Jump to content

What is being done about coronavirus.....


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

In 2003 Radisson kept Diamond in Caribbean instead of moving it to Mediterranean.  Voyager stayed in Mediterranean her maiden year. 
 

marc

was it something to do with global events though? (just curious)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regent is not under the same ownership as it was in 2003 so what was done 17 years ago has nothing whatsoever to do with now.  And, Regent is doing an excellent job of advising guests of their options.  Beyond that, unless stockholders clamor to be told what Regent is doing with their ships it is simply none of our business.

 

Perhaps a separate thread would be appropriate to discuss the financials of Regent (better yet - this discussion might work in the already started thread about NCLH stock ownership).  I started this thread to discuss coronavirus - what is being done and any updates.  Cancellations certainly fall under the "coronavirus umbrella" but was not meant to include thoughts on whether or not Regent will go bankrupt, etc.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

 

Yes, depending on how long the order stays in effect, it would appear that upcoming cruise stops will likely have to be changed.  The current report on i24 says anyone returning from abroad must self quarantine for 14 days.

 

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israel/1583776776-netanyahu-all-those-traveling-to-israel-ordered-to-14-day-quarantine

 

Just thinking that perhaps Regent would cancel Egypt and substitute another port (or substitute both Israel and Egypt?).

 

In terms of what "part" of the U.S. government is saying, keep in mind that, so far, promises made on the federal level are not being kept (still no testing kits in Washington - promised by last Saturday).  It should also be noted that neither the CDC or the World Health Organization has suggested that people in the U.S. stop cruising (whether they are possibly compromised or not).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, btreklaw said:

The parent company is Norwegian Cruise Lines.  NCLH (traded on the stock market) Onws Norwegian, Oceana and Regent. The company is more than sound financially.

I think you may have a different definition of sound than most. Analysts were pretty bearish about their debt levels even before today. Their stock being halved makes it even worse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, btreklaw said:

The parent company is Norwegian Cruise Lines.  NCLH (traded on the stock market) Onws Norwegian, Oceana and Regent. The company is more than sound financially.

 

Thank you so much for being the voice of reason (and of truth).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

It should also be noted that neither the CDC or the World Health Organization has suggested that people in the U.S. stop cruising (whether they are possibly compromised or not).  

 

Not trying to be argumentative, just sharing this from the CDC website.  I believe it was updated yesterday.

 

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/covid-19-cruise-ship

 

COVID-19 and Cruise Ship Travel

Key Points

  • CDC recommends travelers, particularly those with underlying health issues, defer all cruise ship travel worldwide.
  • Sustained community spread of respiratory illness caused by COVID-19 has been reported in many countries.
  • Cruise ship passengers are at increased risk of person-to-person spread of infectious diseases, including COVID-19.
  • Older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease. This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships.
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

 

Thank you so much for being the voice of reason (and of truth).  

To be clear, I'm not saying NCLH is imminently going to go bankrupt, certainly not, but it isn't exactly sitting on a huge pile of cash to weather a long term storm either.

 

I really hope for everyone's sake some sanity comes to the markets and some semblance of control comes over this utter bonkers hysteria more sooner than later.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

 

Not trying to be argumentative, just sharing this from the CDC website.  I believe it was updated yesterday.

 

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/covid-19-cruise-ship

 

COVID-19 and Cruise Ship Travel

Key Points

  • CDC recommends travelers, particularly those with underlying health issues, defer all cruise ship travel worldwide.
  • Sustained community spread of respiratory illness caused by COVID-19 has been reported in many countries.
  • Cruise ship passengers are at increased risk of person-to-person spread of infectious diseases, including COVID-19.
  • Older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease. This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships.

 

My bad - I should not have mentioned the CDC as they are part of the problem - not the solution (in my opinion).  Will check out the latest from the World Health Organization to see if their recommendation about cruising is the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

 

My bad - I should not have mentioned the CDC as they are part of the problem - not the solution (in my opinion).  Will check out the latest from the World Health Organization to see if their recommendation about cruising is the same.

Oh, yes.  WHO is right on top of the situation with the latest travel advisory dated 2/29:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/travel-advice

Italy apparently didn’t get the memo.

Mad

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

 

 It should also be noted that neither the CDC or the World Health Organization has suggested that people in the U.S. stop cruising (whether they are possibly compromised or not).  

Sorry, that's not correct, as stated by the CDC here

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/covid-19-cruise-ship

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MadMarine said:

Oh, yes.  WHO is right on top of the situation with the latest travel advisory dated 2/29:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/travel-advice

Italy apparently didn’t get the memo.

Mad

 

I have checked that site but did not see any statement that says to avoid all cruise travel.  If I'm missing it, kindly let me know which paragraph you saw it in.  Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Travelcat2 said:

 

I have checked that site but did not see any statement that says to avoid all cruise travel.  If I'm missing it, kindly let me know which paragraph you saw it in.  Thank you!

That was my point.  WHO is behind the curve (last traveler advisory on 2/29), is not updating their traveler information in a fluid and dynamic fashion.  Unlike the CDC, which is providing near daily updates to keep US citizens informed.  That’s a major difference in my book.  
Mad

Link to post
Share on other sites

This the relevant part of the WHO recommendations:
 

”Recommendations for international travellers

It is prudent for travellers who are sick to delay or avoid travel to affected areas, in particular for elderly travellers and people with chronic diseases or underlying health conditions.”

Elsewhere in the statement they define affected areas to include those countries with diagnosed cases.

So that makes, CDC and the US Department of State who advise all US citizens to avoid boarding cruise ships, and WHO who advises elderly and people with chronic diseases to delay or avoid travel to affected areas. 
And no they don’t specifically mention cruises but they don’t specify any means of travel in their advisory. 

 

Edited by Gray Eagle02
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gray Eagle02 said:

This the relevant part of the WHO recommendations:
 

”Recommendations for international travellers

It is prudent for travellers who are sick to delay or avoid travel to affected areas, in particular for elderly travellers and people with chronic diseases or underlying health conditions.”

Elsewhere in the statement they define affected areas to include those countries with diagnosed cases.

So that makes, CDC and the US Department of State who advise all US citizens to avoid boarding cruise ships, and WHO who advises elderly and people with chronic diseases to delay or avoid travel to affected areas. 
 

 

+1

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Caroldoll said:

How could they test when they didn't have the make-up of the virus.  Yes, the first kits were not made right, but they are now.  After there is a new virus, they have to analyze it and then make the kits, then the vaccine and then therapy.  Takes time

South Korea has tested over 100,000 of its citizens,  The UK has tested 25,000.  These countries used the test developed by the WHO, in January 2020, to detect this strain of corona virus.  Our CDC didn't want to use the WHO testing platform.  Therefore they developed their own version (delays and bad test kits resulted).  The USA has tested 4,400 as of 4 p.m. on Monday 3/9/2020.  I think it fair to say that the U.S. didn't have the preparedness of other countries to deal with this ongoing health emergency.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mdunne48 said:

South Korea has tested over 100,000 of its citizens,  The UK has tested 25,000.  These countries used the test developed by the WHO, in January 2020, to detect this strain of corona virus.  Our CDC didn't want to use the WHO testing platform.  Therefore they developed their own version (delays and bad test kits resulted).  The USA has tested 4,400 as of 4 p.m. on Monday 3/9/2020.  I think it fair to say that the U.S. didn't have the preparedness of other countries to deal with this ongoing health emergency.   

 

Thank you for sharing the important information.  Unfortunately, it supports my beliefs about the CDC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

From the new rules post, sounds like Regent, and no doubt other cruise lines, are trying a bit harder to handle disease transmission.  Rumors are that Pence told cruise execs to come up with stringent new plans by Tuesday (oh, today) or face quite drastic action.  Also lots of stories of fights between the administration and the airlines (well, maybe it would be difficult for airlines to track all their passengers the way that is desired).

 

Apart from rumors, I take Boston cancelling the St Patrick's Day Parade as being serious.  As well as Ohio State suspending face to face classes through the end of March.

 

ETA - Washington State guidance for the immunosuppressed  - they seem to have the most state side experience so far

 

People who are immunocompromised "are at higher risk from this illness, as well as other illnesses like the flu. Avoiding contact with ill people is crucial," Washington state's Snohomish Health District said.

Snohomish County is where the first US case of novel coronavirus was reported in January. Since then, more than 700 people in the US have been infected, and at least 26 have died — mostly in Washington state.

Even before the coronavirus outbreak, those with weakened immune systems often suffered more severe complications when sickened while traveling.

"While rates of infection may not differ significantly between healthy and immunocompromised travelers, the latter are at greater risk for severe disease," according to researchers from the Washington University School of Medicine.

 

 

I just hope people don't get so entrenched in their desires that they don't take medical advice regarding traveling - even if multiple governmental entities across the world are clearly saying it's a no go for travel, especially for the older and/or having underlying medical issues, as well as to help contain the virus' spread.  What's that phrase about not cutting off your nose to spite your face?

Edited by greykitty
Link to post
Share on other sites

Shippy

  • Cool Cruiser
  • July 21, 2001
  •  
  • 2,805 posts

Currently on Explorer. Yesterday, the captain assured us that there was no one sick onboard but corporate has dictated new safeguards would be put in place immediately.

What we have noticed so far....

  Had breakfast in LaVaranda. Half the stations closed down. You had to ask for everything, from jam to juice. NO more self service for anything. As soon as you get up to leave, an attendant swoops over with the antiseptic spray bottle to spray your chair before anyone else sits there.

The stations at the pool grill where they made smoothies, etc.     gone.

Coffee Connection....only half as much food so easier for attendant to serve. They must also get your coffee for you.

No newspapers in the library. 
This one makes no sense to me.....all cloth towels in the public bathrooms are gone. Replaced by rolls of paper towels. They are just left out so you have to grab the towel and rip one off.

currently only 9am so I am sure I will notice more later.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears that Regent is following Code Red rules - as a cautionary action (or perhaps mandated by the CDC. ) We have sailed on Regent during Code Red and what is described above is almost identical to what we have experienced.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, greykitty said:

 

I just hope people don't get so entrenched in their desires that they don't take medical advice regarding traveling - even if multiple governmental entities across the world are clearly saying it's a no go for travel, especially for the older and/or having underlying medical issues, as well as to help contain the virus' spread.  What's that phrase about not cutting off your nose to spite your face?

 

I learned this morning (from a specialist) that not all immune compromised people are at a greater risk.  Unfortunately, general rules are put into place as it is not possible to address every illness or situation.  In my case, he does not see a reason that my condition would be a major factor if I were to develop coronavirus.

 

We remain concerned about the predicted return of coronavirus in the fall/winter and can only hope that there is something we can take to either prevent or treat the virus by then.  Also hope that seniors and those those people that are really more likely to have serious effects from the virus are given these "fixes" first.  We also have a cruise in the fall that we hope to keep.

Edited by Travelcat2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

 

I learned this morning (from a specialist) that not all immune compromised people are at a greater risk.  Unfortunately, general rules are put into place as it is not possible to address every illness or situation.  In my case, he does not see a reason that my condition would be a major factor if I were to develop coronavirus.

 

We remain concerned about the predicted return of coronavirus in the fall/winter and can only hope that there is something we can take to either prevent or treat the virus by then.  Also hope that seniors and those those people that are really more likely to have serious effects from the virus are given these "fixes" first.  We also have a cruise in the fall that we hope to keep.

Did your Dr./specialist give you approval to go on your cruise? Also, your husband is 90. Did he check with his physician and get approval? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Alberto Aliberti, President of Atlas Ocean Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...