Cruises departing from Rotterdam

seacruise9

Hi, 

I am considering a cruise on the Rotterdam that departs from the port of Rotterdam. As an ocean liner enthusiast, I would like to spend at least one night before the cruise staying aboard the SS Rotterdam (former Holland America flagship from 1959). I cruised aboard the SS Rotterdam in 1992 and would like to see this ship again. Also, I think it would be fun to stay on the former Rotterdam and then take a cruise on the current Rotterdam. Has anyone done this? Did it work out well? Also, how do the flight arrangements work for Americans? Do people typically fly to London and then do a short flight to Rotterdam? 

Thanks, 

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

We flew to Amsterdam from DFW, stayed overnight in Amsterdam and took HAL arranged transport to Rotterdam.  There were no hotels available in Rotterdam as they had some ‘event’ there.  We would have  loved to stay in Hotel New York ( the old HAL headquarters) or the ship Rotterdam but neither were available. We sailed past both, as we departed.  The first 2 pictures are Hotel NY And second 2 are Rotterdam. These were taken July 2019.  I recommend early reservations.  I waited too late. 😔

658EEF72-0387-484F-9EFC-0B7F608884EB.jpeg

3442C5D1-DC2D-44DE-83A4-1DF24FCAB77D.jpeg

65FC9635-B2F0-47C9-A833-5005A2727285.jpeg

AC5DE20A-7259-4553-B3BA-61C2CC312B2B.jpeg

I would fly to Amsterdam directly, if that were an option from a nearby airport; non-stop would be even better.
It's hard on the old bod to change planes in Europe after an overnight flight. My body is still trapped in the middle of the night, and just not willing to work properly!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

Also, I think it would be fun to stay on the former Rotterdam and then take a cruise on the current Rotterdam. Has anyone done this? Did it work out well? Also, how do the flight arrangements work for Americans? Do people typically fly to London and then do a short flight to Rotterdam? 

Thanks, 

Chuck

In addition to the above answers: I did not do this as I live at 15 minutes drive from ss Rotterdam and Cruise terminal/ Take care that you arrive and depart in London from the same airport. From Amsterdam Schiphol to Rotterdam Central railway station takes 26 minutes  and 20/25 additional minutes to Hotel New York or the Cruise Terminal by Metro and 8-10 minutes walk. If reserved online (f.e. after arrival at Schiphol) the railway company offers a so called "Zone-taxi" for the additional distance from the railway station. Price about € 11,70 to Cruise terminal or Hotel New York. Price for the Zonetaxi to the s.s. Rotterdam € 14,90.    From ss. Rotterdam to the cruise terminal: ask the hotel for their shuttle bus to the terminal or venture a watertaxi from ss. Rotterdam to the m.s. Rotterdam/Hotel New York pier.  And please, do not book you cruise near the period of the Songfestival May 12-16 next. No hotelroom anywhere in the neighbourhood. Enjoy 3 x Rotterdam.

33 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

In addition to the above answers: I did not do this as I live at 15 minutes drive from ss Rotterdam and Cruise terminal/ Take care that you arrive and depart in London from the same airport. From Amsterdam Schiphol to Rotterdam Central railway station takes 26 minutes  and 20/25 additional minutes to Hotel New York or the Cruise Terminal by Metro and 8-10 minutes walk. If reserved online (f.e. after arrival at Schiphol) the railway company offers a so called "Zone-taxi" for the additional distance from the railway station. Price about € 11,70 to Cruise terminal or Hotel New York. Price for the Zonetaxi to the s.s. Rotterdam € 14,90.    From ss. Rotterdam to the cruise terminal: ask the hotel for their shuttle bus to the terminal or venture a watertaxi from ss. Rotterdam to the m.s. Rotterdam/Hotel New York pier.  And please, do not book you cruise near the period of the Songfestival May 12-16 next. No hotelroom anywhere in the neighbourhood. Enjoy 3 x Rotterdam.

Very interesting.  In April we will cruise to Rotterdam on the ms. Rotterdam, then spend one night at ss. Rotterdam.  The next day we fly from Schiphol to Gatwick.  There has been a recommendation to use airporttransfer.amsterdam/ on the port boards.  It is quite expensive, but for the two of us oldies, with luggage, it seems like a good alternative.  We have not made a final decision to book, can't decide!

Edited by Vict0riann

3 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Very interesting.  In April we will cruise to Rotterdam on the ms. Rotterdam, then spend one night at ss. Rotterdam.  The next day we fly from Schipol to Gatwick.  There has been a recommendation to use airporttransfer.amsterdam/ on the port boards.  It is quite expensive, but for the two of us oldies, with luggage, it seems like a good alternative.  We have not made a final decision to book, can't decide!

If the company offers you a transfer with f.e. visit to the Keukenhof (tulip and other bulbflowers) before dropping you at Schiphol for a reasonable price, I would go for it.  Do you have a special reason to fly from Schiphol to London Gatwick? Rotterdam-The Hague airport to  London City could be an alternative. 

1 minute ago, MAVIP said:

If the company offers you a transfer with f.e. visit to the Keukenhof (tulip and other bulbflowers) before dropping you at Schiphol for a reasonable price, I would go for it.  Do you have a special reason to fly from Schiphol to London Gatwick? Rotterdam-The Hague airport to  London City could be an alternative. 

Thanks.  Our TA offered us London City, but DH decided Gatwick was closer to his cousins, and he has a driver organized.

I have never stayed in Rotterdam as we drive up from Brussels, which is just 2 hours away. We do park at the SS Rotterdam though and I think it would be great to stay there before a cruise. The alternative, as others have said, is the Hotel New York (former HAL Headquarters), which is right where the ship docks. Friends of mine did this and loved it.

We are on the Rotterdam, Oct 3 sailing for 29 days to Ft. Lauderdale.   We were able to get a non-stop flight from Tampa to Schiphol (Amsterdam) on Delta, and then a private car to the Suite Hotel Pincoff in Rotterdam (on the canal) for 4 nights.  We will taxi from the hotel to the pier on Saturday the 3rd.   

We booked the flight with HAL's Flight Ease and got a great one-way price for Business class.   The private car from Schiphol to our hotel was 115 Euros, but we are splitting that between 2 couples,