Crystal & the Corona Virus

kmkord

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Is Crystal still planned to sail in May/June? Are people who booked those cruises in Europe (Spain, Portugal etc.) still planning to go?

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

According to Crystal website, the sailings are still a go. I was asking what people intend to do. Not rumors.

You asked the first question above.  Then later you post that you already knew the answer.

Edited by FlyerTalker

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Is Crystal still planned to sail in May/June? Are people who booked those cruises in Europe (Spain, Portugal etc.) still planning to go?

We were supposed to be boarding Serenity on 22 May and will be traveling from Australia to get to the ship.  We are holding out for Crystal to cancel but if they don't we will cancel at 31 days out.  

4 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Will Crystal sail in May/June. No one here has any idea. If they do, I'm still planning on doing my June cruise. 

Patty

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim9310 said:

Experts seem to be disallowed here.

I posted the website of a 19-minute interview on Mar. 6 on British television (channel 4).

In it, the CEO of the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CPEI) Dr Richard Hatchett explained the long-term dangers of the Covid-19 coronavirus - saying it's the scariest outbreak he's dealt with in his 20-year career.

CPEI was founded by The Wellcome Trust, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, et al.

My posting and a subsequent comment containing my posting were deleted from this board.

Unfortunately I have learnt over the years that anything that might be perceived as negative press for cruising or cruise lines will often be deleted whether truth or not. That video was one of the most informative discussions on the risk we are facing and was consistent with every other public health official and infectious disease expert I have seen.

Posters are allowed to report each other’s posts and the hosts will tend to simply delete. As we know the most prominent posters on here don’t accept the experts messaging and want everyone to believe this is similar to the flu and that other countries information is not to be trusted. Despite evidence that their own country has refused to provide data on testing or on actual patient cases (until death), have failed to provide information to there public on the origin of positive cases or the fact it has not quarantined ships despite proof of past cases onboard (Celebrity and MSc).

The truth is a casualty. Maybe the stock market plunge will prove to people this is real and serious?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

Will Crystal sail in May/June. No one here has any idea. If they do, I'm still planning on doing my June cruise. 

Patty

Is this a question or a statement?

If a question we have no idea but considering Italy has not peaked, Spain is catching up rapidly and most European nations are closing their borders I am not sure where they plan on sailing to.

We are due on May 8, I give us .1% of a chance of being in that ship.

”so your saying there’s a chance” 😜

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeanHenderson said:

We were supposed to be boarding Serenity on 22 May and will be traveling from Australia to get to the ship.  We are holding out for Crystal to cancel but if they don't we will cancel at 31 days out.  

You can wait until 8 days out on the new policy

On 3/16/2020 at 7:59 AM, calliopecruiser said:

There are no specific medications for influenza.  There are general anti-viral drugs that fight viruses, and are approved in cases of influenza, but they are not specific to influenza. 

Actually, there are 3 FDA approved drugs specifically approved for treatment of influenza infection.  The problem with these drugs are that they are not that effective, and at best it may shorten the duration of the symptoms by a day or two, and there is a huge controversy about proper use of these drugs.

Edited by Psoque

1 hour ago, Psoque said:

Actually, there are 3 FDA approved drugs specifically approved for treatment of influenza infection. 

In my view, something being approved for use does not make it "specifically for" a particular problem.  YMMV, but I prescribe drugs as part of my job, and to me the difference is significant.  Approved for use means it's been shown to usually have a positive effect and at least not to usually have a negative effect......and it's legal to use it for that application.  That can mean it's just a secondary effect of a drug that was actually developed for something else, or a broad spectrum effect of a drug that was developed for an entire class of microbes.   If a drug is "specifically for" a microbe, that means its target is narrow and specific.

I'm not on, or booked on, a Crystal cruise.  However, I am curious:  Are Crystal ships still sailing?  If so, has Crystal (or a parent company, if there is one) announced when they will stop sailing for a while?  It seems that just about every other cruise line has stopped, but I haven't read about Crystal, so I wasn't sure of their status. 

1 minute ago, roothy123 said:

I'm not on, or booked on, a Crystal cruise.  However, I am curious:  Are Crystal ships still sailing?  If so, has Crystal (or a parent company, if there is one) announced when they will stop sailing for a while?  It seems that just about every other cruise line has stopped, but I haven't read about Crystal, so I wasn't sure of their status. 

Crystal's web page has the latest info.  I recommend checking there as you get only the information without any commentary.

1 hour ago, roothy123 said:

When the current World Cruise on Serenity comes to an end shortly in Perth then none of the Crystal ships will be sailing with guests on board.

Keith

1 hour ago, roothy123 said:

They have 2 ocean vessels. The Symphony is in dry dock In Singapore which was a scheduled dry dock but it has cancelled the remainder of its Asian season. It is due to sail from Dubai on May 8.

The Serenity is still sailing and is on its world cruise, this has been prematurely ended and they are due in Perth shortly. Their next sailing is April 21.

So Crystal doesn’t have an official suspension like other lines but only having 2 ships and suspending their itineraries has led to the same outcome.

Just now, teamflames said:

They have 2 ocean vessels. The Symphony is in dry dock In Singapore which was a scheduled dry dock but it has cancelled the remainder of its Asian season. It is due to sail from Dubai on May 8.

The Serenity is still sailing and is on its world cruise, this has been prematurely ended and they are due in Perth shortly. Their next sailing is April 21.

So Crystal doesn’t have an official suspension like other lines but only having 2 ships and suspending their itineraries has led to the same outcome.

They have Esprit and River Cruise vessels. as well and none of them will be sailing short term.

Keith

5 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

In my view, something being approved for use does not make it "specifically for" a particular problem.  YMMV, but I prescribe drugs as part of my job, and to me the difference is significant.  Approved for use means it's been shown to usually have a positive effect and at least not to usually have a negative effect......and it's legal to use it for that application.  That can mean it's just a secondary effect of a drug that was actually developed for something else, or a broad spectrum effect of a drug that was developed for an entire class of microbes.   If a drug is "specifically for" a microbe, that means its target is narrow and specific.

But I think that's really the case with most drugs that are meant to fight infection.  My understanding with antivirals is that they just don't work all that well in general, but at the same time, each drug has efficacy for a specific list of viruses.  For that matter, except for, say vitamins for vitamin deficiency, there is any drug that I know that is very specific and works really well for a particular condition and for that condition only.  At least that's my understanding that I have from my scientific and clinical training.

But at the same time, the heavily marketed drugs for influenza is, in my opinion, over-marketed, especially in the US.  It almost makes it sound like if you don't take drug X for influenza, YOU WILL DIE.  I see that you are in Canada, but in the US, pharmaceutical companies can run direct-to-consumers ads that are intentionally misleading.  This is very disturbing to me as a healthcare provider.

• Like 2

According to the news - Canada has cancelled cruise ship stops (at least East Coast) ones.    That will prevent all the ships that do the northeast coast up to Canada and then back to US (or vice versa).   Due the US law those ships can't do just US ports even if the ports would allow.

Not saying this is wrong but like all other businesses cruise lines are getting hit real bad.

Jonathan, do any cruise lines sail this area right now?  Either way I don't see anyone getting on a cruise ship at this point it i the  from the USA or for that matter pretty much anywhere.  At a time when we are being asked to keep distances of six feet from people and to avoid being in group settings I am afraid cruises seem out of the question and we are getting to the point the same applies to flights.  Same might go for trains, buses, sporting events (most cancelled anyway), movies, restaurants, and the list goes on and on and on.

Keith

P.S.

Just read that USA in conjunction with Canada is closing the Northern Border crossings between the USA and Canada except for trade.

Add major department stores to the list - Macys, Nordstrom, et al.  The specialty stores - REI, Lululemon, and on and on - already were closing.  Hang in there Walmart, we need you.

Edited by flyingshoes

Major movie chains have closed their theaters.  In Illinois, restaurants can no longer offer dine-in capability; take out or delivery only.  Of course, all public and private k-12 schools closed and using e-learning; same with most universities and colleges.

Chains like Walmart and Target, and many grocers, are amending shopping hours to allow for better cleaning and stocking (and hopefully a bit less strain on their employees) nationwide.  For example, all Targets now close at 9:00 pm local time.  Walmart, I believe, has stopped offering 24 hour open daily.  I suspect Walmart and Target will continue to be considered essential stores, even as so many areas are approaching shelter in place status in the US.  

Airlines are under enormous stress - worse than 9/11. 

While it's nice to think about a lovely cruise after the crisis, I suspect we'll see a major contraction in the industry.  Airlines are, at least, essential transportation even if they don't rebound to the levels of just a month ago.  Cruise ships? Well, maybe they can be used to transport needed supplies and house medical workers.  I can't think of anyway else they'd be considered essential transportation at this time, no matter how it hurts the workers affiliated with the industry.

The cruise industry has been one of the first ones to succumb to the irruption of COVID-19.   Sadly, Crystal's entire fleet has now become dormant, facing an unfathomable future.

Today, the fate of entire industries and national economies requires creative thinking and ingenuity to overcome awesome challenges immediately ahead.  Interconnected financial markets are perilously in disarray.  Social distancing and mandatory isolation are problematic and against human nature.  Supplies and demands for goods and services have suddenly become incredibly unbalanced.  Some types of jobs have disappeared while other jobs are so undermanned that goods and services are being rationed either by fiat or by opportunistically outrageous prices.

Our collective number-one global objective has to be to tame, overcome, and/or defeat COVID-19 as soon as possible.   Know-how, science, technology, manufacturing, and distribution in many sectors needs to get purposefully reoriented fast (“put on a war footing”).  At this early stage, the right pathways to follow are poorly understood.  There also are few highly trained, well-experienced leaders and managers to guide our frantic efforts to safely return to normal life.