What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

30 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

@charltonkerry,

Before doing anything I would speak to your TA and/or Regent.

Plus have a careful read of the UK Ts&Cs. My reading is that in your case Regent have made a "significant alteration" and therefore should offer you the choice of "a substitute package" or "a full refund".

i.e. I do not see that there is a need for you to invoke the new Regent Reassurance, and you should not end up out-of-pocket for any of the package of travel arrangements you booked with Regent. 

Kudos to Regent that they have finally brought their UK website up to date. We now have clear links to Regent's Coronavirus Protocol & the new Regent Reassurance. Also the altered itineraries in the Med are up to date.

"Everything comes to those who wait" .................... eventually 🙄

Agree Flossie, might still go, was just pointing out that Regent UK appears to have slightly different wording, unless the American site has been updated with the similar exclusion. I think  Regent UK might be pushing the UK consumer protection law as well especially in relation to package holidays.

Edited by charltonkerry

Well our cruise seemed to have totally altered, no longer going Venice to Rome now Volos to Athens going by the UK website, if true, well happy as we haven’t been to most of those ports, looks like we are departing 9th May for 9 nights, got 2 days in Istanbul. No idea if they cancelled the orient express portion either. But all this will be sorted in the coming days. So basically it looks like Regent are by passing Italy on our cruise at least.

3 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

I was going to ask where you got your statistics from but I already know that answer based on the fact that, at least in the United States, we have absolutely no idea how many people have the virus because of the test kit shortage. Additionally, for example, we have no idea how many people each of the roughly 3,000 people who disembarked the last cruise of the Grand Princess have come into contact with on their flight home and everywhere else they’ve been for the last couple weeks.

this shortage is wide spread, and not everybody goes to a doctor either. so the actual statistic is not known

“But public health experts say cruise ships are particularly dangerous places during outbreaks because of the combination of close quarters and staff members without the needed training and resources.
This is probably the least ideal environment to try and quarantine and maintain proper infection prevention measures,” said Saskia Popescu, an epidemiologist with Honor Health, a Phoenix hospital system.“

Read entire article:https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/dozens-of-passengers-on-a-stranded-cruise-ship-are-infected-by-coronavirus-that-number-could-soon-grow/2020/03/06/17cf1974-5fdb-11ea-b014-4fafa866bb81_story.html

2 hours ago, charltonkerry said:

I think  Regent UK might be pushing the UK consumer protection law as well especially in relation to package holidays.

I don't share your opinion.

IMO, Regent Reassurance is in addition to the UK Ts&Cs and statutory rights. It does not replace them:

• Under the Regent UK Ts&Cs (and UK statutory rights) you are entitled to a full refund of the "package" if Regent makes a "significant change". If Regent make no changes and you decide to cancel then you are liable for the normal cancellation penalties, with no compensation.
  • Under Regent Reassurance you can cancel up to 48 hrs prior, even if Regent have made no changes, and will receive a FCC to the value of the cruise only fare paid.

18 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

IMO, Regent Reassurance is in addition to the UK Ts&Cs and statutory rights. It does not replace them:

• Under the Regent UK Ts&Cs (and UK statutory rights) you are entitled to a full refund of the "package" if Regent makes a "significant change". If Regent make no changes and you decide to cancel then you are liable for the normal cancellation penalties, with no compensation.
  • Under Regent Reassurance you can cancel up to 48 hrs prior, even if Regent have made no changes, and will receive a FCC to the value of the cruise only fare paid.

As you say Flossie I could well be incorrect. 

• Thanks 1

Yes I have spoken to our TA about this too and she phoned UK Regent and they are adamant it’s cruise only fare FCC refund only. I for some reason thought with a “package” as purchased from Regent all under one ATOL number it was secure. She explained that the flights are non refundable likewise the pre cruise hotel. However if it’s a forced overnight stay as In transatlantic should that not be included in cruise fare? 🤔.

I know I am not fully up to speed with consumer laws, so I may be mixed up here.  Jean.

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

Where do you see the Reassurance FCC limit of "cruise only fare paid?"  Is this a UK thing?  Nothing in the RR statement on the Regent web site (US version) says anything about "cruise only," nor is there any linked T&C with more details.  The full statement:

“At Regent Seven Seas Cruises, our extended family of guests and crew is always at the center of everything we do, and the safety of our guests and crew is our top priority. With so much information coming from around the world very quickly, some may feel uneasy about traveling — especially if you have a voyage scheduled to sail during the next several months.

To ensure you feel confident about sailing with Regent, we are introducing Regent Reassurance on all existing bookings and all new bookings made by April 30, 2020. For all voyages embarking March 10, 2020 through September 30, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage sailing before December 31, 2022. We hope Regent Reassurance gives you the additional time, if needed, to evaluate conditions and help you feel confident in your decision to sail on your currently booked Regent voyage, or to sail on a future one.

Please know that our team is working tirelessly to navigate through these ever-changing circumstances — because our priority is to take care of you, our extended family. We look forward to welcoming you on board soon.”

How would they back out the included air fare in any case?  Yes, I know there is an implied value since you can determine the potential air credit by comparing the fare with and without air (and, inconsistently, it is sometimes stated), but our Regent booking statement doesn't break out the air.  It lists "cruise fare total" and then below that, "air arrangements" as $0.  The way the RR policy is stated, they have to be offering the "100% FCC" for the "cruise fare total."  Unless, again, this is the US policy versus UK or elsewhere.

Edited by Portolan

35 minutes ago, Portolan said:

Where do you see the Reassurance FCC limit of "cruise only fare paid?"  Is this a UK thing? 

See post #923 on previous page of this thread.

It appears that there are subtle differences between Regent's reassurance to their UK & US customers.

Full text of Regent Reassurance on Regent UK website is as follows (pity they didn't change "center" to the correct British spelling "centre" 🙄)

At Regent Seven Seas Cruises, our extended family of guests and crew is always at the center of everything we do, and the safety of our guests and crew is our top priority. With so much information coming from around the world very quickly, some may feel uneasy about traveling — especially if you have a voyage scheduled to sail during the next several months.

To ensure you feel confident about sailing with Regent, we are introducing Regent Reassurance. For all voyages embarking 10 March 2020 through 30 September 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit based on the cruise only fare (excluding air and Concierge Collection arrangements if applicable). Which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage sailing in 2020-2022. We hope Regent Reassurance gives you the additional time, if needed, to evaluate conditions and help you feel confident in your decision to sail on your currently booked Regent voyage, or to sail on a future one.

Please know that our team is working tirelessly to navigate through these ever-changing circumstances — because our priority is to take care of you, our extended family. We look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

1 hour ago, liptastic said:

Yes I have spoken to our TA about this too and she phoned UK Regent and they are adamant it’s cruise only fare FCC refund only.

See post #932 above.

My reading of things (under UK Ts&Cs) is:

• If Regent significantly changes or cancels the cruise, then the guest is entitled to a full refund (of all monies paid)
  • If the guest chooses to cancel then, prior to the introduction of Regent Reassurance, the guest would not be entitled to anything from Regent if within the 100% penalty phase. Now Regent are willing to offer a FCC for cancellations up to 48hrs before the cruise.

PS: ATOL is not relevant at this stage. ATOL ensures that UK customers don't lose the money they have paid, or become stranded abroad, if the travel company ceases trading.

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 1

More news from Regent through a TA:

Just got this update from our TA...😟 “we are modifying seven itineraries in April and May that previously included calls to Italian ports. Clients who choose to continue sailing the modified itineraries will receive a 25% Future Cruise Credit. Or they may cancel under the terms of Regent Reassurance. Travel Advisors with clients on these impacted voyages will receive individual communications advising of the modified itineraries. The impacted voyages are:

Seven Seas Splendor™: April 30th, May 12th and May 21st
Seven Seas Mariner®: April 8th and April 29th
Seven Seas Voyager®: April 16th and May 11th
The new itineraries will also be updated on RSSC.com

Thanks Susan. We are going to wait until the 48 hours which is a relief not having a shorter timescale. Our main concern is my husband works abroad and he would possibly not be able to return there after being in any countries of known CV which sadly is getting to be too few places without people affected with the virus. 
I am grateful to Regent changing the timescale .  Jean.

We are UK customers booked on the Voyager 11 May Venice to Jerusalem (Haifa) cruise. I see from the Regent website that this will now start in Gythion (?) and spend the first part of the trip in Greek waters rather than the Adriatic as planned making it a much less appealing cruise. Presumably it means flying to Athens and a long bus journey (4 hours?) from there to pick up Voyager in Gythion. This seems to me to be a pretty fundamental change so I am hoping that we will not have to rely on Regent Reassurance but should have the option of a full refund. Waiting for our TA and or or Regent to confirm. I do understand their logistical problems but I hope they do this quickly. Thanks, flossie for the useful analysis.

This must be a logistical nightmare for all cruise line companies. To be honest I would not like to be in their shoes trying to to from hour to hour having to make drastic changes and cancellations? Its  certainly not day to day at the moment.  I for one appreciate the updated information here on CC, obviously not what we all want to hear but at least it’s a valuable source of information for us all.  Jean

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Tucruisers said:

We are UK customers booked on the Voyager 11 May Venice to Jerusalem (Haifa) cruise. I see from the Regent website that this will now start in Gythion (?) and spend the first part of the trip in Greek waters rather than the Adriatic as planned making it a much less appealing cruise. Presumably it means flying to Athens and a long bus journey (4 hours?) from there to pick up Voyager in Gythion. This seems to me to be a pretty fundamental change so I am hoping that we will not have to rely on Regent Reassurance but should have the option of a full refund. Waiting for our TA and or or Regent to confirm. I do understand their logistical problems but I hope they do this quickly. Thanks, flossie for the useful analysis.

We are also on this cruise and agree with your disappointment.  The website is confusing but I believe we leave from Athens on the 11th.  Here is what my TA sent us:

Your new itinerary is below:

Date

Day

Port

Country

Arrival

Departure

11-May-20

Mon

Athens (Piraeus)

Greece

6:00 PM

12-May-20

Tue

Gythion*

Greece

8:00 AM

13-May-20

Wed

Katakolon*

Greece

7:00 PM

14-May-20

Thu

Corfu*

Greece

15-May-20

Fri

Cruising the Mediterranean Sea

At sea

16-May-20

Sat

Heraklion (Crete)

Greece

17-May-20

Sun

Santorini

Greece

18-May-20

Mon

Athens (Piraeus)

Greece

7:00 AM

19-May-20

Tue

Ephesus (Kusadasi)

Turkey

20-May-20

Wed

Rhodes

Greece

6:30 AM

3:00 PM

21-May-20

Thu

Limassol

Cyprus

11:00 AM

7:30 PM

22-May-20

Fri

Jerusalem (Haifa)

Israel

Overnight

23-May-20

Sat

Jerusalem (Haifa)

Israel

the US website does say the trip is from Gythion to Haifa  but the departure date remains May 11th.  It looks like whoever is responsible for the website is not very detail oriented. 

Edited by forgap

10 minutes ago, forgap said:

We are also on this cruise and agree with your disappointment.  The website is confusing but I believe we leave from Athens on the 11th.  Here is what my TA sent us:

Your new itinerary is below:

Date

Day

Port

Country

Arrival

Departure

11-May-20

Mon

Athens (Piraeus)

Greece

12-May-20

Tue

Gythion*

Greece

13-May-20

Wed

Katakolon*

Greece

7:00 PM

14-May-20

Thu

Corfu*

Greece

15-May-20

Fri

Cruising the Mediterranean Sea

At sea

16-May-20

Sat

Heraklion (Crete)

Greece

17-May-20

Sun

Santorini

Greece

18-May-20

Mon

Athens (Piraeus)

Greece

7:00 AM

19-May-20

Tue

Ephesus (Kusadasi)

Turkey

20-May-20

Wed

Rhodes

Greece

6:30 AM

3:00 PM

21-May-20

Thu

Limassol

Cyprus

11:00 AM

7:30 PM

22-May-20

Fri

Jerusalem (Haifa)

Israel

Overnight

23-May-20

Sat

Jerusalem (Haifa)

Israel

the US website does say the trip is from Gythion to Haifa  but the departure date remains May 11th.  It looks like whoever is responsible for the website is not very detail oriented. 

Thanks very much for this, very useful. The UK site now says the same thing. We will wait to see what Regent and our TA say and indeed see how the situation develops before taking a final decision.Better Athens than Gythion but this does seem to us a fundamental change and a less attractive cruise which we would not have booked had we known the itinerary. Incidentally, our TA said today that although Thea are awaiting final details from Regent we would get a FCC of 25% of the cruise only fare if we go ahead.

We will see! I should say that although it is all a bit confusing I do sympathise  with Regent staff and indeed others in the travel agency whose livelihoods and not just holidays may be affected by developments. I am sure they are doing their best!

57 minutes ago, liptastic said:

Thanks Susan. We are going to wait until the 48 hours which is a relief not having a shorter timescale. Our main concern is my husband works abroad and he would possibly not be able to return there after being in any countries of known CV which sadly is getting to be too few places without people affected with the virus. 
I am grateful to Regent changing the timescale .  Jean.

(Bolding mine).  This is a real concern.  Many of us may be willing to accept the risk and continue with a planned cruise.  However, if just one passenger or guest starts to exhibit flu symptoms (COVID-19 or otherwise), what will port authorities do?  We've already seen ships denied access to ports because of this situation.

On other threads, I've seen comments along the lines of... "if I going to be stuck on a ship, let it be a Regent ship".  I can certainly understand this sentiment, because as we all know being aboard Regent is a most enjoyable and pampered experience.  However, in the event of an onboard infection, guests might very well likely be confined to their suites, with meals delivered to be eaten in suite.   

I do not envy anyone wrestling with these decisions for near term sailings.  Let's all hope for the best, and that this situation is resolved sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

Needless to say, the current World Cruise itinerary is ever-changing due to the current situation.  I have no problems with the changes as I'm on for the long haul.  We lost Sri Lanka (they would allow the ship to dock for supplies/etc. but no one would have been allowed to leave the ship -- no crew or passengers).  Instead, we'll be arriving in Cochin a day early and staying overnight there.  Italy is also now eliminated.  Clues exist as to the substitute Mediterranean ports based on the RSSC website, but the announcement said that until they get confirmation on changes there will be no formal announcement.  

Last evening, while relaxing in the Mariner Lounge with the Solo & Social group, I told the General Manager and Eddie, the future cruise consultant, that I'll leave the ship when they kick me off.  I feel safer here than I would at home (northwest WA state).  Yes, I'm in a "vulnerable population" due to age and underlying health issues.  But I'm in a "vulnerable population" EVERY DAY, especially during flu season, and I've learned to deal with it (minimize exposure to large crowds in small spaces, wash hands at every opportunity, etc.).  I'm comfortable with the protocols in place on the ship and trust Regent to keep some distance between us and any higher-risk "hot spots" on our original itinerary.  When most of us boarded the ship (Jan 6 for those who boarded in Miami, Jan 24 for those who boarded in SF), the coronavirus crisis was still localized to China, with a single US case diagnosed on Jan 21.

I have two more cruises booked this year, and one each booked for 2021 and 2022.  As long as my health holds up, I fully intend to take them all and enjoy the heck out of them.

Lana (currently on the Mariner, docked in Portland, Australia on a beautiful sunny and cool day)

• Like 1

Lana

In you post above you said..........
“I feel
 safer here than I would at home (northwest WA state).  Yes, I'm in a "vulnerable population" due to age and underlying health issues.  But I'm in a "vulnerable population" EVERY DAY, especially during flu season, and I've learned to deal with it (minimize exposure to large crowds in small spaces, wash hands at every opportunity, etc.).  I'm comfortable with the protocols in place on the ship”

Thank you for reminding me!

Enjoy every day on your cruise no matter where your journey takes you. Be well! Be safe!

Your fan

Sheila

You know, I remember swine flu, I remember AIDS ( we were all gonna get it!!)... Dont you??? Enough! As I said good luck to all, washing your hands, etc , etc. Enjoy your cruise (if you go), If you dont, enjoy your life doing stuff! I'm done with this hysteria for a while, its not good for me , and I fathom, its not good for any of you.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

You know, I remember swine flu, I remember AIDS ( we were all gonna get it!!)... Dont you??? Enough! As I said good luck to all, washing your hands, etc , etc. Enjoy your cruise (if you go), If you dont, enjoy your life doing stuff! I'm done with this hysteria for a while, its not good for me , and I fathom, its not good for any of you.  

Maria

I am with you all the way. 
sheila

4 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

I was one of those who got the H1N1 swine flu. It was horrible. All three of us were incapacitated for 15 days. Didn’t allow anyone to deliver any food. Made a pot of soup each morning and went to bed. My daughter had it was 22 days. 

Wouldn’t wish anyone to get any of these viruses. 

These are difficult times...but hey we are lucky to be alive and see a new day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Hey people!! This is a virus!! You may think the government (any government!) can do something about it, but they can't, not really, only at the margins. You can keep complaining, expecting a solution, but its not forthcoming. This is like a hurricane, like a tornado, like an earthquake.... We can try to manage the aftermath, but there's no magic pill against it. Good luck!

My brother in law died from AIDS.

Our government can do their job and could have done their job for the last two months. We would at least have more test kits and some idea how many people here are infected. Our leadership needs to stop spending their energy telling us what a great job they are doing and how instinctively brilliant they are to start spending their time accomplishing something.

• Like 4