Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
kmkord

Crystal & the Corona Virus

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Hop77 said:


I don’t really understand why our segment was cancel when the entire segment was not. Anyone has any idea?

 I could be Totally wrong but it could be that they are cancelling shorter ones since they don’t meet the 14 day incubation time for the virus just in case?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hop77 said:


I don’t really understand why our segment was cancel when the entire segment was not. Anyone has any idea?

The email that Crystal sent to you states that it is the government of Singapore that will not allow Crystal to embark passengers in Vietnam and then disembark in Singapore.  Thus Crystal had no choice but to cancel the short getaway cruise where you were embarking in Vietnam.  The situation is a bit ironic since you are a resident of Singapore.

 

it appears that the government of Singapore wants to tightly control those entering Singapore, and they are concerned that someone who has been to China, Hong Kong, or Macau, etc. might embark in Vietnam.  If that were the case, they would be reluctant to allow the ship back into Singapore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

 

You should check the Ts&Cs for your country as to Crystal's liability for cancellations that they initiate.  Ts&Cs in the NA market provide for a cash refund not an FCC.

Crystal Cruises may for any reason whatsoever cancel any sailing at any time before departure of the Ship. In such event, Crystal Cruises’ only liability will be to refund to the Guest the amount it has received for the Ticket.

https://www.crystalcruises.com/legal/crystal-cruises-general-ticket-terms-conditions
 


 

Thanks. I will show it to my TA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, janisegn said:

Kooralbyn Queensland - I have been trying my hardest to get media coverage! - at the meeting last night there was significant police attendance for sure! - a quick Google search and you'll find information - you haven't heard of the town isolation units because they're supposed to be secret - we are lucky the information was leaked .....

 

I saw an item on Channel 9 about the Queensland Government arranging to use a resort for quarantine. I think the item referred to Kooralbyn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I’m super disappointed in Crystal now. The way they’re handling this coronavirus issue is just ridiculous, especially for a luxury cruise line that was known to have good service. This whole FCC booking deadline is a joke... I still don’t get why won’t they offer a full refund rather than trying to continue modifying itineraries with all this uncertainty.

 

We booked the 16th March trip from Hong Kong-Taiwan-Japan, and then it changed from Taiwan-Japan and now Singapore-Penang-Phuket. We changed our flights from HK to Taiwan before the Taiwan port closure... and now Crystal is telling us that there is “no air compensation or consideration being offered”. So, if we proceed, we’d have to rebook the tickets from Taiwan to Singapore + Tokyo to Phuket and get no compensation for it. Looking at the situation in Singapore now, there’s a chance that the itinerary will change again. I guess some guests may enjoy the beach with the end destination being Phuket, but we paid for Hong Kong to Japan, not Singapore to Phuket 😕 

 

Why waste all this time and effort - ruining your brand image/customers’ trust in the service and even risk both customers’/staff’s health - when you can just offer a full cash refund and everyone’s safe and happy to sail with them again in the future?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Our Manila to HKG/Taipei/Nowhere but now ending in Singapore  Feb 7-15 Sailing that was cancelled by Crystal on Feb 6 while already in Manila waiting for embarkation next day, we were told there will be full refund for the cruise fare plus return flight back home cost as FCC. However, now I see there’s only taxes and port fees have been refunded and this is getting me pissed off at Crystal.
Is Crystal backing off their word and trying to keep everyone’s money as FCC??? even those who were cancelled by them at the very last minute? 

 

 I tried to be understanding of this last min cancellation although it RUINED our vacation plan and cost us money flying to Manila and staying there for no reason other than Cruise Embarkation since it was unforeseen event beyond Crystal’s control and all.... 


 Having my TA to check on this first thing but losing faith in Crystal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, soysoy said:

So Our Manila to HKG/Taipei/Nowhere but now ending in Singapore  Feb 7-15 Sailing that was cancelled by Crystal on Feb 6 while already in Manila waiting for embarkation next day, we were told there will be full refund for the cruise fare plus return flight back home cost as FCC. However, now I see there’s only taxes and port fees have been refunded and this is getting me pissed off at Crystal.
Is Crystal backing off their word and trying to keep everyone’s money as FCC??? even those who were cancelled by them at the very last minute? 

 

 I tried to be understanding of this last min cancellation although it RUINED our vacation plan and cost us money flying to Manila and staying there for no reason other than Cruise Embarkation since it was unforeseen event beyond Crystal’s control and all.... 


 Having my TA to check on this first thing but losing faith in Crystal. 


 

Yes. We were also looking forward to cruising, virus or no virus. But then all of the sudden, they cancel it. And only FCC. No mention even to compensate flights and hotel booking. 
 

Please make lot of noises about it. We are also trying to get our TA to make lot of noise. This is not right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, soysoy said:

So Our Manila to HKG/Taipei/Nowhere but now ending in Singapore  Feb 7-15 Sailing that was cancelled by Crystal on Feb 6 while already in Manila waiting for embarkation next day, we were told there will be full refund for the cruise fare plus return flight back home cost as FCC. However, now I see there’s only taxes and port fees have been refunded and this is getting me pissed off at Crystal.
Is Crystal backing off their word and trying to keep everyone’s money as FCC??? even those who were cancelled by them at the very last minute? 

 

 I tried to be understanding of this last min cancellation although it RUINED our vacation plan and cost us money flying to Manila and staying there for no reason other than Cruise Embarkation since it was unforeseen event beyond Crystal’s control and all.... 


 Having my TA to check on this first thing but losing faith in Crystal. 

This is really poor, I feel for all of you. Crystal cancelled (no matter the circumstances) not you, they cancelled their side of the contract so they must return your money!

Hal, Princess, Celebrity etc have all given full refunds and fcc. There have been compensation for flights and hotels as well.

Seabourn is giving you a 100% fcc even if you cancel. 50% even if you do.

I can’t believe Crystal is carrying on with these Asian cruise itineraries let alone not refunding cancellations.

As impressed as I was with the onboard Crystal product this kind of behaviour is negating that quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to read Keith1010's take on Crystal's approach regarding the above few posts.  Perhaps we can invite his comments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, teamflames said:

This is really poor, I feel for all of you. Crystal cancelled (no matter the circumstances) not you, they cancelled their side of the contract so they must return your money!

Hal, Princess, Celebrity etc have all given full refunds and fcc. There have been compensation for flights and hotels as well.

Seabourn is giving you a 100% fcc even if you cancel. 50% even if you do.

I can’t believe Crystal is carrying on with these Asian cruise itineraries let alone not refunding cancellations.

As impressed as I was with the onboard Crystal product this kind of behaviour is negating that quickly.


Yes, onboard experience seemed to be good for those already onboard Symphony during the whole crisis even with uncertainties when they can go into ports but those of us who got cancelled and did not get to experience that Usual wonderful crews/food/entertainment onboard are left dealing only with HQ ‘s poor decisions... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well there goes our plan to book a Crystal cruise for next year. YOU cancel and won’t refund money?!. Nope no nada not a chance we will book with you. Good job of making other cruise lines look good Crystal! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here.  I was told initially only FCC despite their cancelation and their terms and conditions.  They told me they escalated it and I would get a call back.  The front line person kept trying to get me to look at other cruises and ask when I could travel again.  It was kind of pushy selling when I kept saying I wanted a refund more than to change my plans to some future date.  This was going to be my second cruise with them and I was completely sold on staying with them after our first experience.  We cruise frequently.  Not feeling the love right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notthemonkey - what do you mean they escalated?  Are you still waiting for a call back?  Can you please let me know what happens and what you said to get them to listen? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the US Crystal Cruise General Ticket Terms and Conditions:

 

"Crystal Cruises may for any reason whatsoever cancel any sailing at any time before departure of the Ship. In such event, Crystal Cruises’ only liability will be to refund to the Guest the amount it has received for the Ticket."

 

Am I missing something?  It seems that a full refund is required.

 

Bob

Edited by boblerm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, boblerm said:

From the US Crystal Cruise General Ticket Terms and Conditions:

 

"Crystal Cruises may for any reason whatsoever cancel any sailing at any time before departure of the Ship. In such event, Crystal Cruises’ only liability will be to refund to the Guest the amount it has received for the Ticket."

 

Am I missing something?  It seems that a full refund is required.

 

Bob


 

Maybe it is because most of us here may not be residing in US. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel that with this issue of FCC and Crystal's "new" pay so far in advance + cancellation policy I think this will definitely hurt their business - I would be very reluctant to book a certain type of cruise on Crystal now - for something well in the future.  There was a NY Times article about although cruise lines wouldn't talk about lower bookings some TA's are talking about a 15% drop in bookings.  In this article people were complaining about the $1,800 dollars they were losing on some of these far east cruises. 

Although on not currently on a cruise I must say if I had to go through this current circumstances, I can think of no place I'd rather get stuck than on a Crystal ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crimlaw@ecentral.com said:

Notthemonkey - what do you mean they escalated?  Are you still waiting for a call back?  Can you please let me know what happens and what you said to get them to listen? 

 

The first agent made clear they could not do anything more than FCC.  I made clear, very politely, that a refund was the only suitable resolution.  I never speak from anger and appreciate the hard job they all have dealing with this.  However, I am polite and firm in my expectation and I did reference their own terms and conditions.  They said they have escalated for resolution.  My TA followed up today and also got escalated for resolution.  We will see what happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hop77 said:


 

Maybe it is because most of us here may not be residing in US. 

 Extract from UK T&Cs re Company making changes

 

In the event of a significant alteration prior to departure of an essential term of the Cruise, the Company will inform you of any cancellation or change of itinerary in writing as soon as reasonably possible and you will be offered a choice of:

i) accepting the alteration; or
ii) booking another Cruise of equivalent or superior quality, if available or booking another Cruise of a lower quality, if available, with a refund of the difference in price; or 
iii)cancelling and receiving a full refund of all monies paid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Exactly.

 

Princess have cancelled Asian cruises for full refunds plus 100% or 50% OBC and are refunding travel alteration costs.

 

Celebrity have cancelled their remaining Asian cruises and those ships are being redeployed. They are offering full refunds plus 25% OBC and travel alteration cost refunds.

We still reside in the mass-market cruise segment and are nervously waiting for our March 1 Sapphire cruise to be cancelled . I was completely shocked to discover how poorly Crystal is treating its customers , customers who expect great service . Down the road managements actions will be remembered . FCC only good for 1 year ? Laughable !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's say people are able to find a future cruise that suits them and apply FCC. What happens with the air booked separately even it's insured? Would insurance cover the airfare or a change in airfare? The cruise hasn't been cancelled so what would be the base for insurance claim? Did anyone explore this? Appreciate the thoughts and advise.

 

Also, it seems that Crystal increased their prices for 2021 similar cruise and wants us to pay that increase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m confused, and I think others are too, and I think that confusion is spurring misperceptions here.

 

Has anyone’s segment actually been cancelled and their agent was told by Crystal that they couldn’t get a refund?  If so, I don’t believe that’s legal (no matter how force majeure) OR consistent with Crystal’s policies.  In a situation this wide-scale personal losses for outside expenses are between you and your insurer, but Crystal is supposed to be refunding fares for cancelled segments in full.

 

Vince

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BWIVince said:

I’m confused, and I think others are too, and I think that confusion is spurring misperceptions here.

 

Has anyone’s segment actually been cancelled and their agent was told by Crystal that they couldn’t get a refund?  If so, I don’t believe that’s legal (no matter how force majeure) OR consistent with Crystal’s policies.  In a situation this wide-scale personal losses for outside expenses are between you and your insurer, but Crystal is supposed to be refunding fares for cancelled segments in full.

 

Vince

Hop77 posted earlier that their 7 day segment had been cancelled and they were only offered FCC.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2020 at 5:20 AM, onesoutherngirl said:

Rob, I am incredibly grateful to you for your updates. My MIL passed away on board last Tuesday, and we have had very limited contact with my FIL. He doesn’t email, and the voice connection is very difficult. Your updates have been both informative and reassuring, and truly fantastic in helping us to understand what is going on and when we can get them both home. Thank you so much. I log on often hoping to see another of your posts. You have made a big difference for us. Wishing you a safe and healthy journey home. 

I am so sorry to hear this! 😞 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, neilridd said:

Hop77 posted earlier that their 7 day segment had been cancelled and they were only offered FCC.

 

That sounds like a miscommunication to me...  I would have their agent go back to Crystal and tell them it needs to be refunded, if that’s their preference.  
 

That would be a credit card chargeback waiting to happen if that were true.

 

Vince

Edited by BWIVince

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just another reason to not sail on Crystal again-look at the way  they are handling(OR NOT HANDLING imho)this EPIDEMIC AND ITS AFFECTS ON PASSENGERS AND THEIR FAMILIES.., the financial consequences of customers etc .6 star line ? Not any more if it ever was ! This says a lot about Crystal's new ownership /corporate and not in a good way!

Granted no one has contracted the CNV on the Symphony (YET) or the Serenity, from what  I understand, but that remains to be seen...Regardless there is no excuse for the lackof communication between certain passengers and their familes back home!! GRR

Kudos to HAL and Princess Cruises! Guess where my cruise money is going the future? It is going to start with a brief cruise in May, on the  Pacific Princess!     I was already won over to HAL after my crossing to Japan this past October. Due to some issues in 2017, I was offered a FCC and a lunch at one of their premium restaurants . A small gesture but it made the differenc t ome in my perception o f thec ompany an more importantly was the major reason I gave  HAL  a second try! I was not going to sail on HAL again because the issues were so annoying and  ongoing (?) 

Edited by wearesiamese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...