Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
kmkord

Crystal & the Corona Virus

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, wearesiamese said:

Just another reason to not sail on Crystal again-look at the way  they are handling(OR NOT HANDLING imho)this EPIDEMIC AND ITS AFFECTS ON PASSENGERS AND THEIR FAMILIES.., the financial consequences of customers etc .6 star line ? Not any more if it ever was ! This says a lot about Crystal's new ownership /corporate and not in a good way!

Granted no one has contracted the CNV on the Symphony (YET) or the Serenity, from what  I understand, but that remains to be seen...Regardless there is no excuse for the lackof communication between certain passengers and their familes back home!! GRR

Kudos to HAL and Princess Cruises! Guess where my cruise money is going the future? It is going to start with a brief cruise in May, on the  Pacific Princess!     I was already won over to HAL after my crossing to Japan this past October. Due to some issues in 2017, I was offered a FCC and a lunch at one of their premium restaurants . A small gesture but it made the differenc t ome in my perception o f thec ompany an more importantly was the major reason I gave  HAL  a second try! I was not going to sail on HAL again because the issues were so annoying and  ongoing (?) 

I have already expressed my shock at the refund policies of Crystal on this thread, however, I am not sure how you can give kudos to Hal and Princess. Crystal was the first line to identify the problems at docking in HK and avoided embarking guests their. Princess and HAL actually embarked guests mid cruise at that location despite airlines, Crystal and others identifying it as a risk. It has been reported that people on those ships were protesting that decision, and look how it resulted. Princess ended up in quarantine and HAL was rejected by 5 different countries before finding a disembarkation port. Hence they had to give extremely generous refunds. Hal in particular is known for their loyal following but go and read the feedback to their decision making during this crisis, not popular.

Princess has one ship in quarantine, one returning to port with norovirus, and just cancelled their other ship in Asia with less than 24 hours notice, hardly commendable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, neilridd said:

Thanks for this information, just received this back from Crystal:

Thank you for your email advising that you are a citizen of the UK. That does make a difference in the cancellation policy. Kindly note, your booking has been cancelled. !00% of monies paid, will be refunded in the way in which it was paid. Thank you for choosing Crystal Cruises.


Will it be possible for you to provide me a snapshot of this email from Crystal? So that I can show it to my TA as proof to get my point across. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I hope you receive a full refund.  Have you researched what the refund policy is on cruises purchased in Singapore?   One would expect it would be a full refund, if Crystal cancelled your cruise.  I note "Notthemonkey" (above) got a full refund on a US booking. 


Only stated refund. No mention in what format. Unlike those terms and conditions given for UK and US. 

B2F6FA75-8C8B-4E1E-9DD9-324C4D5278C7.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the section of the US T&Cs relating to when Crystal cancelles a cruise. The AUS/NZ wording is the same.

 

"Crystal Cruises may for any reason whatsoever cancel any sailing at any time before departure of the Ship. In such event, Crystal Cruises’ only liability will be to refund to the Guest the amount it has received for the Ticket. If a voyage is cancelled due to mechanical failure of the Ship, the Guest will be entitled to a full refund of the Cruise Fare, or a partial refund for voyages that are terminated early due to those failures.  If a voyage is terminated early due to mechanical failure of the Ship, the Guest is also entitled to transportation to the Ship’s scheduled port of disembarkation or the Guest’s home city, at the discretion and expense of Crystal Cruises, as well as lodging at the unscheduled port of disembarkation, if required, at the expense of Crystal Cruises. "

 

Again it doesn't define the nature of the refund although I imagine the majority of people reading it would expect direct repayment not an FCC with restrictions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

This is the section of the US T&Cs relating to when Crystal cancelles a cruise. The AUS/NZ wording is the same.

 

"Crystal Cruises may for any reason whatsoever cancel any sailing at any time before departure of the Ship. In such event, Crystal Cruises’ only liability will be to refund to the Guest the amount it has received for the Ticket. If a voyage is cancelled due to mechanical failure of the Ship, the Guest will be entitled to a full refund of the Cruise Fare, or a partial refund for voyages that are terminated early due to those failures.  If a voyage is terminated early due to mechanical failure of the Ship, the Guest is also entitled to transportation to the Ship’s scheduled port of disembarkation or the Guest’s home city, at the discretion and expense of Crystal Cruises, as well as lodging at the unscheduled port of disembarkation, if required, at the expense of Crystal Cruises. "

 

Again it doesn't define the nature of the refund although I imagine the majority of people reading it would expect direct repayment not an FCC with restrictions.

"CC only liability will be to refund to the Guest the amount it has received for the Ticket."  FCC is not a refund in anyone's language.  Most passengers understand the difference, as would CC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Hop77 said:


Only stated refund. No mention in what format. Unlike those terms and conditions given for UK and US. 

B2F6FA75-8C8B-4E1E-9DD9-324C4D5278C7.png

A refund is a refund, no argument.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

"CC only liability will be to refund to the Guest the amount it has received for the Ticket."  FCC is not a refund in anyone's language.  Most passengers understand the difference, as would CC.

And I would hope the refund would be immediate. 

 

I have a 26 night Western Europe cruise booked on Symphony in May. If that was to be cancelled at short notice ie after we had commenced our travel to Europe we would need the refund to salvage our vacation either by booking a last minute cruise on another line or by doing some land travel, otherwise our only option would be to change our flights and go back home immediately, which would leave me seething.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

And I would hope the refund would be immediate. 

 

I have a 26 night Western Europe cruise booked on Symphony in May. If that was to be cancelled at short notice ie after we had commenced our travel to Europe we would need the refund to salvage our vacation either by booking a last minute cruise on another line or by doing some land travel, otherwise our only option would be to change our flights and go back home immediately, which would leave me seething.

I agree.  Most Australians who travel overseas to cruise, fly long haul, so do land travel as well.  If a cruise was cancelled at short notice they would need an immediate refund to make alternative arrangements.  

I used to book ahead until cruise lines started cancelling cruises (for operational reasons).  I realised all my long haul flights were non refundable.  I hadn't thought about that before.  

I have now learnt so much more through how the cruise lines have handled this virus, that I hadn't thought about before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are still booked on the Singapore to Myanmar cruise  departing Singapore on March 16th.

 

We have read and re-read the cruise contract and clause 9 of our contract (USA version) definitely says that if Crystal cancels the cruise then they must offer us a full refund of the cruise fare paid.  However, in the event that Crystal cancels (not the passenger) there will be no consideration for any other costs or losses incurred by the passenger as a result of that cancellation.

Therefore it would appear that these costs (which we have already incurred) will only be considered in a situation where the passenger cancels and accepts the FCC offer.

 

We have already rebooked flights and hotel accommodation in Singapore to join this cruise however, my wife has many friends in Singapore who are all urging us to cancel; but for us the limitations on the FCCs just won't work unless Crystal agrees to extend the booking period; so a decision made by us to cancel would mean a total loss for us.    A friend in the airline industry says that airlines love issuing future booking credits as statistically almost 50% are never redeemed - a real windfall for the airline.

 

My main fear is now not the virus itself, but that as the situation in Singapore gets worse that the government there will close the port and if that happens after we have departed where will we end up.  Also noted in the T&Cs that Crystal will not be responsible for any additional costs incurred by passengers if Crystal is forced to terminate a cruise early or in a different location as a result of a decision by a government or port authority.

 

Garry

 

PS    I've stopped using the 2 black ship profiles in my signature as someone asked me if they were meant to represent plague ships!!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand why some are very unhappy with Crystal. That being said, I am quite sure that whatever Crystal has done complies with the "small print" in the terms and conditions. I'm sure the bean counters have determined that any passengers they might loose in the future because they are giving FCC only is less than what it would have cost them to give cash refunds. Remember, Crystal is not a nonprofit organization!!

 

Patty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I understand why some are very unhappy with Crystal. That being said, I am quite sure that whatever Crystal has done complies with the "small print" in the terms and conditions. I'm sure the bean counters have determined that any passengers they might loose in the future because they are giving FCC only is less than what it would have cost them to give cash refunds. Remember, Crystal is not a nonprofit organization!!

 

Patty

No it is not, but it is a respectable well liked cruise line with responsibilities to its passengers.  You can't buy back good will once you have lost it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We loved our cruise several yrs ago on the Serenity and I'm sure the crew is still great but the new owner (Genting) is a different story. 

Carnival Corp (HAL, Princess) also dragging its feet about canceling and full refunds.

 

Celebrity has canceled all Asian sailings and is offering full refunds! I know the Celebrity ships are too big for some but the suite experience is very nice. My husband loved Crystal but I'm going to remember how they've handled this situation next time we are booking a cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

No it is not, but it is a respectable well liked cruise line with responsibilities to its passengers.  You can't buy back good will once you have lost it!

Plus Crystal's actions are being compared with other cruise lines who are being far more generous with their reimbursements, and Crystal is not looking good against those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, diecastaussie said:

We are still booked on the Singapore to Myanmar cruise  departing Singapore on March 16th.

 

We have read and re-read the cruise contract and clause 9 of our contract (USA version) definitely says that if Crystal cancels the cruise then they must offer us a full refund of the cruise fare paid.  However, in the event that Crystal cancels (not the passenger) there will be no consideration for any other costs or losses incurred by the passenger as a result of that cancellation.

Therefore it would appear that these costs (which we have already incurred) will only be considered in a situation where the passenger cancels and accepts the FCC offer.

 

We have already rebooked flights and hotel accommodation in Singapore to join this cruise however, my wife has many friends in Singapore who are all urging us to cancel; but for us the limitations on the FCCs just won't work unless Crystal agrees to extend the booking period; so a decision made by us to cancel would mean a total loss for us.    A friend in the airline industry says that airlines love issuing future booking credits as statistically almost 50% are never redeemed - a real windfall for the airline.

 

My main fear is now not the virus itself, but that as the situation in Singapore gets worse that the government there will close the port and if that happens after we have departed where will we end up.  Also noted in the T&Cs that Crystal will not be responsible for any additional costs incurred by passengers if Crystal is forced to terminate a cruise early or in a different location as a result of a decision by a government or port authority.

 

Garry

 

PS    I've stopped using the 2 black ship profiles in my signature as someone asked me if they were meant to represent plague ships!!!  

I'm sorry that you have found yourself in this situation, which is causing you to worry.  I think your fear is real!

As I see it you have a month until your cruise, so you can wait to see if Crystal cancels your cruise.  

I would take advice from your wife's friends in Singapore.  

Are your rebooked flights and hotel accommodation costs more than the cost of the cruise?

What is your itinerary?  What are their risks with regard to the virus at your ports?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, flowery said:

We loved our cruise several yrs ago on the Serenity and I'm sure the crew is still great but the new owner (Genting) is a different story. 

Carnival Corp (HAL, Princess) also dragging its feet about canceling and full refunds.

 

Celebrity has canceled all Asian sailings and is offering full refunds! I know the Celebrity ships are too big for some but the suite experience is very nice. My husband loved Crystal but I'm going to remember how they've handled this situation next time we are booking a cruise.

Princess has given very generous reimbursements for those cruises it has cancelled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on Silversea Spirit last week when Philippines and Taiwan closed to ships. I am home today instead of Taipei as was scheduled.

Silversea gives 100 % refund and 25% fcc, and they arranged for our flights home.

I have been on Crystal before and our choice this time was between this cruise  and the one we booked Bangkok to Taipei.

 Really impressed with Silversea's handling of this and very disappointed on how Crystal is doing it.

Makes future bookings an easier choice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, gofish said:

Really impressed with Silversea's handling of this and very disappointed on how Crystal is doing it.

Makes future bookings an easier choice.


Sounds like a plan - enjoy Silversea 

 

I always laugh when people start saying “they’ll never do something because....” 

 

Give it a month or a great itinerary or deal coming up on Crystal and they’ll be back in a heartbeat - I’ve seen it so many times with so many suppliers 

 

People’s outrage subsides very quickly 

 

Now should Crystal do the right thing? Of course they should but whether they do or don’t won’t stop people sailing on them in the future - unless the people are very principled 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, alwaysonaship said:

We have enjoyed the suite experience on Celebrity and think the food in the suite restaurant is the best there is. 
 

‘With reference to Celebrity, we were booked for our second trip on the Xpedition In the Galapagos when the ship had an issue concerning a couple of lobster that were not supposed to be in their freezer. Not only did Celebrity refund us in full, they refunded our first class air (we did not buy it from them) plus a 4 night post cruise trip to https://www.mashpilodge.com which we had booked privately. We took our refund and went on the Paul Gauguin in Tahiti. When we came home there were 2 letters each with $8000 vouchers in them for another Galapagos trip. They didn’t have to be that generous, and I was amazed at how kind they were. That keeps business.


and I thought this thread was about Crystal and the Corona virus - guess not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 10 years ago , pre Gentry, we booked a Crystal Panama Canal cruise. After final payment they cancelled our cruise.

They gave us a full refund, covered our airline fees, and a free future cruise. We eventually booked another Panama Canal cruise going the other direction.

Never knew why it was cancelled but very impressed that we got a free cruise from them.

Sounds like the new management has a different attitude.

Our last 6 cruises were Regent, Crystal,  3 Seabourn and now Silversea.

All have an excellent product with slight differences. 

Once onboard the experience is great.

Last cruise on Silversea had home office problems eventually resolved.

Hope Crystal makes their guests happy and will watch what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got a positive update from our TA who had spent the entire morning dealing with Crystal. The poor lady was so drained. They finally give us the option to get cash refund. 
 

Will we book a cruise with them after all these poor customer service nightmare? Yes only for last minute sailing especially if the price is right. Is hard for us to consider advance booking now and park our money with them
 

 

E37B2E46-9090-4D6C-B56D-CEAD9EB1DAEA.png

Edited by Hop77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hop77 said:

Finally got a positive update from our TA who had spent the entire morning dealing with Crystal. The poor lady was so drained. They finally give us the option to get cash refund. 
 

Will we book a cruise with them after all these poor customer service nightmare? Yes only for last minute sailing especially if the price is right. Is hard for us to consider advance booking now and park our money with them
 

 

That is good news indeed.  Common sense prevailed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hop77, I'm so glad that you now have this issue straightened out and with the outcome that, without question, should have been delivered.  The Terms and Conditions were always quite clear to me....Crystal canceled so the guest gets a full refund (money)!  I hope everyone's blood pressure goes down now that this issue has been cleared up!  I was stressed for all you good people and it doesn't even involve me directly!

 

~Nancy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Hop77, I'm so glad that you now have this issue straightened out and with the outcome that, without question, should have been delivered.  The Terms and Conditions were always quite clear to me....Crystal canceled so the guest gets a full refund (money)!  I hope everyone's blood pressure goes down now that this issue has been cleared up!  I was stressed for all you good people and it doesn't even involve me directly!

 

~Nancy


Thank you. 🥰

 

If Crystal has more sailing options for us to choose, we won’t mind getting FCC as we do enjoy cruise vacation very much. But the choices are limited for Singapore. Thus, it was really stressful for us when we realise we were only getting FCC back. 
 

Now, we are hoping that the situation will improve and then we will definitely be watching out for those cruises in the coming months that sails around the SEA regions. 
 

 

Edited by Hop77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hop77, great news that you finally got a proper refund but quite disgraceful that your poor TA had to battle so hard for it.

 

For those of us that are not residents of the US, and therefore have less choice of cruises in our region or high costs to travel to other regions, the way Crystal is handling this is very disappointing. Having a cruise cancelled at the last minute is disappointing and stressful enough without having to fight the company to get your money back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:


Great news - So what was the situation?

 

One that crystal cancelled or was it 

 

One where Crystal changed the itinerary or

 

One you chose to cancel by your choice? 
 

Really important to understand just what scenarios that Crystal are going to offer a full “cash” refund as opposed to a FCC

 

As stated earlier, they cancelled the cruise and first tried to offer only FCC.  After my TA and I both called, they finally offered the refund.  It took a day if back and forth to get it resolved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...