How to know you are old

tonyd285

My beautiful blonde and I were on the Infinity earlier this month.  Sitting in the Sky Observation Lounge during the Elite cocktail time.the recorded music played a song and she asked "that sounds familiar."  Without even thinking i replied "that's the Glenn Miller Orchestra playing Perfidia."  At that moment I knew I was really old.  I guess that's why we now seem to prefer cruises to other vacation

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, tonyd285 said:

My beautiful blonde and I were on the Infinity earlier this month.  Sitting in the Sky Observation Lounge during the Elite cocktail time.the recorded music played a song and she asked "that sounds familiar."  Without even thinking i replied "that's the Glenn Miller Orchestra playing Perfidia."  At that moment I knew I was really old.  I guess that's why we now seem to prefer cruises to other vacation

my kind of music-still cruising and turning 81 this year

I’m not exactly young at 74, but I’ll vote on the great 60’s (and 50’s) music. Not into Glenn Miller and the 40’s...I do enjoy the Jazz of that period and love more modern classic jazz......and I’m well aware I don’t need to love Glenn Miller to know I’m old - Just notice how many young woman (and men) call you ‘sir’ or ‘mam’ ......that’s very telling. 

And on vacation? No more flying to Europe on cheap air in the back section (I upgrade to at least Comfort Plus-type); no more throwing a chunk of cheese and bread and a bottle of wine into my backpack and jumping on a train and going wherever (I need to have plans set, reservations made and hotel picked); no more hiking into the great wilderness and sleeping on the ground (I can hike into the ‘wilderness’ but there has to a nice Inn at the end-I’d need more than a bit of help getting up after Trying to sleep on the miserable ground!). 

Enough. Love hanging with younger people and trying not to do the ‘back in the good ole days’ and try to listen to what is reality now.

By the way, when I hear about “back in the good ole days”, I tell that person I get to pick who they’d be, and where they’d live and it wouldn’t be living next door to Beaver Cleaver (that aged me right there) and they might not consider it the ‘good ole days’.

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, George C said:

You are really old if Christoffer Columbus was your first Captain 

And if he was your frist Capt, you’d have called him Capt Cristoforo Colombo, or if you were one of the Spanish crew taken out of the prison in Cadiz, he’d be Christobal Colon.

Don’t you just love this type of silly posts!!

Den

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

I’m not exactly young at 74, but I’ll vote on the great 60’s (and 50’s) music. Not into Glenn Miller and the 40’s...I do enjoy the Jazz of that period and love more modern classic jazz......and I’m well aware I don’t need to love Glenn Miller to know I’m old - Just notice how many young woman (and men) call you ‘sir’ or ‘mam’ ......that’s very telling. 

And on vacation? No more flying to Europe on cheap air in the back section (I upgrade to at least Comfort Plus-type); no more throwing a chunk of cheese and bread and a bottle of wine into my backpack and jumping on a train and going wherever (I need to have plans set, reservations made and hotel picked); no more hiking into the great wilderness and sleeping on the ground (I can hike into the ‘wilderness’ but there has to a nice Inn at the end-I’d need more than a bit of help getting up after Trying to sleep on the miserable ground!). 

Enough. Love hanging with younger people and trying not to do the ‘back in the good ole days’ and try to listen to what is reality now.

By the way, when I hear about “back in the good ole days”, I tell that person I get to pick who they’d be, and where they’d live and it wouldn’t be living next door to Beaver Cleaver (that aged me right there) and they might not consider it the ‘good ole days’.

Den

Very nice post

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ExArkie said:

Fortunately, my eyesight is shot now, so I can't see that person in mirror unless I'm wearing my glasses.

That might be for the best...Leave your glasses some distance away...

Edited by chemmo

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I don't want to be young again. Age is only a number anyway. 😎

I may not want to be young again and my brain still feels young...it would just be nice sometimes if my body could keep up with it...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, chemmo said:

I may not want to be young again and my brain still feels young...it would just be nice sometimes if my body could keep up with it...

Ya ya gotta work at it a little more but it's well worth it. My mother is going on 94 and you would never know it. When I grow up I want to be like her. Every year she sets the bar higher. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Den

For the benefit of those of us abroad who don’t get the cultural reference could you explain who or what Beaver Cleaver is please? Thanks.

• Haha 2