Crystal & the Corona Virus

1 hour ago, Mask-1234 said:

Three major airlines have canceled flights to Asia.  We really liked the itinerary over the holidays but we are canceling on advice of an infectious disease doctor we know.  He told us why take a chance until they know what is going on and put ourselves in harms way.

We both have our Pneumonia and flu shots every year.  This virus may mutate as was the case with HIV.  The flu vaccine changes every year because of new strains.

Crystal is doing what they can do, within reason, to minimize risks (to the passengers, to the crew, and ultimately, to the company) from the 2019-nCoV by not disembarking in Hong Kong.  I am also sure that the political mess in Hong Kong (which have already disrupted transportation infrastructure there a few times so far), probably was part of the calculation they have made.  What Crystal has to do, is to avoid (intentionally) putting their passengers and crew in possible harm's way, while maintaining their business the best they can.  They just cannot act "irresponsibly," especially in the small likelihood that a disembarking passenger/crew gets infected in Hong Kong, or an infected passenger/crew member embarks in Hong Kong.  I guess Crystal is also counting on airlines to extend special waiver for changes.  Actually, a few airlines have already stopping flying to/from mainland China, so I'm hoping for those affected that either their flights out/into Hong Kong will be cancelled/changed for them, or the airlines will make it easy to change it.

Crystal will do the right thing as time evolves we will know more.  Of course we want the crew and guests to be safe.  Our prayers go out to those who are dealing with this virus anywhere.  Very scary world we live in now and I hate turning on the news.  I just go to the food network or Netflix to get my mind off of the turmoil.

I am one of those affected.  The UK government is issuing warnings about travel and also the consequences of the recent unrest on the HK infrastructure.   My carrier, British Airways, has agreed to rerouting me through Bangkok at no extra charge but I still have to pay for the extra flight BKK to Taipei, whereas I just had a direct flight LHR-HK before.  I have also booked myself into the Novotel at Taipei airport for the night of the 14th.  Just have to get to the ship on the 15th but that's another story!  Never been to this part of the world before.

And when I do reach "home" I'll heaving a huge sigh of relief and thinking of a stiff drink!

6 hours ago, Mask-1234 said:

Three major airlines have canceled flights to Asia. 

Better restate that.  Airlines have cancelled routes in/out of China.  Where have they been cancelling flights to other parts of "Asia" that are not part of the PRC?

7 hours ago, crimlaw@ecentral.com said:

Rob - has Crystal staff said anything about helping with costs for changing flights, or are passengers having to just cover that themselves?

This was received yesterday.

2BBBDB64-9455-4756-B180-A016FA1F12CE.jpeg

8533ED9E-25F9-489A-BA72-54DEF570CD7D.jpeg

1 hour ago, Grandma of Lily said:

I am one of those affected.  The UK government is issuing warnings about travel and also the consequences of the recent unrest on the HK infrastructure.   My carrier, British Airways, has agreed to rerouting me through Bangkok at no extra charge but I still have to pay for the extra flight BKK to Taipei, whereas I just had a direct flight LHR-HK before.  I have also booked myself into the Novotel at Taipei airport for the night of the 14th.  Just have to get to the ship on the 15th but that's another story!  Never been to this part of the world before.

And when I do reach "home" I'll heaving a huge sigh of relief and thinking of a stiff drink!

I have also booked myself into Novotel arriving late on 14th.  There will probably be a number of people who will be getting to ship the next day so we can probably organise a group transfer.

3 hours ago, Mask-1234 said:

I can’t remember the news reports but BA and two others are canceling flight into Hong Kong.  It has been on the news.

BA have only cancelled flights to Beijing and Shanghai. Hong Kong flights are unaffected. 

6 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Better restate that.  Airlines have cancelled routes in/out of China.  Where have they been cancelling flights to other parts of "Asia" that are not part of the PRC?

Some people think Asia is one giant country.  Sigh.

13 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I am disembarking in Taiwan and was able to change my flight from Hong Kong to Taiwan back to the US (on a US carrier) with no problem. I don't know that everyone will have it as easy as I did, but United was very accommodating.

Patty

United was very accommodating to me , also.....for the additional $3,600 they charged in order to change the origin of our flights (for two passengers) from Hong Kong to Taipei. 🙀

On 1/29/2020 at 7:53 AM, crimlaw@ecentral.com said:

Rob - do you mean they expressed concern that the cruises may be cancelled, like our March 1 cruise?

Not likely canceled, but itinerary changes and port changes are evaluated, based on the evolving situation. The logistics of last-minute itinerary changes is challenging, especially when most other cruise lines in the region are also evaluating port options for their Asian cruise season too.

This affects not only guests, but crew, entertainers, fuel deliveries, dock availabilities, food/liquor/supply deliveries, shore transportation & excursions, etc.

These are the concerns of the officers onboard.

Rob

2 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

United was very accommodating to me , also.....for the additional $3,600 they charged in order to change the origin of our flights (for two passengers) from Hong Kong to Taipei. 🙀

Sorry to hear that! I had bought my flight with miles so I had to stick with miles, but I'm getting about $30 back on my credit card (difference in taxes) and about 2500 air miles added to my account. And I didn't have to wait at all to get a human being to talk to about the issue. Sometimes you're just living right. 🙂

8 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

I hope Crystal is going to reimburse you for this, or at least that was my (perhaps wrong) impression.

11 hours ago, Beagle5 said:

BA have only cancelled flights to Beijing and Shanghai. Hong Kong flights are unaffected. 

21 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I hope Crystal is going to reimburse you for this, or at least that was my (perhaps wrong) impression.

We love Hong Kong and have traveled extensively throughout Asia.  More deaths reported this morning and more evacuated.  Unless things change we will stay away.  We wanted to do a back to back over the holidays but this is not going to happen as of right now.

Some people are just blind to the escalating situation with this virus.

37 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I would highly doubt that.

There have been few Hong Kong cancellations of flights.   Hong Kong remains green on the CDC site. UA cancelled a few HKG flights during the New Year period only because of lack of passengers.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/hong-kong-sar

China is another story and would not risk travel there.

Edited by PaulMCO
I would highly doubt that.
There have been few Hong Kong cancellations of flights.   Hong Kong remains green on the CDC site. UA cancelled a few HKG flights during the New Year period only because of lack of passengers.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/hong-kong-sar

China is another story and would not risk travel there.
Maybe someone who has a first hand knowledge can let us know how Crystal is handling this situation.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

We love Hong Kong and have traveled extensively throughout Asia.  More deaths reported this morning and more evacuated.  Unless things change we will stay away.  We wanted to do a back to back over the holidays but this is not going to happen as of right now.

Some people are just blind to the escalating situation with this virus.
Again, my friendly suggestion is to be more clear about how you express your thoughts. Your comment sounds like there are "More deaths reported" in Hong Kong, or you consider Asia to be one giant country.

Pages 8-9 in today’s Reflections on Symphony outlines the procedures for possible reimbursement claims due to changes from HK to Taiwan.

Rob
attachment1.en 35.pdf
I can't download this now but I hope Crystal continues to do the right thing to all affected by the itinerary change.

25 minutes ago, Psoque said:

Again, my friendly suggestion is to be more clear about how you express your thoughts. Your comment sounds like there are "More deaths reported" in Hong Kong, or you consider Asia to be one giant country.

It’s too close for us.  We will see how this virus evolves.  Mainland China does have more more deaths as reported on the news channels.  We will book another Crystal cruise away from Asia or the time being.

Lots can change in the next year.  We'll see what the medical community  and world-health organization has to  say and what is learned in  the coming month(s).  And whether or not this virus is contained.  This  is not the  first time that things hit big (SARS, Bird Flu) and months later it's no  longer an issue.

I  was just reading  a report  that said  so far this year 15 million  Americans have gotten Influenza and over 8,000 deaths have  resulted.

I do believe at this time  it is better to  error on taking a cautious  approach on this including what  airlines  and cruise lines are dong  until more is known.  What things  will be  like in a year  is anyone's  guess.  We won't adjust  any  of our longer  term  plans  at this point in time.  

Odds say it will not be this  new  virus we are talking about end of this year, but something else.  

Keith

18 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Lots can change in the next year.  We'll see what the medical community  and world-health organization has to  say and what is learned in  the coming month(s).  And whether or not this virus is contained.  This  is not the  first time that things hit big (SARS, Bird Flu) and months later it's no  longer an issue.

I  was just reading  a report  that said  so far this year 15 million  Americans have gotten Influenza and over 8,000 deaths have  resulted.

I do believe at this time  it is better to  error on taking a cautious  approach on this including what  airlines  and cruise lines are dong  until more is known.  What things  will be  like in a year  is anyone's  guess.  We won't adjust  any  of our longer  term  plans  at this point in time.  

Odds say it will not be this  new  virus we are talking about end of this year, but something else.  

Keith

Keith,

That's sound advice for those either having a cruise booked for next year or those looking to book a cruise next year but it's not so good for those of us in the situation of having a cruise coming up shortly in the area where Coronavirus is prevalent.

I made a booking 12 months ago for the cruise Singapore to Hong Kong on 1st.March 2020, Crystal, for the time being, have changed the final port from Hong Kong to Keelung in Taiwan and this is not the cruise i booked and in my mind Crystal should either offer refunds or credit against future cruises.

Just now, neilridd said:

Keith,

That's sound advice for those either having a cruise booked for next year or those looking to book a cruise next year but it's not so good for those of us in the situation of having a cruise coming up shortly in the area where Coronavirus is prevalent.

I made a booking 12 months ago for the cruise Singapore to Hong Kong on 1st.March 2020, Crystal, for the time being, have changed the final port from Hong Kong to Keelung in Taiwan and this is not the cruise i booked and in my mind Crystal should either offer refunds or credit against future cruises.

neilridd....you are correct.  My comments are about cruises end of the year and next year.  My point is a lot of things can change by then.  It  was not to address  the near term cruises.

In the United States the terms and agreements from  Crystal Cruises and all cruise lines does allow for itinerary changes to be made.  Crystal is certainly not alone in making these changes and  I think most people do understand  that they  had no choice.  The same goes for changes required for other issues  such  as  disruptions from weather, Volcanic  eruptions,  terrorism and so forth.  I am not sure if rules for  the UK/Europe are different.   I can  only speak for myself that  if I was in a similar situation I might be disappointed but I would not expect Crystal to give me a full refund or a full credit against a  future cruise.  Certainly, insurance is something that one could consider to provide some protection at the time they book the cruise.  

We all take  risks when we  book travel.  We try not to think  about them but just as there are our own  health risks should be get  sick or need medical attention the reality is there are other risks such as what I noted.

Keith