Jump to content

Recommended Posts

How easy is it to find the "Embarkation Supervisor" or the Special Needs/Access desk upon arriving at a terminal? I've heard mixed things about it --from just needing to find a Carnival worker when you get passed porters and they can guide you, to instead needing to get actually in the lines and inside the terminal building. I'd love some advice on what you've experienced or tips. Carnival Special Access told us to proceed to the Special Needs desk to get an embarkation supervisor to assist with some embarkation special needs issues. But, they didn't say how/where. I thought I'd ask here first for some "expert" advice.

Edited to add--Port of Miami

Thanks!

Edited by Vitamin Sea Addict
Missing detail
Link to post
Share on other sites

First I would call the Special Needs back and ask for a specific place to go to.

At the port any Carnival employee (not porters) should be able to direct you to desk.  If you need help with wheelchair/mobility issues please make sure you not only contact the Special needs ( Guest Access team at 1-800-438-6744 ext.70025 or email access@carnival.com) but in your booking documents you check the wheelchair help question.

More info here:

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs.aspx

In 2019 I had pinched nerves in both legs and could barely walk with either a cane or walker. Had to have a wheelchair on/off the ship and "scooter" onboard. All personnel were great and had no problems getting on/off. Checked wheelchair on documents and had a short conversation with the helpdesk prior to embarkation (30 days out).

 

Hope this helps!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate the responses! We have already submitted all of our Special Needs/Guest Access paperwork and that's how we were instructed about the supervisor. We don't have a need for a wheelchair etc so it's not a mobility issue. I will make sure to ask a Carnival employee before we get into the terminal because the noise/acoustics of the terminal is what has caused an issue for my son's disability. Thanks for all the personal experiences. I feel better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sidenote--has anyone been to port of Miami and can confirm whether the special access/needs desk is inside or outside of the terminal? We've had to stop at the customer service one before when they had our special access issues not set up correctly (sent there after standing in line for awhile and then scanning our boarding passes etc). Just planning.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how you are getting to the port or how many you are traveling with. Is it possible that someone in your party could go park the car with your son as you get an opportunity to go in and scope it out?

 

It has been a few years since we’ve been to Miami, and I wasn’t specifically looking, but don’t recall seeing anything outside the terminal. After security which was right inside the door it seems like there were a handful of people that were providing other directions. Again, wasn’t looking and didn’t need those services ourselves. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 7:20 PM, Vitamin Sea Addict said:

I appreciate the responses! We have already submitted all of our Special Needs/Guest Access paperwork and that's how we were instructed about the supervisor. We don't have a need for a wheelchair etc so it's not a mobility issue. I will make sure to ask a Carnival employee before we get into the terminal because the noise/acoustics of the terminal is what has caused an issue for my son's disability. Thanks for all the personal experiences. I feel better.

Hopefully they recommended that you arrive after 1:30 pm when it is pretty much walk on and no waiting in the terminal?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Hopefully they recommended that you arrive after 1:30 pm when it is pretty much walk on and no waiting in the terminal?

That's what I was thinking also.   There is no crowd at that time and very easy flow from start to end of getting on.   That eliminates so much of the commotion. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The first person you see with a carnival badge tell them you have a son with a disability and you were asked by carnival to contact a supervisor.  They will relay the message and the supervisor will come out. It will probably be the supervisor that handles special needs as they are usually the first group you encounter.

 

If you do not, the first indication to staff is when they scan your boarding pass or passport, after standing in line. They will get a message to "see supervisor" which will cause you more of a delay while they track down the supervisor that is in charge of that team.  The supervisor will then see what the need is and come out, again after you have already waited in line. 

 

Ask outside, before entering. Tell them you were told not to enter without a supervisor.  He or she should personally escort you all the way through at that time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 7:58 PM, Lottacruises said:

The first person you see with a carnival badge tell them you have a son with a disability and you were asked by carnival to contact a supervisor.  They will relay the message and the supervisor will come out. It will probably be the supervisor that handles special needs as they are usually the first group you encounter.

 

If you do not, the first indication to staff is when they scan your boarding pass or passport, after standing in line. They will get a message to "see supervisor" which will cause you more of a delay while they track down the supervisor that is in charge of that team.  The supervisor will then see what the need is and come out, again after you have already waited in line. 

 

Ask outside, before entering. Tell them you were told not to enter without a supervisor.  He or she should personally escort you all the way through at that time.

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to hear to hear--exactly how "firm" I need to be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...