What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

Recently I have seen quite few people on YouTube and these boards instigating others to go on a cruise despite the current situation. Something like “I still would go” or even “it is up to you,” or “it’s a personal decision,” the implication being you’re kind of a wimp if you don’t go. Government agencies are far from perfect but they’re not all idiots and their opinion matters. And now I see, that instead of being honest and just saying, indeed, it is too dangerous and I was wrong, some persons are saying “oh, let’s see what my doctor says”. It is obvious that you are not going on that cruise so why not just say it?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

IMHO, hearing from both those who have cancelled (and their reasoning) as well as those that intend to take their cruise (and their reasoning) could be valuable for people reading this thread.  There is no right or wrong decision - we all base our decisions based on current information (some of which is accurate and some of which is not).

My Dad is going to be 85. If he was planning on getting on a plane or cruise ship right now I would be hysterical. I really hope you rethink this. I am sure your kitties will thank you, too.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, greykitty said:

What happened to that two day travel agents cruise on Splendor?  I read it was cancelled?  I wonder why....

While I don't have an answer - it was probably just taking extra precautions.  

mdunne48 - thank you - great information!

Edited by Travelcat2

Last updated: February 29, 4:40 GMT 

There are two sources that provide age, sex, and comorbidity statistics: 

•  
  • The Report of the WHO-China Joint Mission published on Feb. 28 by WHO, [2] which is based on 55,924 laboratory confirmed cases. The report notes that "The Joint Mission acknowledges the known challenges and biases of reporting crude CFR early in an epidemic" (see also our discussion on: How to calculate the mortality rate during an outbreak)
  • A paper by the Chinese CCDC released on Feb. 17, which is based on 72,314 confirmed, suspected, and asymptomatic cases of COVID-19 in China as of Feb. 11, and was published in the Chinese Journal of Epidemiology [1]

We will list data from both, labeling them as "confirmed cases" and "all cases" respectively in the tables.

Age of Coronavirus Deaths

COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19. 

confirmed cases 
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old 
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old 

8.0%
60-69 years old 

3.6%
50-59 years old 

1.3%
40-49 years old 

0.4%
30-39 years old 

0.2%
20-29 years old 

0.2%
10-19 years old 

0.2%
0-9 years old 

no fatalities 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

This is precisely why CDC, US State Department and WHO has issued their travel advisories. Note these are WHO statistics.

Edited by Gray Eagle02
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On these Regent boards.  Let me see if I can find the first post mentioning it.

OK, first post confirming the cancellation was #186 in the Live Blog Splendor 2/25 topic.  It had been mentioned previously.  I think Travelcat2 confirmed it was cancelled, but said she had no info specifically why.   I mean, I think we all figure Covid19 related, but who knows for sure?

Edited by greykitty

11 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

The TA cruise on 3/30 is cancelled as well.

Thanks!  I must be going blind from being online so much.  I can't find a cruise on 3/30.  Do you mean the April 3rd TA on Explorer?

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thanks!  I must be going blind from being online so much.  I can't find a cruise on 3/30.  Do you mean the April 3rd TA on Explorer?

The Splendor arrives in Miami on the 30th but doesn’t start the Caribbean cruise until April 1. Maybe they had another short “get acquainted” cruise for TA’s?

Edited by kaleighsgram

48 minutes ago, behooves said:

I think that everyone who posts here is an adult.  I think that it is safe to say that we are all very well aware of the situation.  Is it not somewhat patronizing to be telling people what they should or should not be doing?  Is it not impolite to be mentioning a person's age here?

Agree 100 percent. It is more than rude. It is an invasion of privacy. FYI the info was incorrect😼

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Agree 100 percent. It is more than rude. It is an invasion of privacy. FYI the info was incorrect😼

I assume you are discussing my comment about your husband's age. When you did your blog on your last cruise when it was his birthday, his age was discussed. That is the only way I knew it and you posted numerous photos.

Did not mean to offend you, just concerned for the both of you.  It puts him in a very high category for something to happen if he gets exposed to COVID-19. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I assume you are discussing my comment about your husband's age. When you did your blog on your last cruise when it was his birthday, his age was discussed. That is the only way I knew it and you posted numerous photos.

Did not mean to offend you, just concerned for the both of you.  It puts him in a very high category for something to happen if he gets exposed to COVID-19. 

Sorry, your posts as they refer to Travelcat and her husband are bordering on harassment, regardless of your good intentions.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

It is not an invasion of privacy if TC2 discussed age and health in prior post. You can’t have it both ways.

41 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Most of us would not have seen this discussion. There is no reason to disclose other person's information, even if you did see i somewhere. There is a reason why most - if not all - people here use handles. if a person is concerned about someone's age just referring to your/your DW/DH etc "age" or "age to be of a concern" is sufficient, without going into specifics. IMHO

16 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

It is not an invasion of privacy if TC2 discussed age and health in prior posts You can’t have it both ways.

To be clear, I have NEVER stated my DH's age on CC (nor have I discussed his health).  I have posted that we at risk due to his age and my immune-compromised system.  I am horrified by this (and do know where the information came from and it was not from the poster but rather from a friend of the poster).  

P.S.  I did discuss his BIG birthday last year but did not state his age.  

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kiwifromkiev said:

Most of us would not have seen this discussion. There is no reason to disclose other person's information, even if you did see i somewhere. There is a reason why most - if not all - people here use handles. if a person is concerned about someone's age just referring to your/your DW/DH etc "age" or "age to be of a concern" is sufficient, without going into specifics. IMHO

Sorry for double post.  I am obviously furious!

Edited by Travelcat2

4 minutes ago, Kiwifromkiev said:

Thank you for your post.  I have mentioned that we are both "targets" of the coronavirus (and I have not stated my age either...... when asked I say that "cats don't tell their age".  

• Haha 1