Cunard Transatlantic Fly Cruise to New York

Cruiser458

Hello,

I am looking to book a westbound crossing from Southampton to New York with a flight back to Manchester with Cunard.

Which airline does Cunard use?, What airport do they depart from and What time do they usually depart?

Or can you choose your flight?

Thanks

We booked through Cunard and the flight was with Virgin Atlantic.We were also offered an upgrade to premium economy for £190 each which was a great deal.You speak to them on the phone and they go through the options available.It was certainly cheaper than booking our own flights.

Edited by paper tiger
  • Like 1

For UK residents one way flights are very expensive unless you use a charter line. We have always had excellent prices from Cunard (except for the last  one way from Cape Town which is always pricey). They regularly use BA, Virgin, American and Delta. At least 3 of these use Manchester.
If you have booked with an agent you will have to use them to negotiate flights with Cunard.  With long haul we always book direct with Cunard as find this easiest when arranging flights. Have a great deal later this year with Virgin into NY from LHR.

• Like 1

Assuming the OP is from the UK, the return flight will presumably be included in the fare.  A couple of years ago I did the same trip and the return flight was BA but operated by AA (or the other way round).  It left from JFK early evening as I recall, arriving in MAN 7am ish.  The Cunard pick-up from our hotel (in Times Square) was around 2.30 pm.  I paid for a flight upgrade at what I thought was a very reasonable price.

We booked directly with Cunard for eastbound cruise, flying into New York first and spending a couple of days there before cruising. I wanted early flights, to allow maximum time in NY on arrival day, so phoned Cunard about 10/11 months prior to cruise date which is this August, and chose flight times from LHR and was offered upgrade to Premium Economy for £149 per person... too good to refuse! Roll on August 2020 😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Is that true for Aer Lingus (connecting in Ireland)? Booking in the US, an Aer Lingus one-way flight is reasonable.

When did you last book a one-way with them? Reason I ask, I had done a one-way on Aer Lingus several years ago, but when I needed to do it again last year, their one-way fare priced out at a full-fare round-trip, about twice the purchase price of discounted round-trips available for booking on their Web site at the time I was looking.

In the past two to three years, I have been unsuccessful in getting international one-way trips to (or from) the US at anything below full-fare round-trip. I have purchased one-way from Cunard at approximately one-half the round trip fare (completely flexible in timing, airports, and airlines...I had to fly into Dublin two weeks before the crossing to teach a class) and used airline miles for one-ways, but I can't find any one-way international flights that are priced within the bounds of rationality...unless one makes a side trip to Canada for a transatlantic one-way flight.

2 hours ago, ExArkie said:

When did you last book a one-way with them?

I've been looking at options the past couple of months. Aer Lingus one-way has been roughly the same as round trip, correct. But a one-way ticket on other major airlines can be double that airline's round trip fare.

So Aer Lingus might be $500 while an airline like Delta or American would typically be $1200 or higher.

On 1/28/2020 at 11:25 AM, Cruiser458 said:

Hello,

I am looking to book a westbound crossing from Southampton to New York with a flight back to Manchester with Cunard.

Which airline does Cunard use?, What airport do they depart from and What time do they usually depart?

Or can you choose your flight?

Thanks

As previous posters have said, Cunard use Virgin Atlantic, BA,  Delta also known to use Norwegian Air in the past. From London Manchester etc. to JFK. Departing JFK usually around 6pm ish

Although you may have a Virgin Flight it may be code share and be operated by Delta and Visa Versa.

Cunard Air dept are very helpful, they will advise and offer alternatives. Even allowing the you to fly home (or arrive) several days later (earlier) if you wish. Using Cunard Air is cheaper then attempting to purchase a one way flight here in the UK. The Transatlantic price usually includes an airfare to/from London . For Manchester probably  be an extra £90pp . You can always run a dummy booking on their webpage.

Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 17.05.26.png

Edited by Pennbank

Just in case this is of interest/use to anyone....   We have an eastbound TA coming up in December, and have booked one way business class flights on TAP Air Portugal from London to New York via Lisbon for £620pp including taxes - this is with a one night layover in Lisbon so we can have a night out there at the start of our trip.   Cunard knocked £200pp off our cruise price as we didn't want the included economy flight.

1 hour ago, Se1lad said:

Just in case this is of interest/use to anyone....   We have an eastbound TA coming up in December, and have booked one way business class flights on TAP Air Portugal from London to New York via Lisbon for £620pp including taxes - this is with a one night layover in Lisbon so we can have a night out there at the start of our trip.   Cunard knocked £200pp off our cruise price as we didn't want the included economy flight.

Yes I noticed that they sometimes will issue a Credit for the airfare, This case is £200pp for East Bound in Dec 2020. But it is rare. It is best to run a dummy booking on the website to check. Or Phone to confirm or go via a High Street agent.

Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 19.23.52.png

May I humbly make a suggestion, Cruiser458.
Fly out to NYC first, then take the ship eastbound.
You may not find the entry into Southampton quite as glamourous as sailing into NY Harbour (at 5 in the morning!) but I say this because:
1. You will likely have a smoother crossing because you are sailing with the prevailing winds. It makes a huge difference on your ability to enjoy the open decks. If your sailing at 20 knots, with the wind, say at 10 knots, the perceived wind is 10 knots. Sailing west, the perceived wind is 30 knots - three times stronger and not too friendly for all those deck activities Cunard has lined up for you. Remember, the crossing lasts 7 days. As one who has crossed in both directions, I know which one I prefer.
2. You will likely have a smoother crossing because you are sailing with the prevailing currents.
3. You flight out will be a leisurly all daylight flight, so no short night with little sleep.
4. Should you wish, you can fly and embark the same day (though a night or two in NYC is always a good option - and gives you many more flight options).
4. Example: Aer Lingus will get you there in one day, for around £570, with a change in Dublin.

Edited by Canuker
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, fabnfortysomething said:

we have include air back to uk  presently at 9pm from JFK to Heathrow 9pm economy on virgin atlantic

cant see online option to upgrade 

do we have to ring them?

Yes you have to contact Cunard, the option is not available on their website. If using an agent then you go through them.

16 hours ago, Pennbank said:

Yes you have to contact Cunard, the option is not available on their website. If using an agent then you go through them.

thanks

we booked direct with Cunard on their telephone line

I need to ring anyway to check they received the wheelchair assistance forms for my husband

19 hours ago, Canuker said:

May I humbly make a suggestion, Cruiser458.
Fly out to NYC first, then take the ship eastbound.

Just know that the eastbound crossing is 10 hours shorter than the westbound. Whether that's good or bad is up to you.

My two cents-I was on the Jan. 3rd W’bound on QM2. Because of two medical evacuations-one a stop at Halifax and the other by helicopter in a blizzard off Newfoundland we were six hours late into Southampton. I had booked my return air through Cunard-really cheap!-who used BA. I was rebooked on a later flight on BA and Cunard handled the whole thing flawlessly. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. 😊

• Like 5

There is a lot to be said for using Cunard for air travel as part of a booking. 

As they act as an "agent", they have access to more inventory, and availability to make changes to bookings that if requested or made on a separate, self made booking, would/could be very expensive. They also can manage, as stated just above, last minute schedule changes very easily. If you have a booking yourself, and for example you are late into port and miss your flight, then on many types of tickets, which book into lower end fare buckets, you will have to fork out for a new ticket home. 

If I were booking a sailing, followed immediately by a flight, I would always try and work with the cruise line as part of the package, for protection of onward travel. 

One thing I did learn from my years in commercial aviation, is that all the unbundling of travel leads to a lot of stress and hassle for people. But, then again, as long as you book sensibly there should not be many issues. In the main, it is when people are too ambitious with their schedule and book short time periods between connections or arrivals and departures and the likes... 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 11:15 PM, Pennbank said:

rang Cunard today

original flight was Virgin 9pm flight but premium economy fully booked

however they offered us alternative flight on British Airways at same time and £250 pp for upgrade to premium economy or world traveller plus

decided was worth it for chance to actually stand a chance to sleep on overnight flight in more comfortable seat with foot rest

of course if they decided to upgrade us at no extra cost to business class with the lie flat beds I wouldn't object!!!

24 minutes ago, fabnfortysomething said:

...decided was worth it for chance to actually stand a chance to sleep on overnight flight in more comfortable seat with foot rest

of course if they decided to upgrade us at no extra cost to business class with the lie flat beds I wouldn't object!!!

So glad to hear that you got a good result... the latter would be the icing!!

1 hour ago, fabnfortysomething said:

Be careful what you wish for. Some of the Club World seats-- particularly the rear facing ones-- are like little lie flat coffins. Claustrophobic and awkwardly placed. BA does not get high marks for their current biz class seats (although new ones are being rolled out which are supposedly better). 

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Be careful what you wish for. Some of the Club World seats-- particularly the rear facing ones-- are like little lie flat coffins. Claustrophobic and awkwardly placed. BA does not get high marks for their current biz class seats (although new ones are being rolled out which are supposedly better). 

Yeah, I few BA in December and was astonished by those silly seats.  By far worse than AA, DL, VS! (I got a good fare, though)