Harmony -- Suggestions for things to do on the ship?

Hello,

Will be doing a cruise on the Harmony in another two weeks.  This is my first RCCL cruise.  Can you suggest fun activities that I might want to try on the cruise?   (Are there talks you found interesting, games that you thought were fun, activities that were fun, etc. that maybe I might want try?)  I'm not into sitting out in the sun, shopping, gambling, drinking or bar scene which sound like big time cruise activities.  I think I will bring my Kindle and buy / download a bunch of books as a backup plan.  A more typical vacation for me is going to a national park and exploring, going to theme parks (I love Disney, for example and am doing a day at the Magic Kingdom before the cruise), visiting historical tourist sites.  My last vacation was to South Dakota where I really enjoyed seeing wildlife, national monuments, and national and state parks (I especially liked Custer State park buffalo herds, feeding the burros and pretty scenery).  My next vacation after this cruise will be to visit Paris and Belfast where we will be visiting historic sites, parks, and enjoying cafes and people watching.  I'm more a land based vacationer than a cruise vacationer, but want to make the most of this upcoming cruise. 

Things I have enjoyed doing on cruises in the past that I am planning on this cruise:

-- Visiting with extended family on private balconies -- We have three cabins next to each other (two large balcony - one regular balcony)

-- Visiting with extended family for dinner in main dining room (signed up entire party to eat with each other at same table)

-- Shows on cruises in the past were OK (the bigger the ship, the better the shows) -- signed up whole group for all shows we could sign up for in advance on Harmony (With bigger ship am thinking shows will probably be of higher quality than on other cruises that I have been on)  (DH and I go to a lot of theatre at home -- season ticket holders at the rep, and we see lots of Broadway musicals in NYC and traveling ones that come to town) 

-- Enjoyed a cruise critic meet and greet before on NCL and signed up for this one (I always enjoy meeting and talking to people -- seemed like after meeting folks when I did this before that I saw them though out my cruise all over the ship which was fun)

-- Behind the scenes ship tour -- signed up for this for me, DH, and DS -- We all loved one we did on a Carnival ship some years back, so signed up for this on Harmony

-- Tours at ports -- am doing non ship tours in San Juan (historic walking tour -- have seen the forts before, etc. and visited a bit of the island on full week trips) and St. Martin ( non-ship island tour w/ DH and DS -- Last time I was there I just did Maho Beach which I loved -- so much fun to photograph the planes, and on this cruise I also signed up for waterpark at Coco Cay with DS

-- Shuffleboard (really liked doing this on our last cruise and played almost every day)

-- Mini golf was OK

Ages of our group (24 to 83) and it's not like we are going to be doing everything together.  

-- What about the talks about the ports? -- Might I enjoy those even though I don't plan to do any shopping?

-- What about the ping pong tournaments?  Might my son and I like them, even though we don't play ping pong regularly or even have a ping pong table? -- We are tennis players, so have some eye - hand coordination.

-- Any fun sing a longs  at a piano bar or Karaoke?    (The last time we went to Karaoke place on a ship, there were tons of kids who signed up who were really poor singers (out of tune or couldn't carry a tune murdering songs))  -- I'm sure it was fun for them, but not so much for us.

-- Is there any water volleyball (pools on ships are kind of small, so I was thinking maybe not much on this)

I would love other suggestions.  (And really and truly if I think about it there could be a lot worse things than reading a good book on an ocean view balcony in the Caribbean)  I think I'll be able to handle this.

Zipline sounds fun and we have done land based ziplining before.  I'll definitely have to look into that. Didn't realize that this is available on the ship.   Do you recommend this on a port vs. at sea days due to lines or doesn't it really matter?  We will have to try mini-golf too (a fun activity with family).  Have to say, though, for me surfing is way harder than it looks when I have tried it before (no natural ability here on that), so I will skip that.  It's really cool, though, that they have that on the ship.  

48 minutes ago, kathy884 said:

Zipline sounds fun and we have done land based ziplining before.  I'll definitely have to look into that. Didn't realize that this is available on the ship.   Do you recommend this on a port vs. at sea days due to lines or doesn't it really matter?  We will have to try mini-golf too (a fun activity with family).  Have to say, though, for me surfing is way harder than it looks when I have tried it before (no natural ability here on that), so I will skip that.  It's really cool, though, that they have that on the ship.  

You can probably do the boogie board side.

FWIW, zip line has a verical fall of about 10 feet, and lasts 10 seconds.

Water slides on Harmony are nice

Sing along is in Schooner Bar and Karaoke is in On Air.  Personally, I prefer the off key ameateurs to the American Idol wannabees.

9 hours ago, kathy884 said:

Hello,

This is my first RCCL cruise.  I'm not into sitting out in the sun, shopping, gambling, drinking or bar scene which sound like big time cruise activities. 

I love cruising but I am into sitting out in the sun, gambling and/or drinking either... I do enjoy the trivia. Sitting in the bar for a short time listening to music. I am not a huge shopper but I browse thru the shops. 
Other activities not mentioned yet (that I saw) 
Ice Skating

The Abyss (non water slide) I know the Water Slides had been mentioned

The Escape Room. I have done this 2x on 2 different ships. 1st time The Escape Group had 14 people, We had a group pf 8 on the cruise, 6 of us did the Escape. 2nd time was on Harmony, 4 of us traveling together and only my DH and I did the Escape. Really enjoyed both times
Sitting in Central Park (good reading time?) 

Rock Climbing

Watching a movie (in the Aqua Theater) 

People Watching all over the ship

1 hour ago, kathy884 said:

Have to say, though, for me surfing is way harder than it looks when I have tried it before (no natural ability here on that), so I will skip that.  It's really cool, though, that they have that on the ship.  

Due to a leg injury, I would never attempt the FlowRider either with a boogie board or Standing.  But I really enjoy watching it during some downtime. You can see from the greenest newbies to very experienced rider. Its fun to watch. At least for us...  

Side Note: if the Balconies are side by side, you can ask your SA if they can open up the dividers (if all of you are all interested)

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Disney is nice, but Kennedy Space Center is awesome. You did mention you like history

In my opinion

Yeah.  Last time I was there I was super impressed (totally enjoyed the visit).  Back in the 90s I was disappointed and thought "Boy they could really learn a lot from their theme park neighbors and make this so much better"  and IMHO they really did and have.  Even though I'm really not into space, I absolutely loved visiting this place.  I liked the historical perspective they did in the little film at the beginning too.   I have relatives in the Orlando area and seem to get down to the area almost annually.

21 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

Side Note: if the Balconies are side by side, you can ask your SA if they can open up the dividers (if all of you are all interested)

Thanks for all the suggestions LilBlackDress.   When my mom and dad did an Oasis cruise my mom really liked the Central Park area and maybe I will too (I'll be fine as long as I'm not expecting Central Park in NYC, which I love).  I am hoping they will open the dividers for us.  Part of our getting two of the large balcony cabins, was to have a little more space for sitting out together in case they won't.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Sing along is in Schooner Bar and Karaoke is in On Air.  Personally, I prefer the off key ameateurs to the American Idol wannabees.

Thanks John  and LaLa.  Sing a long sounds fun.  I will have to check that out.  

5 minutes ago, kathy884 said:

Thanks John  and LaLa.  Sing a long sounds fun.  I will have to check that out.  

We are on February 2nd. I'm curious who they have doing it now

Oh, and it's just John. Lala won't play in this sandbox. 😉

Edited by John&LaLa