Best Way to get from New York airport to New Jersey port

D & S

Taking a cruise out of Bayonne port in Newark but cheaper to fly into New York for our dates.  Will be coming in a day before the cruise so no cruise transfer.  What would be the best method of transportation , cost and how difficult would it be with a couple of large suitcases. Thanks for any help as we have never been to New York.

There aren't any easy mass transit options from either La Guardia (LGA) or JFK airports over to Bayonne, Newark is definitely the easiest. I live here so I haven't ever needed to arrange this type of transit but I've lived here all my life and so I know how to get around, what's here, makes sense etc.

I wonder if you've thought of spending a night somewhere–there are lots of apps to search for last minute hotel rooms (many can be booked in advance or, last minute!), maybe search for a deal on a room in Manhattan (they exist) or in Brooklyn. In that case, you  have many more options for transit, including coach buses, long island rail road, the subway and flat rate cabs or uber/lyft into the city or Brooklyn. Or you can catch a cab or uber to Bayonne to stay there over night from LGA or JFK for the night but it won't be inexpensive, especially if there is traffic, depending upon what time you arrive. 

There is also an airport north of Manhattan in White Plains (HPN) but there aren't always reasonable flights available (sometimes on JetBlue if where you live is served by them) arriving at White Plains as it tends to serve as a quasi-private jet airport though it's a full fledged airport for traditional airlines.

And so, if you've never been to NYC and fancy having a preview (do come back!) then perhaps save money on airfare and use it for a preview of the city. Otherwise, fly direct to Newark and go straight to Bayonne on cruise day. Also, read up on finding best airfares; it's not as straightforward as you may think!

Good luck 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

You could take an airport bus shuttle from either JFK or LaGuardia to Grand Central.  Then stay at a hotel near Grand Central--the train station itself has great places to eat!  Then you could take the airport bus (inexpensive) from Grand Central to Newark Airport, then take a taxi to the Bayonne Cruise terminal.  This might be the most inexpensive way to do this.  Taxis from La Guardia to Manhattan are around $40, and more from JFK.  Airport buses have schedules and are generally around $20 one way (depends which one).  Check it out!  Newark can sometimes be cheaper to fly into than the NYC airports.  Plus you can get a hotel near Newark airport and get a taxi to the cruise.  But as one post says, NYC is a great city and very worth the time and energy to explore!!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are using  a company goairlinkshuttle to travel from Newark EWR airport to an NYC hotel the night before our cruise.

Their site also includes transportation from NY airports-worth a try at least.

They have shuttles along with limos. 

• Like 1

We did a Can-NE cruise out of Bayonne a few years ago.  Spent a few days in the city and then took a hired car with another couple in our CC group over to Bayonne.  Worked out well even though we were at different hotels.

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing - that it would have to be a lot cheaper to fly to JFK or LGA than to Newark.  However, if you are planning to stay the night in NYC (since you have never been) it makes some sense.  

• 2 weeks later...

We are coming in to Newark on Sat, have a room at Staten Island Hampton Inn (free shuttle from Newark, and a nominal fee for transfer to Bayonne Cruise Port the day of Cruise. We are coming from Tucson.