Anyone on the Ovation Right Now - January 27

geoffieg

One of the ship tracking sites shows the ship did dock in HK however it hasn't gone to Manila but back to Ho Chi Minh. Indeed the Phillipines has banned anyone from not-only mainland china but also HK and Macau so not much choice. Most other countries in the region which have travel bans do not include Hong Kong (or Macau) at this point but if things continue to escalate a two week cruise is going to consist of 14 sea days returning to your port of origin! 

Edited by rols

I just read that Viet Nam did not allow the Ovation to dock there.  Now, the ship appears to be going to Bangkok according someone on board.  This means several more days at sea and they are hopeful that Thailand will let Ovation dock.  I believe other countries ARE beginning to include travelers from Hong Kong in their travel ban.  I know it was a difficult decision, but it is looking like SB should have cancelled the current cruise.  

Edited by SLSD

It’s due back in Hong Kong on the 29th before it leaves for Europe. We are supposed to pick it up in Singapore. I hope they see sense and start making a plan or even Singapore won’t have them. Other lines have cut out Hong Kong . Seems poor management. It must be awfully hard on the crew.

Comment on Post #'s 5 & 6:

As one who is invested, i.e. booked on Sojourn for SE Asia I am comfortable with how I see Seabourn handling the issue.

It was subsequent to Feb 1 that the Philippines added HK to their ban. From the article you refer to the Pax who are quoted seem to be happy and I am confident Seabourn will do the necessary to make up for the schedule issues that have occurred and may yet occur on this particular cruise.

I suspect when Ovations current cruise is finished Seabourn will have made the necessary changes to her ensuing port schedules where countries have updated their bans. Clearly some risk being disappointed or scrambling to rebook flights.

Fluid situations like this present a challenge with no one size fits all solution. I would be most unhappy if Seabourn applied bans as RCL did, but I do understand RCL is a different beast.

Westerdam I see also embarked HK and re-routed successfully from Manilla to Taiwan port.

I am not in position to opine on management action from my quarter back chair. If I am overly optimistic and wrong I will freely admit same!

Edited by Cantara24
typo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cantara24 said:

Comment on Post #'s 5 & 6:

As one who is invested, i.e. booked on Sojourn for SE Asia I am comfortable with how I see Seabourn handling the issue.

I hope all goes well for the upcoming cruises.  I am just trying to figure out how they can go back to Hong Kong and expect to then dock anywhere else with all the current restrictions.  Not my business of course, but I am watching and reading.  I hope that is ok.  

"I am just trying to figure out how they can go back to Hong Kong and expect to then dock anywhere else with all the current restrictions"

That my point, bans can change any day; I am sure Seabourn will make the adjustments. But why negatively impact paid guests when you don't have sufficient information to make the call and still have time to assess current info.

I would hope any change/cancel communication would be with the affected Pax, not a press release. AFAIK Singapore, Australia, Thailand have not yet included HK in their bans. Vietnam was clearly unexpected.

SLSD I am totally ok with your posts; I simply get annoyed when judgemental comments are made about management decisions and the criticism is not supported with fact, i.e. Post #6.

I'm not booked on a cruise on the Ovation until much later this year, but I can appreciate how frustrated those who are booked on upcoming ones are. I would be too. However, I agree with Cantara 24 that the situation and bans are so fluid that making decisions has to be extremely difficult.  Had  Seabourn canceled the cruise that began last weekend in Hong Kong they would have had to figure out what to do with potentially as many as 1200 passengers, the 600 on the cruise that ended (some of whom may have booked back to back cruises) and as many as 600 who had made their way to Hong Kong to board the ship.   Additionally I know that ports where cruises end and begin are usually big resupply places for the next cruise.  If Seabourn or any cruise line cancels a stop in such a port they also have to figure out where the resupply can occur instead.  That presents another logistic problem.  Whether those of us not affected learn of the decisions being made is certainly not as important as keeping those on board and on the next cruise or two advised.  Hopefully that's being done in what is a very difficult situation for all of those involved whether they are passengers or people in home offices all dealing with changes that occur almost hourly.

2 hours ago, Cantara24 said:

SLSD I am totally ok with your posts; I simply get annoyed when judgemental comments are made about management decisions and the criticism is not supported with fact, i.e. Post #6.

It was just a comment and I know you think it was imprudent.  I am a very cautious person and would not enjoy the uncertainty at the moment.  But, I do agree that SB will make the best of it for their guests.  I did not intend to be judgmental.  I will refrain from posting on this topic from now on even if I read information others might want to know because even when I try, I can't seem to please everyone on this board with my choice of words.  My apologies.    

Edited by SLSD

25 minutes ago, SLSD said:

It was just a comment and I know you think it was imprudent.  I am a very cautious person and would not enjoy the uncertainty at the moment.  But, I do agree that SB will make the best of it for their guests.  I did not intend to be judgmental.  I will refrain from posting on this topic from now on even if I read information others might want to know because even when I try, I can't seem to please everyone on this board with my choice of words.  My apologies.    

Unfortunately you have misread my post. It was not you who made the comment on management that I was referring to. In future I will not lump comments on two posts into one.

My comment directed to you was "I am totally ok with your posts".  Please continue to share information you come up with.

As far as the uncertainty of the moment … in my experience, that is what travelling entails!

New itinerary for 15Feb cruise from a passenger onboard the ship now.  NO official work from Seabourn.  Guess we will see.

DEPART

02/15

SAT

SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE

23:00

02/16

Sun

At Sea (South China Sea)

02/17

Mon

At Sea (Gulf of Thailand)

02/18