What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

Hong Kong is caught up in this as well now. Posts on the Asia forum indicate that some cruise lines (Royal Caribbean, Celebrity) will deny boarding to passengers who have been to Hong Kong in the past 15 days, including just transiting.  Also, Italy today suspended all flights to China, including Hong Kong. So it seems very likely that Regent will make a change.

Update:

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Partner,

We would like to provide you with an important update regarding your upcoming Regent Seven Seas Cruises® voyage embarking on February 12, 2020.

Your cruise itinerary and land program remains unchanged.

The safety, security and well-being of our guests and crew is our number one priority. As such, due to the growing concern regarding coronavirus infections in China, guests who have visited mainland China within 30 days of their voyage embarkation will not be allowed to board a Regent Seven Seas Cruises’ ship. Kindly note Hong Kong is not considered part of mainland China and guests who have visited Hong Kong will be permitted to sail.

In addition, we are implementing non-touch temperature screenings for all passengers embarking in Hong Kong. Any guest who registers a body temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or 38 degrees Celsius or higher, will not be allowed to board.

We truly appreciate your understanding and thank you for your assistance in helping to ensure all guests and crew remain in good health. We also thank you for your continued loyalty.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone can disagree with that policy, I for one think it's the right thing to do to protect those that are cruising. Think about how many times you're on a plane and someone is coughing, blowing their nose and don't care of they pass something on to others...........👍for Regent on this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

Update:

We would like to provide you with an important update regarding your upcoming Regent Seven Seas Cruises® voyage embarking on February 12, 2020.

The safety, security and well-being of our guests and crew is our number one priority. As such, due to the growing concern regarding coronavirus infections in China, guests who have visited mainland China within 30 days of their voyage embarkation will not be allowed to board a Regent Seven Seas Cruises’ ship. Kindly note Hong Kong is not considered part of mainland China and guests who have visited Hong Kong will be permitted to sail.

In addition, we are implementing non-touch temperature screenings for all passengers embarking in Hong Kong. Any guest who registers a body temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or 38 degrees Celsius or higher, will not be allowed to board.

We truly appreciate your understanding and thank you for your assistance in helping to ensure all guests and crew remain in good health. We also thank you for your continued loyalty.

just got the same email for Mar 1 embarkation. I guess we go or lose our money. If airlines stop flying to Hong Kong they will have to change their decision but as of now our flight is not cancelled

Over on Mr. Rumor’s Splendor pre-christening cruise thread, one of the cruisers next week posted the coronavirus email she received from Regent. The email was identical to the one posted here plus the addition of a sentence stating: “If you have traveled to mainland China within 30 days of your cruise, please contact your Travel Advisor or Regent Reservations at 1.844.4REGENT (1.844.473.4368) so we may begin the process of cancelling your upcoming voyage and starting the refund process.“  (See: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2729732-splendor-the-pre-christening-inaugural-transatlantic-cruise-a-live-joint-blog/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-59287780)

So it appears there will be refunds for anyone who has visited China within the past 30 days and the trip insurance information was not correct.

Dave

Edited by DaveFr
  • Like 1

Norwegian Cruise Line

Norwegian Cruise Line is screening passengers before boarding from Chinese ports and denying entry to anyone who has a body temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius) or more. NCL is also denying boarding to embarking guests who have been to Wuhan in the last 30 days.

jade_ship_web.jpg

According to the German cruise site Schiffe und Kreuzfahrten, this applies to Norwegian Jade departures from Hong Kong on January 25 and January 30. The same source adds that guests who are denied boarding on Norwegian Jade are not entitled to reimbursement of the travel price by the company. Those affected should submit a reimbursement request to their insurer.

Perhaps they recognize what splendid people you all are and offer you special consideration?

Or perhaps there is a difference in corporate refund policy for visiting China vs. trying to board with a fever?

The email that was sent to my people contains the same clause way way down at the bottom. My apologies for not including it. 

If you have traveled to mainland China within 30 days of your cruise, please contact your Travel Advisor or Regent Reservations at 1.844.4REGENT (1.844.473.4368) so we may begin the process of cancelling your upcoming voyage and starting the refund process.

Thank you for choosing Regent Seven Seas Cruises.

Sincerely,

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Edited by Pcardad

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

I agree. I would not leave the ramp without a document saying I was refused boarding due to temperature and health reasons.

I agree you should get it in writing, then turn to your insurance company--that's why you buy insurance.  Because your sick, it's not Regents fault, frankly I'm tried of seeing people not caring about others-just themselves.  

36 minutes ago, mrstanley said:

I’m more concerned about getting the Flu!

Regent should require all crew and passengers to submit proof of vaccination

prior to boarding. 

I could not agree more. Of course a doctors waver for those few folks who can not get the vaccination.

There is no vaccination for Coronovirus.  So, that possibility is out.

You are far more likely to get Norovirus.  It's going to look similar at the outset.  You will be quarantined aboard the ship.  That sucks. I was really happy to see Germstar in the dispensers aboard Explorer last week.  This is about the only thing that I know of that will kill Norovirus.  I carry it with me in a spray form when I travel.  I spray down surfaces in my cabin as a matter of course.  I don't know if Germstar will kill Coronovirus.  It probably hasn't been tested against it. 

In my opinion, they should make temperature testing before we board every cruise a standard procedure.  I was pleased to see the hand washing stations in LaVeranda.  I used them, but most people blew past them.  Regent should also stop self-service in LaVeranda and the Pool Bar.  Staff should plate all items.  Sharing serving spoons is asking for trouble.  This would help us avoid a lot of nasty bugs.

Ice cubes and cold compress before boarding; just to be on the safe side.  As for those sinks in La Verandah, a terrible design flaw.  Imagine time if everyone stopped plus I don't think they are automatic; you need to touch the soap dispenser.

Marc

In 2011 we were to board a Regent 14 day cruise in Istanbul and on the health form owned up to a runny nose and cough. Next thing we knew, we were in the medical centre being tested for Flu A and B.   Luckily it was just a cold and we were soon checking in with champagne in hand. We still wonder what would have happened if it had have been flu. Probably left on the dock in Istanbul. 
On another cruise line a few years later my husband went to the medical centre with a fever and feeling ill. It turned out to be influenza A and he was quarantined in our cabin for 4 days.  I could come and go and didn’t catch it. 

Edited by jillyf
Adding