Railway Choices at Eidfjord on Homeland Cruises

RealCajunLady

I was wondering which of the two Railway choices in Eidfjord would be commended by members on Homeland Cruise - the The Scenic Flåm Railway or Voss, Geilo & Bergen Railway?  Same price and can't really figure out how they differ.  Will be in port in early June.

Bergen railway is larger, modern passenger trains traveling through the mountains.

The Flåm railway travels back and forth between the Myrdal station of the Oslo-Bergen railway in a mountain pass up at an elevation of 863.6 meters (2,833 ft) down through the valley to the fjord town of Flåm which is located at 2.0 meters (6 ft 7 in). It is an extremely scenic ride with a stop to get out and view an impressive waterfall.

I'd recommend the Flåm train.

(Disclosure: I have taken both railways, but haven't done either specific Viking excursion)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We did the Voss rail journey last September whilst on the Viking Sky and throughly enjoyed it but fellow travellers who did the alternative trip also had a great time.Both trips are full day excursions involving perhaps more coach travel then train.

We had a meal in Voss at lunch time in a high standard hotel before boarding a service train there.I gather the seats on this train are more comfortable than on the Flam train.

There are no stops for photos ops  on the Voss train but several on the coach parts of the excursion.

One tip if you take the Voss trip ,sit on the right hand side of your carriage if possible to get better views.

Magical landscapes up there.There was snow up,there in September.

I'm sure you will not be disappointed whichever trip you decide to take,but take one of them and not one of the other offered tours.

Thanks so much for the input.  Can the Flam trip be accessed in any other way at reduced cost?
The Flåm railway can be booked directly 60 days out. Cruise ships typically pre-book large blocks of tickets for their excursions, but I'd imagine the railway prevents them from taking all the seats. But the peak times do sell out.
If you're docked in Flåm you could get a RT ticket to Myrdal and back, or you could get a one-way to Myrdal and bike back down.
The other option is the Norway in a Nutshell train/bus/ferry trip. You can do this as a DIY cruise extension if your cruise starts or ends in Bergen or Oslo, but takes too much time to be realistic for a standard port excursion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you google "Rail.Ninja" for 10 June from Flam, the cost per person for the round trip is £65 which will be about 85 to 90 USD.    $239 would appear grossly excessive for a train journey of 13km there and 13km back lasting an hour or so.

12 hours ago, Rawmac said:

If you google "Rail.Ninja" for 10 June from Flam, the cost per person for the round trip is £65 which will be about 85 to 90 USD.    $239 would appear grossly excessive for a train journey of 13km there and 13km back lasting an hour or so.

The excursion includes the coach trip to get to/from the train.