Jump to content

Norwegian Jade Hong Kong to Singapore Coronavirus


Bevi65
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

 

Anyone cruising on the Jade in the next few weeks and worried about the virus. Seems other cruise lines have cancelled upcoming sailings. All I've read is Norwegian are checking passenger's temperatures on boarding.  As we're sailing from Hong Kong which has claimed "state of emergency" , Am a little surprised Norwegian hasn't released any updates regarding the situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cruise Critic is in constant contact with all major cruise lines regarding coronavirus. We are updating this story as we hear about each cancellation. Please let us know if you hear about NCL or others cancelling before we do!

 

Cruise Lines Cancel China Sailings Following Deadly Coronavirus Outbreak

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/5016/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, CruiseCriticAUeditor said:

Cruise Critic is in constant contact with all major cruise lines regarding coronavirus. We are updating this story as we hear about each cancellation. Please let us know if you hear about NCL or others cancelling before we do!

 

Cruise Lines Cancel China Sailings Following Deadly Coronavirus Outbreak

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/5016/

Yes, will do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vozzie said:

Make sure you continue to monitor the Smart Traveler site to keep up to date with Government Warnings. Traveling to a "warning country" could void your travel insurance.

Smart traveller says "exercise a high degree of caution" for Hong Kong.  What are your ports of call?   Check with the cruise line and your insurer to see whether they will give you a refund on your cruise.  Usually you are entitled to a refund if Smart Traveller says "do not travel".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m schedule to be on the Jade for the 30th and I’ve canceled the sailing just to recover at least the taxes. NCL is unwilling to give me a refund which other cruise lines are doing. This is upsetting. Losing over $1200 because NCL is greedy and doesn’t care about the well being of their customers. I’m not willing to subject myself to the risk of catching the virus. 
 

I hope NCL will come to their senses before 30th and issue refunds. I have lost faith in NCL and will prob no longer consider them for my future cruises. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, RedElmo said:

I’m schedule to be on the Jade for the 30th and I’ve canceled the sailing just to recover at least the taxes. NCL is unwilling to give me a refund which other cruise lines are doing. This is upsetting. Losing over $1200 because NCL is greedy and doesn’t care about the well being of their customers. I’m not willing to subject myself to the risk of catching the virus. 
 

I hope NCL will come to their senses before 30th and issue refunds. I have lost faith in NCL and will prob no longer consider them for my future cruises. 
 

 

It may have been better not to cancel your cruise, so you would be entitled to a full refund if the Government says "Do Not Travel to China".  The situation is changing daily as the number of people in China with the virus increases.

This is very bad public relations for NCL.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

It may have been better not to cancel your cruise, so you would be entitled to a full refund if the Government says "Do Not Travel to China".  The situation is changing daily as the number of people in China with the virus increases.

This is very bad public relations for NCL.  


Ya. It’s hard to say what to do is best. Everything is so uncertain. I’m going to try and claim travel insurance on it. Just upset at NCL. Will not book their cruises in the future. 

Edited by RedElmo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, RedElmo said:

I’m schedule to be on the Jade for the 30th and I’ve canceled the sailing just to recover at least the taxes. NCL is unwilling to give me a refund which other cruise lines are doing. This is upsetting. Losing over $1200 because NCL is greedy and doesn’t care about the well being of their customers. I’m not willing to subject myself to the risk of catching the virus. 
 

I hope NCL will come to their senses before 30th and issue refunds. I have lost faith in NCL and will prob no longer consider them for my future cruises. 
 

 

 

20 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

It may have been better not to cancel your cruise, so you would be entitled to a full refund if the Government says "Do Not Travel to China".  The situation is changing daily as the number of people in China with the virus increases.

This is very bad public relations for NCL.  

We are also going to enquire about cancelling the cruise.  Will start with credit card company first ( automatically insured, when you pay ).  Given the "state of emergency" in Hong Kong, NCL need to make allowances for passengers that are not willing or comfortable to travel given the circumstances.   Depending on how they handle this, it will affect future bookings & sales ( even if its a small percentage)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Bevi65 said:

 

We are also going to enquire about cancelling the cruise.  Will start with credit card company first ( automatically insured, when you pay ).  Given the "state of emergency" in Hong Kong, NCL need to make allowances for passengers that are not willing or comfortable to travel given the circumstances.   Depending on how they handle this, it will affect future bookings & sales ( even if its a small percentage)

I understand this is a difficult time for passengers waiting for the Government to state "Do Not Travel to China/Hong Kong", when you would be entitled to a full refund. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I understand this is a difficult time for passengers waiting for the Government to state "Do Not Travel to China/Hong Kong", when you would be entitled to a full refund. 

 

It certainly is.  Just read that Crystal cruise line will not dock in Hong Kong as planned but are changing it to Taipei.   I wonder if other's will follow suit.  It's all a bit of a mess given that some cruises are not too far off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2020 at 12:48 PM, RedElmo said:

I’m schedule to be on the Jade for the 30th and I’ve canceled the sailing just to recover at least the taxes. NCL is unwilling to give me a refund which other cruise lines are doing. This is upsetting. Losing over $1200 because NCL is greedy and doesn’t care about the well being of their customers. I’m not willing to subject myself to the risk of catching the virus. 
 

I hope NCL will come to their senses before 30th and issue refunds. I have lost faith in NCL and will prob no longer consider them for my future cruises. 
 

 

Maybe, in hindsight you were a bit premature with your cancellation. However, take this up with your insurance ASAP for the refund if its possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, RedElmo said:


did they cancel the sailing?

Not to my knowledge. OP cancelled their booking and was upset that cruiseline didn't fully refund their fare.  Cruiseline will be operating under normal booking conditions. However, another poster alluded if they had held off maybe cruiselines would cancel the sailing and then a full refund might be applicable as it would have been the cruiseline not the passenger changing the terms of the Contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, icat2000 said:

Not to my knowledge. OP cancelled their booking and was upset that cruiseline didn't fully refund their fare.  Cruiseline will be operating under normal booking conditions. However, another poster alluded if they had held off maybe cruiselines would cancel the sailing and then a full refund might be applicable as it would have been the cruiseline not the passenger changing the terms of the Contract.

 

Ah. Well it’s too late now. If you don’t cancel by 1/29 you lose everything. Including the $200USD taxes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RedElmo said:

Would really like to know how many people still went on the cruise. 

Ours is on the 17th . Waiting to hear back from our consultant - we've stated we are more than happy for Norwegian to provide a credit for another cruise down the track.  Face masks and endless health questionnaires is not our idea of a holiday.  Have been following closely, it seems a couple of cruise lines have selected alternate ports to Hong Kong.  Will Norwegian do the same ? Will wait & see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

British Airways is cancelling all flights to mainland China until March.

News

And Lufthansa and JetStar Asia.  Cathay Pacific has also modified it flight schedule and meals service.   I reckon all airlines should follow suit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, RedElmo said:

Jade almost about to sail. Guess no cancelation...

 

THey can always, and probably will, change itinerary as per T & C...   No cruiseline just cancel a sail-date and go no-where... Only exception is ship a break-down.. (eg. A recent cruise we had booked left USA to 3 ports in Cuba... USA Govt clamped down and would not allow.. Ship ultimately sailed a totally different itinerary, and insurance did not cover situation where government caused the problem.)

 

 

Edited by Big Kev
added
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Big Kev said:

 

THey can always, and probably will, change itinerary as per T & C...   No cruiseline just cancel a sail-date and go no-where... Only exception is ship a break-down.. (eg. A recent cruise we had booked left USA to 3 ports in Cuba... USA Govt clamped down and would not allow.. Ship ultimately sailed a totally different itinerary, and insurance did not cover situation where government caused the problem.)

 

3 hours ago, Big Kev said:

 

 

Ah true. But this one originates from Hong Kong so I’m waiting for them to offer free cancelations. I thought There was a few cruises that was canceled that originated from China.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...