Cruise Critic Community
kmkord

Crystal & the Corona Virus

36 minutes ago, wearesiamese said:

Regardless there is no excuse for the lackof communication between certain passengers and their familes back home!! GRR

Kudos to HAL and Princess Cruises! Guess where my cruise money is going the future? 

Feel better?

What have Crystal done to get this claim that they are frustrating communications between passengers and families back home 

I’m glad you’ve found some cruise lines that suit your requirements - enjoy them

40 minutes ago, wearesiamese said:

Regardless there is no excuse for the lackof communication between certain passengers and their familes back home!! GRR

Wait, What!?!

This thread seems to be going completely off the rails before our eyes.

Vince

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

I’m confused, and I think others are too, and I think that confusion is spurring misperceptions here.

Has anyone’s segment actually been cancelled and their agent was told by Crystal that they couldn’t get a refund?  If so, I don’t believe that’s legal (no matter how force majeure) OR consistent with Crystal’s policies.  In a situation this wide-scale personal losses for outside expenses are between you and your insurer, but Crystal is supposed to be refunding fares for cancelled segments in full.

Vince

See post 393 to 396...  I do not think anyone has actually gotten a definitive no yet once their request was escalated.

Certainly the terms and conditions support a refund.

All the cruise lines in region are having communication issues because things are changing so quickly.

5 hours ago, tmcmullan said:

Extract from UK T&Cs re Company making changes

In the event of a significant alteration prior to departure of an essential term of the Cruise, the Company will inform you of any cancellation or change of itinerary in writing as soon as reasonably possible and you will be offered a choice of:

i) accepting the alteration; or
ii) booking another Cruise of equivalent or superior quality, if available or booking another Cruise of a lower quality, if available, with a refund of the difference in price; or 
iii)cancelling and receiving a full refund of all monies paid.

Thanks for this information, just received this back from Crystal:

Thank you for your email advising that you are a citizen of the UK. That does make a difference in the cancellation policy. Kindly note, your booking has been cancelled. !00% of monies paid, will be refunded in the way in which it was paid. Thank you for choosing Crystal Cruises.

12 minutes ago, neilridd said:

Kindly note, your booking has been cancelled. !00% of monies paid, will be refunded in the way in which it was paid. Thank you for choosing Crystal Cruises.

One problem solved - full refund (not a FCC) for cruises cancelled by Crystal 

Seems there was a bit of a leap to a conclusion without all the facts - certainly those I spoke to on board couldn’t believe that Crystal would take the FCC position for something they cancelled

Now back to the issue of the time allowed to use a FCC - which is unreasonably right (I totally understand why they are trying to impose to reduce the long term liability but I doubt they will stick with that call (just my opinion))

42 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

Wait, What!?!

This thread seems to be going completely off the rails before our eyes

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing 

40 minutes ago, newcruise16 said:

"Meanwhile, Genting Cruise Lines which operates the World Dream cruise has suspended all their cruise operations. Staff salaries for middle management and above have been reduced between 20-50%."

https://www.dimsumdaily.hk/ocean-empire-congee-chain-to-cut-salaries-by-20-genting-cruise-lines-to-cut-salaries-by-20-50/

Does Genting Cruise Lines operate Crystal Cruises also?

51 minutes ago, newcruise16 said:

"Meanwhile, Genting Cruise Lines which operates the World Dream cruise has suspended all their cruise operations. Staff salaries for middle management and above have been reduced between 20-50%."

https://www.dimsumdaily.hk/ocean-empire-congee-chain-to-cut-salaries-by-20-genting-cruise-lines-to-cut-salaries-by-20-50/

Understandable, under the circumstances, with Genting Cruise Lines cruising in Asia. 

I also am in the UK and my TA has advised me that the UK T&C's also provide for a full refund if the cruise is cancelled. But also if there is a change in the itinerary as well! However I am hoping against hope that my cruise (Sydney to Singapore) on Serenity goes ahead as planned. I have no intention of attempting to cancel myself!

I feel that this situation is unprecedented and Crystal are doing all they can under the circumstances, it's nobody's fault after all.

31 minutes ago, C-sea said:

No - Genting and Crystal cruise lines operate under seperate Managment teams however Genting Group own Crystal. I haven’t detailed the specific company names here but it’s easy to work through ownership by visiting the Genting Group website 

1 hour ago, neilridd said:

Thank you for your email advising that you are a citizen of the UK. That does make a difference in the cancellation policy. Kindly note, your booking has been cancelled. !00% of monies paid, will be refunded in the way in which it was paid. Thank you for choosing Crystal Cruises.

Good that you are covered for a full refund from Crystal Cruises, under the UK cancellation policy. 

I am interested in what the cancellation policy is for citizens of the USA, Australia and countries other than the UK. 

I know UK has excellent travel protections for their citizens, but wonder what the protections are for citizens who live elsewhere. 

Just read an article in the Singapore Straitstimes that at least NCL and Princess are now giving full refunds for cancelled cruises.  It also said Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are pulling out of Asia for the season, but it didn't mention the refund policy for them.  When is Crystal going to do the right thing here and offer refunds?

7 minutes ago, crimlaw@ecentral.com said:

Just read an article in the Singapore Straitstimes that at least NCL and Princess are now giving full refunds for cancelled cruises.  It also said Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are pulling out of Asia for the season, but it didn't mention the refund policy for them.  When is Crystal going to do the right thing here and offer refunds?

They have to offer refunds for cancelled cruises, that’s not optional.  Crystal is doing the same.  Cruise lines are allowed a lot of leeway to make changes, but if they can’t sail you on both the dates and reasonably similar itinerary (even if they have to supplement with other transit) and cancel a cruise, they have to offer a refund option.  (The ship, OTOH, is one of those things they would have complete freedom to change.)

Vince

Edited by BWIVince

1 hour ago, C-sea said:

Well, they sure do. Some posters want to say they are separate, but they are one 

http://www.gentingcruiselines.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genting_Hong_Kong

copy and paste from Wikipedia.   
In 2015, Genting purchased Crystal Cruises,[7] which specializes in the "international luxury cruise market",[4] and a majority stake in Lloyd Werft, a German shipyard that was, as of May 2016, under contract to build 10 ships for Genting-owned cruise lines.[4] In November of that year, Genting announced the introduction of Dream Cruises, an Asian luxury cruise line that will debut in November 2016.

Genting Hong Kong Limited (Chinese: 雲頂香港有限公司) is a holding company that operates cruise and resort businesses. It is a member of the Malaysian Genting Group and 17.8% owned by Genting Berhad.[1] It owns Crystal Cruises, Dream Cruises, Star Cruises, Resorts World Manila, and the MV Werften shipyards.

Its head office is in Suite 1501 of the Ocean Centre (海洋中心) building in Harbour City, Tsim Sha Tsui.[2]

Genting Hong Kong is listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (SEHK678) .

Edited by alwaysonaship

3 minutes ago, alwaysonaship said:

Well, they sure do. Some posters want to say they are separate, but they are one 

http://www.gentingcruiselines.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genting_Hong_Kong

copy and paste from Wikipedia.   
In 2015, Genting purchased Crystal Cruises,[7] which specializes in the "international luxury cruise market",[4] and a majority stake in Lloyd Werft, a German shipyard that was, as of May 2016, under contract to build 10 ships for Genting-owned cruise lines.[4] In November of that year, Genting announced the introduction of Dream Cruises, an Asian luxury cruise line that will debut in November 2016.

I don’t think anyone is saying Genting doesn’t own Crystal, obviously they do, but as the question was asked the answer is “no”.  Dream and Crystal are sister brands inside Genting Hong Kong — they’re parallel, and Dream does NOT own Crystal.  And Genting isn’t a “cruise line,” it’s a conglomerate.  Terry was trying to be specific and point people to the actual company website, which helps illustrate how it’s structured — and I might add a little clearer and more accurately than the Wikipedia entry does.

Vince

3 minutes ago, NottheMonkey said:

Finally got my full refund.  US booking.

Great news - So what was the situation?

One that crystal cancelled or was it 

One where Crystal changed the itinerary or

One you chose to cancel by your choice? 

Really important to understand just what scenarios that Crystal are going to offer a full “cash” refund as opposed to a FCC

2 hours ago, neilridd said:

Which email did you use for communication? I used guest service. 

Unfortunately, I am not residing in US or UK. I am currently in Singapore. 

52 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Good that you are covered for a full refund from Crystal Cruises, under the UK cancellation policy. 

I am interested in what the cancellation policy is for citizens of the USA, Australia and countries other than the UK. 

I know UK has excellent travel protections for their citizens, but wonder what the protections are for citizens who live elsewhere. 

Yes. I am currently in Singapore. I do hope we get the same protection. However, consumer rights is terrible here. 

8 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I don’t think anyone is saying Genting doesn’t own Crystal, obviously they do, but as the question was asked the answer is “no”.  Dream and Crystal are sister brands inside Genting Hong Kong — they’re parallel, and Dream does NOT own Crystal.  And Genting isn’t a “cruise line,” it’s a conglomerate.  Terry was trying to be specific and point people to the actual company website, which helps illustrate how it’s structured — and I might add a little clearer and more accurately than the Wikipedia entry does.

Vince

Genting does own Crystal..Genting bought Crystal in 2015 For $550 million cash. 

I know that Genting is not a cruise line, but they own the three lines . It is pretty cut and dried just like RCCL is the parent company of Celebrity, Azamara, Silversea( 80% interest to be exact), and Royal Caribbean. 

34 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I don’t think anyone is saying Genting doesn’t own Crystal, obviously they do, but as the question was asked the answer is “no”.  Dream and Crystal are sister brands inside Genting Hong Kong — they’re parallel, and Dream does NOT own Crystal.  And Genting isn’t a “cruise line,” it’s a conglomerate.  Terry was trying to be specific and point people to the actual company website, which helps illustrate how it’s structured

Yes - I was trying to keep it simple - a chart of companies ownership wasn’t on my agenda for a hot morning in Lautoka 

25 minutes ago, Hop77 said:

Yes. I am currently in Singapore. I do hope we get the same protection. However, consumer rights is terrible here. 

I hope you receive a full refund.  Have you researched what the refund policy is on cruises purchased in Singapore?   One would expect it would be a full refund, if Crystal cancelled your cruise.  I note "Notthemonkey" (above) got a full refund on a US booking. 

Edited by MMDown Under

5 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Yes - I was trying to keep it simple - a chart of companies ownership wasn’t on my agenda for a hot morning in Lautoka 

Thinking of you in Fiji in February heat.  Coming from the tropicals, I requested a non air conditioned room.  On arrival, I discovered we had been given an air conditioned room, despite my request.  Was I glad!  I don't handle well "the water running down your back" at the slightest exertion.  Mind you it is hot, humid and muggy here in the heat after all the rain, but not as hot as I remember Fiji.