Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Travelcat2

What is being done about coronavirus.....

Recommended Posts

Had difficulty editing last post.  Many people are going through a very difficult time right now.  While Regent bashing is not unusual, now may not be the right time (or climate) to be doing this.  It makes things worse for those affected - not better.  

 

I can’t help but to recall a time when I bashed Regent for not being open during a crisis.  I was not only wrong, but got bashed from Frank Del Rio for posting what I posted (incorrect information provided by another poster).  Regent was working around the clock trying to fix the situation (another one that they did not cause).  Even FDR was in the office on the weekend taking calls.

 

So, unless we are at Regent headquarters - in the meetings, perhaps we should open our ears and eyes and close our mouths.  This is what I learned from the prior incident and why I do not assume that I know what is going on at the top levels of NCLH.

 

Thanks to all of you that are posting up to date information information on the Coronavirus crisis.  It really helps!

Edited by Travelcat2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

It may be up to date in the U.K., however, it is not in the U.S.

????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Had difficulty editing last post.  Many people are going through a very difficult time right now.  While Regent bashing is not unusual, now may not be the right time (or climate) to be doing this.  It makes things worse for those affected - not better.  

 

I can’t help but to recall a time when I bashed Regent for not being open during a crisis.  I was not only wrong, but got bashed from Frank Del Rio for posting what I posted (incorrect information provided by another poster).  Regent was working around the clock trying to fix the situation (another one that they did not cause).  Even FDR was in the office on the weekend taking calls.

 

So, unless we are at Regent headquarters - in the meetings, perhaps we should open our ears and eyes and close our mouths.  This is what I learned from the prior incident and why I do not assume that I know what is going on at the top levels of NCLH.

 

Thanks to all of you that are posting up to date information information on the Coronavirus crisis.  It really helps!

TravelCat2 or Jackie, Although I agree with you on this point.  We have to remember if your going/getting ready to go on a Regent Cruise and you aren't getting the information you need-it doesn't make a difference at all who's working or taking calls at Regent Headquarters.  You have to agree if you were traveling in a few days to meet your cruise, you'd want up to date information to help decide what you want to do.  I realize Regent is having a rough time right now and may not have all the answers---but customers have a need and right to know the facts.  But Bashing anyone is wrong and doesn't help matters.

Edited by ronrick1943

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

TravelCat2 or Jackie, Although I agree with you on this point.  We have to remember if your going/getting ready to go on a Regent Cruise and you aren't getting the information you need-it doesn't make a difference at all who's working or taking calls at Regent Headquarters.  You have to agree if you were traveling in a few days to meet your cruise, you'd want up to date information to help decide what you want to do.  I realize Regent is having a rough time right now and may not have all the answers---but customers have a need and right to know the facts.  But Bashing anyone is wrong and doesn't help matters.

 

I do understand what people are going through.  I am mostly reading Roll Calls for the affected cruises as this thread (which I began for informational purposes), has posters blasting Regent that are not even affected by the Coronavirus restrictions.  Believe it or not, what other cruise lines are doing now does not dictate what Regent will do (at least it hasn't in the past).  It seems that even Oceania is taking different steps than Regent is (but they do have their own President/CEO - more ships to consider, etc.) 

 

One thing that AFFECTED passengers are concerned about is the mis-information that Regent gave out about transiting through Hong Kong.  While they were following information that was provided at that point in time.  Regent is likely concerned that they could give out another embarkation port (for the March 1st cruise) and the next day it will change.  

 

Another issue is flights.  Obviously, anyone that booked air through Regent will have new flights to whichever embarkation port is selected.   The problem is for passengers that booked their own flights (which I believe that you do and we do upon occasion).  I can not even imagine how that will be handled.

 

The bottom line for me is that Regent will assign new ports that are deemed "safe" (well, as safe as they can be ...... stops in the U.S. run the risk of getting the flu which, at this moment in time, is far worse than Coronavirus - but most/many. of us have had the flu shot).  IF they cannot find suitable ports, they will likely cancel the cruise.  It is as simple (and as complicated) as that.

 

Lastly, for anyone that thinks that Regent management is onboard Splendor celebrating and ignoring the situation, they could not be more wrong.  Based on my knowledge of Regent, whether they are on a ship, on vacation or anywhere else, they are working constantly at solving this issue and won't stop until it is resolved.

 

I appreciate your thoughtful post (and you can certainly call me Jackie).  Hopefully we will hear better news soon.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Travelcat2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was just announced that Malaysia is now closed to cruise ships.  The Celebrity Millennium was due to stop in Malaysia, then Bangkok, then Singapore.  The passengers on board were just notified that they are ending the cruise early and going back to Singapore immediately!  They are getting a 100% refund and 50% FCC.  They provide hotel accommodations in Singapore if guests need additional nights.  They get complimentary internet and phone access.  

 

Which cruiseline will you choose for your next cruise???

Celebrity letter.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see that anyone on this thread is "bashing" Regent (I looked up the definition).  People are concerned and want information.  Regent and other cruise lines are in a difficult position as the landscape around this virus outbreak changes and will continue to change.  Criticism of unexplained decisions, in particular, is to be expected. 

 

No one who is not part of the management team really knows what Regent is doing unless Regent informs its guests and the public.  If Regent has a crisis team and is working around the clock then let guests know.  During a crisis, communication is important and there is no reason why Regent can't do daily updates prominently displayed on its webpage.  The updates may be inconclusive but they can provide information about the issues that need to be resolved and explain why decisions can't be made immediately.  They might, for example, explain how a crisis team has been assembled and who is on it--information to reassure guests that Regent truly is doing the best it can to resolve the crisis.

 

And yes, it is probable that no matter what Regent does someone will not like the response.  But that is the nature of crises.  Silence from a company in a crisis that affects customers is not golden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI - Regent is communicating with AFFECTED passengers.  Non-affected passengers, IMHO, do not need to know at this point as it does not affect them.  Bottom line is that they are not being silent!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Another Court jester said:

It was just announced that Malaysia is now closed to cruise ships.  The Celebrity Millennium was due to stop in Malaysia, then Bangkok, then Singapore.  The passengers on board were just notified that they are ending the cruise early and going back to Singapore immediately!  They are getting a 100% refund and 50% FCC.  They provide hotel accommodations in Singapore if guests need additional nights.  They get complimentary internet and phone access.  

 

Which cruiseline will you choose for your next cruise???

Celebrity letter.jpg

 

Without a doubt I would choose Regent.  We have sailed Celebrity - they are a very good premium cruise line but nowhere near a Regent Experience.  The passengers will be lucky if they are able to get flights out of Singapore since the port in Malaysia is closed to cruise ships.  Singapore borders Malaysia and I suspect that they will be the next country to close their port.  

 

I noted that passengers of Celebrity need to contact their air carriers.  For Regent passengers that booked air through Regent, they will be provided with new Business Class flights home with no additional cost.  Regent would not only give passengers included air to return home but a hotel and money towards food as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found Regent to be extremely helpful and responsive for not only myself but also my family on the next leg as well.  They are being very accommodating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I have found Regent to be extremely helpful and responsive for not only myself but also my family on the next leg as well.  They are being very accommodating.

 

Thank you for posting on this board.  Unaffected people need to know the truth and you were able to give them that.  Enjoy every moment of your vacation!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

FYI - Regent is communicating with AFFECTED passengers.  Non-affected passengers, IMHO, do not need to know at this point as it does not affect them.  Bottom line is that they are not being silent!

 

I happen to agree, I believe affected cruisers are being kept informed by Regent.  Other like myself really wants to know, however it's important that Regent spends their time with current and about to cruise passengers.  They really don't need to broadcast to the world.  We cruise April 1 and I'm sure we'll get information as we get closer to the date, and I'm sure we'll get the information. 
As of now we're looking forward to that date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

FYI - Regent is communicating with AFFECTED passengers.  Non-affected passengers, IMHO, do not need to know at this point as it does not affect them.  Bottom line is that they are not being silent!

 

That is 100% correct.   Regent has its hands full sorting out what itineraries CAN be done - and safely.  Those whose cruises are not impacted do not need to be contacted.  Those whose upcoming cruises ARE impacted are being told...  not much more to be said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regent has an extremely generous solution in the works...contact your TA for info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

Regent has an extremely generous solution in the works...contact your TA for info.

It would be nice if they would share with us. We are on the mar 1 sailing. so far what has been offered to the Feb 12 cruisers is far more generous than what we have been offered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contact your TA and ask. The feb 12 sailing has been impacted far more substantially than the one following it. Be patient while Regent works to help those ahead of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Pcardad & @Sharle,

Have new itineraries been confirmed for the forthcoming Voyager cruises - Feb 12, March 01 and March 13 sailings?

 

@Pcardad,

Hope you are still enjoying Bali. When do you fly home? ............ or are you extending your land-based vacation to substitute for missing the cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

flossie009, I have not been informed of a new itinerary and the Regent website has not changed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Uk version of the Regent website is still showing no change in relation to the Feb 12 “Eastern Contrasts” cruise Bali to Hong Kong via Singapore. I am still being invited to seek a quote for this cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Mar 1 passenger at present I have no information from Regent or TA other than “we are working on it”

 

Certainly know it is a fast changing situation however to claim that the mar 1 has not been substantially impacted is a slight understatement as embarkation port is different, Japan may or may not be on the itinerary as Taiwan is already deleted and even Vietnam may stop port calls.

 

If we fly home from Bangkok we then have to self isolate for 14 days, as per UK govt advice.

 

look forward to further information

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Regent has an extremely generous solution in the works...contact your TA for info.

Please tell us! Has anyone been offered full  refund?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are also on the March 1st sailing doing two cruises which end in Bangkok.  We have heard absolutely nothing from either our travel agent or Regent.  Someone said earlier about some sort of refund and a future cruise credit - again we've heard nothing about this from anyone.  Where did you hear this from?  For those people on this thread sailing on February 12th what is your new itinerary?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are on 13 March sailing.

 

The quoted link (above) to Regent's statement is not on the UK website as highlighted by flossie009 but can be found at this link: https://www.rssc.com/coronavirus-statement.  From it, we know that that the cruises on 12 Feb, 1 Mar and 13 Mar are being reviewed and rearranged. We, too, have heard nothing from our Travel agent or Regent directly - but we would expect advice to go through our TA.  And, Regent's offices in the UK are closed on Sunday. Rearranging itineraries will be carried out by US related staff and not those in the UK.  We will wait - there are those with much higher priorities than ours.

 

1 hour ago, Another Court jester said:

If we fly home from Bangkok we then have to self isolate for 14 days, as per UK govt advice.

 

We only have to self isolate if we start to feel ill as per GOV.UK advice directly quoted below:

 

Based on the scientific advice of SAGE the UK Chief Medical Officers are advising anyone who has travelled to the UK from mainland China, Thailand, Japan, Republic of Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia or Macau in the last 14 days and is experiencing cough or fever or shortness of breath, to stay indoors and call NHS 111, even if symptoms are mild.

 

Waiting is never easy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Regent has an extremely generous solution in the works...contact your TA for info.

I know that in the past Mr. FDR has always done the right thing and do not think this time will be any different.  This comment covers about 15 years following him on these boards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RJB said:

I know that in the past Mr. FDR has always done the right thing and do not think this time will be any different.  This comment covers about 15 years following him on these boards.

What are they doing for the Feb 12 th cruise? Full refund of Future cruise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...