I loath the Epic, how NCL got me to book her again...

NutsAboutGolf

I too was not very thrilled with the Epic when we sailed her a couple of years ago. However, the itinerary is also what swayed us. Will be on her in a few weeks. It's disappointing that none of the main shows/attractions on board the ship have changed. I'm sure some of the entertainers will be different, but we aren't ones to go out of our way to watch the main production shows over again. Guess we will find other things to do.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 2:00 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

The itinerary; can't wait to visit Aruba.

Bar none aruba is the best beach and safest port in the carribean, we love aruba, priced out many times going without a cruise the numbers dont work, to expensive unless on a ship, enjoy we love aruba, did i say we love aruba public bus to eagle beach, enjoy my lucky friend

Turns out I cancelled this booking the day after as I have friends in the planning phase of the same "ABC" itinerary around the same timeframe.  Could join them if everything works out but I wouldn't have a problem booking this cruise again if it doesn't work out.

The Epic is not one of our favorite NCL ships.  The ship's layout is strange and it aways seemed crowded.  Hated the bathroom situation.

Still, we would go on Epic again, if the price was right or itinerary was great.  NCL pricing is not working in its favor when we compare with other lines, since we don't want perks and book early.

Also, we did Aruba in 2012 and were somewhat disappointed. It was OK, but we love St. Lucia and Grenada that seemed more real Caribbean, not just a beach resort place.

I had sworn I would never sail on the Epic, because I am terrified of the bathroom layout and I don't like the lack of a Waterfront or even traditional promenade deck. But the Southern Caribbean itineraries have me considering it, because I went on a 12-day Southern Caribbean sailing on the Bliss in December and now all I can think about is getting back to Barbados....

10 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I had sworn I would never sail on the Epic, because I am terrified of the bathroom layout and I don't like the lack of a Waterfront or even traditional promenade deck. But the Southern Caribbean itineraries have me considering it, because I went on a 12-day Southern Caribbean sailing on the Bliss in December and now all I can think about is getting back to Barbados....

never let fear of a bathroom layout stop you from having a wonderful time! everybody poops! bring some poo-pouri and a "never say die" attitude and try something different! Concentrate on the positives, the Spice H2O is the best in fleet, the itinerary is fabulous and YOU ARE ON A CRUISE.....nuff said.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, stefmaia said:

never let fear of a bathroom layout stop you from having a wonderful time! everybody poops! bring some poo-pouri and a "never say die" attitude and try something different! Concentrate on the positives, the Spice H2O is the best in fleet, the itinerary is fabulous and YOU ARE ON A CRUISE.....nuff said.

Agree.  I've sailed on Epic and going again in 2 weeks. It's about the itinerary.  I don't understand the issues with the bathroom layout.  Someone can use the bathroom while another is in the shower or getting ready at the sink.  the separate bathroom keeps the poo-pouri separate.  there is still a door and it's not that opaque.  to me better than the traditional bathroom when 2 people trying to get ready, etc.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Krisco said:

Agree.  I've sailed on Epic and going again in 2 weeks. It's about the itinerary.  I don't understand the issues with the bathroom layout.  Someone can use the bathroom while another is in the shower or getting ready at the sink.  the separate bathroom keeps the poo-pouri separate.  there is still a door and it's not that opaque.  to me better than the traditional bathroom when 2 people trying to get ready, etc.  

The issue is that if someone is visiting your cabin, no way can you use the toilet.  Whatever you do in the toilet will be heard very well by anyone.

Not everyone is comfortable using the bathroom in front of their partner. I was with my ex-husband for 10 years and never once did we even go #1 in front of each other! With my current SO, we are a little more comfortable about that sort of thing, but still pretty much always close the door to the bathroom for #2... Anyway, I can't even begin to imagine trying to use that bathroom set-up around someone other than a romantic partner... like a sibling or parent or friend!

But honestly, the main thing I dislike about the bathroom layout is that you basically have to walk through the bathroom to get in and out of the cabin. I feel like with wet floors after showers with wet towels on the floor and such, that would be far less than ideal. I also feel like there would be an extreme lack of privacy for someone if they were in the toilet or shower when someone else was trying to enter or exit the room... as they would be exposed to the hallway. What if my partner wants to run up to the buffet to grab a coffee or pastries while I'm on the shower?

Some rooms have sink literally right next to the front of the bed and the curtain isn't a blackout curtain.  The other problem that I experienced one night due to rough seas, both the water closet door and the tub door would open and close due to rough seas.  I'd say the rolling of doors was somewhat soothing until the occasionally <BOOM> sound due to the doors slamming into the slider stops.  There are no latches for the doors to stop that from happening, luckily it was only one night.  Ironically it was a blessing in disguise as I couldn't sleep, went to the Bliss (club) and had an incredible time.

My wife and I have been married for 45 years so going number 1 or 2 isn't a big issue.  It's the toilet flush that is an issue for me.  Cruise ship toilets are loud enough when enclosed in a completely enclosed bathroom, but flushing the toilet on the Epic is akin to the noise of a quick blast from a jet engine in your cabin.  I'm a very early riser but my wife likes to sleep in so flushing my morning constitutional is a rude awakening for my poor wife.

The Epic has too many negatives for me to ever cruise on her again.  BTW, I just returned yesterday from an 11 day S. Caribbean cruise on the Epic and loved the ports we visited.

Just got off Epic... I have to agree ships layout is weird, bathroom layout in the standard rooms is also odd. We had our first Haven room for this trip, and... well that was pretty awesome. We are booked again on this ship over the summer.

As far as its current itinerary. It was pretty awesome.  Aruba was nice, Bonaire was amazing.  We both thought it could have used one more sea day to relax. Enjoy your trip. 

19 minutes ago, snownow said:

We had our first Haven room for this trip, and... well that was pretty awesome. We are booked again on this ship over the summer.

Are the bathrooms in the Haven "weird" as well?   - asking for a friend 🙂

34 minutes ago, nhtravels said:

Are the bathrooms in the Haven "weird" as well?   - asking for a friend 🙂

So we had an AFT haven room, and the bathroom was about all we did not like. Still a little close for comfort. But at least the bathroom was separated but a curtain and not in the middle of the room like standard rooms. We did look at the 2 bedroom, and that layout is more than fine.  Our bathroom gurgled a little at times, and had... well that smell. Its about all i did not like about this cruise. 

Edited by snownow
  • Like 1

I loved the EPIC because it was the start of the Studio rooms which revolutionized the ships to follow in creating special areas and hallways for solos.

When I was on the ship in 2011 it as compared to Allure of the Seas.  I did both and liked both for different reasons.

The joke about the EPIC is when looking at her front view, she looked a little like Donald Duck.  too funny.

I would do the EPIC again if I had the chance but so many new ships coming out.  I loved the Escape and Bliss.

We love the Epic, especially the Thermal Spa.

A balcony gives you plenty of time looking at the sea, and the spa actually has most of it co-ed so DW and I can be there and spend time together.

As for the bathroom, didn't really find it that difficult to use.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 12:56 PM, snownow said:

Just got off Epic... I have to agree ships layout is weird, bathroom layout in the standard rooms is also odd. We had our first Haven room for this trip, and... well that was pretty awesome. We are booked again on this ship over the summer.

As far as its current itinerary. It was pretty awesome.  Aruba was nice, Bonaire was amazing.  We both thought it could have used one more sea day to relax. Enjoy your trip. 

Do you have any dailies you would be willing to share? We’re considering this itinerary for next year. Which Haven room were you in? There are very few courtyard that aren’t 2BR it seems.

Edited by AtlantaAlly
Typo

On 1/26/2020 at 2:09 PM, FLAHAM said:

Conversely, I greatly enjoy the Epic and don't find Aruba to be much (did enjoy Bonaire, however). 

Aruba was OK, but it didn't WOW us.  Our favorite Caribbean islands were St. Lucia and Grenada, which seemed more authentically Caribbean.