BOGO Sales only on Beverage Packages?

fscool

I've been following my cruise planner since September and have only seen BOGO sales on the Deluxe Beverage Packages.  That doesn't do me any good personally and I'll just wait for a single package deal.  But what I am curious about is whether RCL is only doing these BOGO sales on Beverage Packages across all of their cruises?  Is this a new strategy for RCL?  In my prior cruises over the years there have always been single sale prices.

Btw, I don't consider the standard "20% below onboard prices" offer to really be a sale because that is the standard Cruise Planner price.

10 minutes ago, fscool said:

I've been following my cruise planner since September and have only seen BOGO sales on the Deluxe Beverage Packages.  That doesn't do me any good personally and I'll just wait for a single package deal.  But what I am curious about is whether RCL is only doing these BOGO sales on Beverage Packages across all of their cruises?  Is this a new strategy for RCL?  In my prior cruises over the years there have always been single sale prices.

Btw, I don't consider the standard "20% below onboard prices" offer to really be a sale because that is the standard Cruise Planner price.

Prices changes are rarely fleetwide.

They offer a percentage off from time to time.  I have seen 20 and 30%.  30% is about as good as it get.

Also, are you sailing alone?  If there are 2 adults in the cabin, both have to get the Deluxe Package if you choose it.  They won't let you buy just one package.

Just keep watching.   For my upcoming sailing at one point it was $51, and another point it was $55. I don’t remember which one of those was tagged as BOGO. But then it went to $48 (not BOGO), then back up and now it’s been $48 for a while.   Don’t pay any attention to the percent off and just look at the bottom line price. 

10 hours ago, Jeff13 said:

They offer a percentage off from time to time.  I have seen 20 and 30%.  30% is about as good as it get.

Also, are you sailing alone?  If there are 2 adults in the cabin, both have to get the Deluxe Package if you choose it.  They won't let you buy just one package.

They allow one person to get the deluxe package and another the refreshment package.

Along this line.....my cruise planner says 30% off, $51 each.  We are leaving from Galveston and 5 nights.  No drink package day 1 (embarkation) so I am thinking we would pay for 4 days.  They say $601.  I know there is an 18% gratuity, but can tax bring what should be about $488 to $600?  Yikes!  Is there tax on the single purchase drinks?

5 hours ago, metromover said:

Along this line.....my cruise planner says 30% off, $51 each.  We are leaving from Galveston and 5 nights.  No drink package day 1 (embarkation) so I am thinking we would pay for 4 days.  They say $601.  I know there is an 18% gratuity, but can tax bring what should be about $488 to $600?  Yikes!  Is there tax on the single purchase drinks?

On Royal, you get to use the drink package on day 1, as soon as your board the ship.  Your choices are limited until you get to international waters, but you can use the package.

There is US Sales Tax on single purchase drinks, but no sales tax on package purchases.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 2:04 AM, Norwich Cruiser said:

They allow one person to get the deluxe package and another the refreshment package.

That stopped a couple of years ago.  Both in the same cabin have to get the Deluxe if either one has it.  I guess it could be different on some ships.  The ones we have been on the last couple of years required it.

Edited by Jeff13

21 minutes ago, Jeff13 said:

That stopped a couple of years ago.  Both in the same cabin have to get the Deluxe if either one has it.  I guess it could be different on some ships.  The ones we have been on the last couple of years required it.

No, they still allow it but I believe you have to call to be able to do it.  They just allowed me to do it but the second person HAS to book the refreshment package.

1 hour ago, Jeff13 said:

I’m sorry to disagree but it definitely hasn’t stopped we just did that last week for a couple of future cruises as smaki has just said just give them a call and they’ll sort it for you.

I’m booked as a single for my cruise in March. When I price a drink package it gives me a price of around $55 a day and that is only purchasing 1 package. Even thou it says it’s a bogo. I don’t think you need to buy 2 to get the price unless there are 2 people in the cabin

When you say watch for the deals I’m assume you log in to your RCL account and check there? Or do they display the info elsewhere? Would definitely LOVE to get a BOGO for DH and I on our 4/16 cruise. 

12 minutes ago, cbr said:

When you say watch for the deals I’m assume you log in to your RCL account and check there? Or do they display the info elsewhere? Would definitely LOVE to get a BOGO for DH and I on our 4/16 cruise. 

Yes, log into the Cruise Planner on RC website to see the “deals” available on your cruise.

I’ll be on the Symphony in September and our current “deal” for the DBP is $65 pp per day which it says is 20% off onboard prices. I got it for $61 during Black Friday and that’s the lowest I’ve seen it since we booked last July. I keep watching hoping for a cheaper price, but no luck so far.

Buy One Get One half off is just a 25% discount. But 25% off of what? The highest price they dare to charge? The onboard price? (which is the highest price). RC's drink prices are arbitrary and capricious.  The only way you're gonna get a deal is to check the drink prices every day by logging into RC.

10 hours ago, ATC cruiser said:

I’m booked as a single for my cruise in March. When I price a drink package it gives me a price of around $55 a day and that is only purchasing 1 package. Even thou it says it’s a bogo. I don’t think you need to buy 2 to get the price unless there are 2 people in the cabin

The BOGO breaks down to 25% off for each of the two people buying it. If you are solo it will be 25% off for you alone. $55 sounds like it is 25% off of the on board price which is probably around $68 -$70.

Decide on a number that works for your drinking habits.  $45, $50, $55, $60 whatever your number is, just know it.  

If it's at or below your magic number buy it.  If it isn't then don't.  Don't focus on BOGO this or 25% off that.  

It's like going to an auction.  Pick a number for the object of your desire.  If its below that number buy it.  Once it goes above that number don't buy it, move on or leave.

When it comes to drink packages know the number that provides value to you and walk away if it's higher.