Britain's biggest cruise operator is becoming 'Butlins on Sea', Which? survey finds (today's Telegraph)

Harry Peterson

6 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

I was (naively) staggered to find some of those wines in my local Majestic store not long ago and there were about £6-£7 a bottle whereas P&O charge you approx. £17-£25 a bottle for most wines.   That's £6-£7 from majestic for ordinary public punters.   Imagine how little Carnival pay for it with a colossal bulk order !!!

That doesn’t seem like a terrible mark up to me... It’s like saying a litre of gin is a fiver in M&S Gibraltar, how can they justify charging that for a single G&T in the Glass House?

The drink prices on Cunard are shocking, and to add insult to injury they add a 12% “service charge” whereas P&O offer a Peninsular discount - modest, but it adds up...

Whatever criticisms can be levelled at P&O, I don’t think unreasonable drink prices is one of them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, funinhounslow said:

That doesn’t seem like a terrible mark up to me... It’s like saying a litre of gin is a fiver in M&S Gibraltar, how can they justify charging that for a single G&T in the Glass House?

The drink prices on Cunard are shocking, and to add insult to injury they add a 12% “service charge” whereas P&O offer a Peninsular discount - modest, but it adds up...

Whatever criticisms can be levelled at P&O, I don’t think unreasonable drink prices is one of them.

I agree.

I paid £80 for 2 bottles of wine in a local restaurant which makes P&O £34-£50 seem very cheap for 2 bottles of wine.

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I agree.

I paid £80 for 2 bottles of wine in a local restaurant which makes P&O £34-£50 seem very cheap for 2 bottles of wine.

Yep, £17 for the one we like, great value considering they could charge me double and I would still pay it.. 

Andy 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, funinhounslow said:

Cunard add 15% service charge to all drinks.

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Yep, £17 for the one we like, great value considering they could charge me double and I would still pay it.. 

Andy 

You do realise you are going to be asked to name your favourite £17 wine so I may as well be the one to do so.  My favourite is Velvet Devil merlot which is about a fiver more.

10 minutes ago, pete14 said:

You do realise you are going to be asked to name your favourite £17 wine so I may as well be the one to do so.  My favourite is Velvet Devil merlot which is about a fiver more.

I've already named it, it's Michelle's favourite, I just help her drink it.. 

West Coast Swing I think its called.. Zinfandel. 

Andy 

16 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I've already named it, it's Michelle's favourite, I just help her drink it.. 

West Coast Swing I think its called.. Zinfandel. 

Andy 

Next cruise, try Velvet Devil and let Michelle to help you. I’ll try West Coast Swing on Iona in May although I’m not normally keen on Zinfandel. 

Just now, pete14 said:

Next cruise, try Velvet Devil and let Michelle to help you. I’ll try West Coast Swing on Iona in May although I’m not normally keen on Zinfandel. 

If you like wine, you probably won't like it, but for lightweights like us, it works a treat.. 😊

Andy 

7 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

If you like wine, you probably won't like it, but for lightweights like us, it works a treat.. 😊

Andy 

It is a zinfandel. We drink it. most of the time. Not as nice as the Bulletin was though. It's the only wine we've found that doesn't taste awful when drinking it during a meal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

My favourite is Velvet Devil merlot which is about a fiver more.

Velvet Devil Merlot is very good.

I also highly recommend the Aruba Malbec

And as per other poster any Zinfandel is good for an easy drink.

If you are ever celebrating and feeling a little lavish then I highly recommend a bottle of the Icewine Cuvee sold in the glass house.  It is delicious and far better than champagne imho.  About £30-£35 a bottle I think.

20 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

The thing is Bee-ess those "catchy named" wines aren't really that good and they are selected purely for their name because they know passengers will find it a novelty and remember the name and keep ordering it as a result.  "Billi Billi" shiraz, Kung Fu Riesling etc etc.   I was (naively) staggered to find some of those wines in my local Majestic store not long ago and there were about £6-£7 a bottle whereas P&O charge you approx. £17-£25 a bottle for most wines.   That's £6-£7 from majestic for ordinary public punters.   Imagine how little Carnival pay for it with a colossal bulk order !!!

The Kaiken Malbec that I also liked was about £7 in Majestic too !   It's been replaced now but likely with something similarly priced.

Despite its alluring name,Blue nun never appealed to me,lol.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Despite its alluring name,Blue nun never appealed to me,lol.

Ditto Mateus Rose with it’s sophisticated looking bottle nor Bulls Blood which I seem to remember was Bulgarian. Whatever happened to good old Liebfraumilch?

8 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

Velvet Devil Merlot is very good.

I also highly recommend the Aruba Malbec

And as per other poster any Zinfandel is good for an easy drink.

If you are ever celebrating and feeling a little lavish then I highly recommend a bottle of the Icewine Cuvee sold in the glass house.  It is delicious and far better than champagne imho.  About £30-£35 a bottle I think.

Another vote here for the Peller Ice Cuvée. It’s available in the Glasshouse as a white or Rose’, by the bottle or glass. My wife slightly prefers the Rose’ but we both love the white. On embarkation day we tend to go directly to the Glasshouse for lunch when we board and the first thing that we order before we’ve even looked at the menu is a bottle of Ice Cuvée! It’s become our traditional ‘welcome aboard drink’. We always enjoy a glass of champagne but also prefer Peller Ice Cuvée. 

• Like 1

"The thing is Bee-ess those "catchy named" wines aren't really that good and they are selected purely for their name.......Velvet Devil Merlot is very good"

So Billi Billi is a catchy name and Velvet Devil isn't.  As long as we all understand....... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

Ditto Mateus Rose with it’s sophisticated looking bottle nor Bulls Blood which I seem to remember was Bulgarian. Whatever happened to good old Liebfraumilch?

I think I've seen a Liebfraumilch on P&O's wine list? 

25 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I think I've seen a Liebfraumilch on P&O's wine list? 

I must have missed it.
I guess it is a much better wine than the mass produced stuff people chugged in the dim and distant. 

Edited by pete14

1 hour ago, crompton21 said:

"The thing is Bee-ess those "catchy named" wines aren't really that good and they are selected purely for their name.......Velvet Devil Merlot is very good"

So Billi Billi is a catchy name and Velvet Devil isn't.  As long as we all understand....... 

I thought I bought it because I liked it but now realise I was seduced by the name - that awful P&O con me at every turn.😋 

After 20 years cruising I have learned so much in the last few days.

Edited by bee-ess
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Another vote here for the Peller Ice Cuvée. It’s available in the Glasshouse as a white or Rose’, by the bottle or glass. My wife slightly prefers the Rose’ but we both love the white. On embarkation day we tend to go directly to the Glasshouse for lunch when we board and the first thing that we order before we’ve even looked at the menu is a bottle of Ice Cuvée! It’s become our traditional ‘welcome aboard drink’. We always enjoy a glass of champagne but also prefer Peller Ice Cuvée. 

But this takes us back to the point that wine is so much about personal taste.  As so many people had been raving about the Peller Ice Cuvee, I tried it last time I was on P&O and found it far too sweet for me.  That was the white, not the Rose, which I haven't tried.

14 minutes ago, Britboys said:

But this takes us back to the point that wine is so much about personal taste.  As so many people had been raving about the Peller Ice Cuvee, I tried it last time I was on P&O and found it far too sweet for me.  That was the white, not the Rose, which I haven't tried.

Then steer clear of the Rose Andrew! I agree that the white is quite sweet but the Rose is sweeter!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

Somebody gave us a bottle of Matteus Rose at Christmas... 

Tasted like vinegar... Pretty bottle though

Andy