Any ideas for a taqueria in Mazatlan with easy access or walking distance from port?

I've got an Italian restaurant picked out for each of Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta but want something different in Mazatlan.  A standard American type steakhouse (definitely no Brazilian or Argentinian or any of those types of places) would also be great.  Anyone have any ideas?  I've search a lot and couldn't come up with anything definitive.

At Mazatalan head for Isla Piedra (Stone Island)... It’s not really an island. It’s a peninsula just across the channel from the cruise terminal. Take a left as you leave the terminal, when the main road veers to the right look for a dirt road veering slightly to the left. (Ignore the first set of boats on the left of the path. Keep walking to the end of the path to the ticket buidling. It is about a 5 to 10 minute walk from the terminal entrance). Round trip on the water taxi is $2.00 American or 30 pesos. Have exact change in US dollars or you’ll have a fist full of Mexican money.

Walk straight, from the water taxi, over the hill and you’ll see a huge crescent of beach with 3-4 dozen large palapa restaurante/cantinas right on the beach. ( This is were the locals come to play in the surf).

Look for Restaurante Esteban (Has a green front).

1252762401_ISLAPIEDRASIGNAGE.thumb.jpg.5

342073782_ISLAPIEDRAWATERTAXIS.thumb.jpg

1741478192_ISLAPIEDRAII.JPG.cf46a905a0d7

Note I plagirized the above from Mediaspot

He is correct. Well worth a visit to see how and what the locals eat and enjoy.

If you are lucky you will see some locals walking their pet Iguanas.

Wear proper walking shoes and take a hat.

Edited by brisalta

Why would you pick out an Italian restaurant in Mexico?

Do you pick a Mexican restaurant when in Italy?

There is a taqueria down a side street in Cabo San Lucas that serves smoked marlin tacos. That is something really special. If I can remember what it is called I will post it here.

8 hours ago, brisalta said:

Why would you pick out an Italian restaurant in Mexico?

Do you pick a Mexican restaurant when in Italy?

There is a taqueria down a side street in Cabo San Lucas that serves smoked marlin tacos. That is something really special. If I can remember what it is called I will post it here.

Because I love Italian food more than any other and they seem to have what appears to be a few very good places that are very close to the port area.  Living in California, good Mexican food isn't hard to come by. 

2 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Because I love Italian food more than any other and they seem to have what appears to be a few very good places that are very close to the port area.  Living in California, good Mexican food isn't hard to come by. 

Except the Mexican food served in California is CalMex not actual Mexican food.

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

Which is fine with me.  I don't get caught up in labels.  If the food is good, it's good.  I'm plenty fine with Chipotle and Taco Bell.  I'm sure you and others may scoff but they sell billions of dollars worth of that stuff every year so obviously plenty of people like it.  And to wit, I am a very picky eater so I am not one to want explore some notion of authentic or not.  I want a basic quesadilla or burrito with just carne asada, cheese and sour cream.  So no salsa, no pico de gallo, no guacamole, no onions or cilantro, etc.  Rice is a hit or miss depending on how they spice it and I'm always fine with pinto beans.

Which Italian spot did you pick for Cabo. We've been going to Cabo for 18 years as timeshare owners. This year our annual trip is in May. We generally do late late October but had to change things up this year. Our favorite has always been Restaurante Salvatore's. Absolutely amazingly huge serving of Lasagna (it will feed 2 people). The Porchetta is also supposed to be fantastic but I've never had it because I just HAVE TO get the Lasagna (and I don't share), but I always have leftovers for lunch the next day. Salvatore's has earned the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence.

Edited by SDPadreFan

Also in Cabo - if you don't have breakfast on the ship, Solomons Landing (on the marina walk) has an excellent Chilaquiles. Guy Fieri even did a Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives segment there when he was in Cabo.

14 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I plan on going to Invitra Bistro in Cabo: http://invitabistro.com/menu/food/

And Abbraccio in PV: https://www.abbraccio.mx/storage/2020/01/ABBRACCIONOV19.pdf

That's the plan anyway and I have 2100 pesos to spend off.  As for breakfast, I do plan on utilizing the ship for convenience.

Invitra is about a block and a half away from Salvatore's. Salvatore's is on a side street while Invitra is on Calle Miguel Hidalgo (aka Restaurant Road). I'm sure it will be great.

On 1/27/2020 at 10:56 AM, brisalta said:

There are a massive amount of mexican restaurants in California that are not cal-mex. 

On 1/27/2020 at 10:56 AM, brisalta said:

That’s pretty broad. I go to several “hole in the wall” places that are Mexican. And a large percentage of our staff at work are Mexican and frequently return “home”. They are some of the most awesome cooks. 

• 3 weeks later...