CD I have ever encountered.  I would absolutely book a cruise just because he was going to be the CD.

Our best CD was Jase Apps on the Dream a few years ago.  He was all over the ship everyday and interacting with everyone.  He even came by our table in the MDR one night.  We will have Cookie as our CD in a few weeks on the Glory and hear he is awesome too.

22 minutes ago, atobols said:

Normally they don't make much of a difference.  I think it was my second Carnival cruise where we had John Heald as our CD.  He was by far the best CD I have ever encountered.  I would absolutely book a cruise just because he was going to be the CD.

I could not agree more. We had him on the elation in 1999. The guy is hysterical.

2 hours ago, coevan said:

and you cruise? I can't think of any vacation with more crowds than a cruise ship

I get a cabin with a balcony and I'm usually up by 5:30 a.m.  I do my wandering around early in the morning:) 

Hugely  important: 

currently our CD on the breeze is horrible constant long winded announcement as always starts with it’s “It’s your Girl Nono Your Cruise Director” (last night she interrupted dive-in movies like 3 times in the middle of Avengers End Game and The crowd went crazy!
Also we get who you are after 14 days on board 

I’ve cruise with Matt, John, Jamie Dee, and they really all majorly enhance our experience

but I swear my two least favs are Nono and MarQ 

I wouldn’t cruise again with them as the CD 

Only CD we had that was memorable was on the Paradise in August 2015.

I can't remember his name, but he was a great juggler, and was AMAZING on the fiddle.  His "devil went down to Georgia" is one of the best solos I ever heard.  

He was an older man.  Anyone know who I'm talking about, and what his name is? 

The CD’s who have stood out for me ....

A+ Rating:

Dr. E

Gary Blair

A Rating:

Savannah

D or F Rating:

Kevin Donohue

Malcolm Burns

B & C Rating:

I really can’t come up with their names ... yikes ...did their job ... but nothing to stand out on either end of My Grade Curve! 🙂🙂

1 minute ago, Markmom18 said:

P.S.

I’ll be on the Glory this Spring. “Donkey” Salazar is taking over as CD.  Any thoughts??

Thanks!

He was CD on the Dream last July. I found him very funny. A good entertainer. He was all over the place....like all of them are. 

Not much.  I think a CD can make a cruise a little better, but I'm not sure they can make it worse.  On our first cruise we had Peter McGarth who was hilarious and seemed to be everywhere.  His personality was just infectious and you were glad to be around him.  Last year we had some guy who was incredibly dull.  I can't even remember his name.  He wasn't rude or anything, just not particularly engaging.  We only saw him once.  This year we had Simon London.  We didn't see him terribly often, but when we did he seemed to be really friendly and outgoing and enjoying his job.

I wouldn't choose or deny a cruise based on the CD.

If they're no good, it certainly isn't going to be something that ruins my cruise. I'm going to have a good time regardless.

But if they add a bunch of excitement to the cruise, that is always welcome. No matter how much the cool people pretend like they never notice them at all. I've had some great ones.

Not in the least.  Only three times have I ever even been aware of a CD.  Leigh who was with Royal and was last with Carnival was amazing the two times we sailed with him.  He was present, wild, and made the events he ran outstanding.  The other was the Couple that works for Royal (Cruise Director and Activities Director).  They were TERRIBLE.  The wife was the fakest person I had ever met.  They also ruined the Quest, turning it into a G rated yawn fest.  Other than that on my other......20+ cruises I have been completely unaware of a Cruise Director in either direction....

6&8

13 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Only CD we had that was memorable was on the Paradise in August 2015.

I can't remember his name, but he was a great juggler, and was AMAZING on the fiddle.  His "devil went down to Georgia" is one of the best solos I ever heard.  

He was an older man.  Anyone know who I'm talking about, and what his name is? 

That was Steve Cassal. He is now retired. 😎

4 hours ago, sixesandeights said:

Not in the least.  Only three times have I ever even been aware of a CD.  Leigh who was with Royal and was last with Carnival was amazing the two times we sailed with him.  He was present, wild, and made the events he ran outstanding.  The other was the Couple that works for Royal (Cruise Director and Activities Director).  They were TERRIBLE.  The wife was the fakest person I had ever met.  They also ruined the Quest, turning it into a G rated yawn fest.  Other than that on my other......20+ cruises I have been completely unaware of a Cruise Director in either direction....

6&8

Yep. I will always remember that CD on a Royal because he was the most annoying CD ever. He was like a bad Vegas act. So annoying.

Even though we're platinum with Carnival, sailed 4 times on Disney and twice on HAL I couldn't tell you who even one of the cd's was on any cruise That's how little they affect they have on our cruising.

Except for John Heald (a long time ago), I can't remember but one other name. I think it was Mikey. He was the best we've ever had.

But, I really don't care for the most part. They pretty much are all the same.

23 hours ago, cbowls30 said:

Does anybody book a particular ship/itinerary based on who is the CD?

I would no more book because of CD than I would book for the Head Chef.   The CD means nothing to our ability to have a lovely vacation.