list your negatives about the summit

luckyinpa

I can't speak to the ship yet, but I have heard many positive things about Summit and am booked for a summer cruise.

My experiences at the NJ port have been with Royal and may not be applicable to Celebrity or the smaller ship.

I will recommend that you arrive early.  There is only one road to the parking and check in area.  It can back up a mile (hour) or more during busy times.  However, the road delays limit the flow of people into check in, so you get through that quickly.

• Like 1

We were on the Summit in August for a one week cruise to Bermuda. I have NO negatives with regards to the ship, service, food, balcony cabin etc. As for the port of Bayonne, this was the third time we sailed out of it and it is excellent. Dropped off luggage with the porters and tipped at the same time, drove to the garage and parked the car. When the garage is full, they will direct you to the overflow parking lots adjacent to the port.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

We were on the Summit in August for a one week cruise to Bermuda. I have NO negatives with regards to the ship, service, food, balcony cabin etc. As for the port of Bayonne, this was the third time we sailed out of it and it is excellent. Dropped off luggage with the porters and tipped at the same time, drove to the garage and parked the car. When the garage is full, they will direct you to the overflow parking lots adjacent to the port.

i just have carryons so no worries about drop off. is there a separate line to drive thru if not drop off?

and prefer to arrive at a time where ill get a spot in the garage. the sweet spot between the others vacating it and new people filling it. if someone knows that 🙂

We had our first two Celebrity cruises in 2019--Equinox in June and Summit in November.  We very much preferred Equinox with the open grand foyer (although as we were just off Team Earth on Deck 7, sometimes we could hear the entertainment in our cabin), World Class bar, Slush Bar, Hollywood Glass, movie theater and Craft Social.  We liked the updated cabins on Summit, and revolutionized dining room, but to us, Summit was kind of blah compared to Equinox.

No negatives concerning the Summit from us. We been on the Summit twice pre revolution and once post revolution (14 night September 2019 cruise). We liked the changes. A major plus is being able to go directly to your stateroom to drop off your carry ons. Same as all post revolution ships. Embarkation and disembarkation (Bayonne) was quick. Doing a B2B cruise on the Summit out of San Juan March/April 2020. Looking forward to that cruise like we do for all our cruises. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, davekathy said:

No negatives concerning the Summit from us. We been on the Summit twice pre revolution and once post revolution (14 night September 2019 cruise). We liked the changes. A major plus is being able to go directly to your stateroom to drop off your carry ons. Same as all post revolution ships. Embarkation and disembarkation (Bayonne) was quick. Doing a B2B cruise on the Summit out of San Juan March/April 2020. Looking forward to that cruise like we do for all our cruises. 

Curious. which Summit B2B cruises you are doing March/April?  Considering  Southern Carribean in March  & trying to decide on San Juan or Florida embarkation.  B2B on Summit from San Juan sounds interesting.

11 minutes ago, erlyvon said:

Curious. which Summit B2B cruises you are doing March/April?  Considering  Southern Carribean in March  & trying to decide on San Juan or Florida embarkation.  B2B on Summit from San Juan sounds interesting.

Two different itineraries. 28 March 2020 (7 nights) and the 4 April 2020 (7 nights). 

Edited by davekathy

I think one of the very few negatives of the Summit is the Tuscan Grille. The location is strange and it's not a very attractive room. Truly nothing special about the atmosphere. 

Edited by lorimay
typo
  • Like 1

We love the Summit. I'd say my two pet peeves are 1) chair hogs in the Solarium that are not addressed along with not enough loungers, and 2) no heated loungers in the spa with a view to the ocean like they have on the S class ships.

I still sail Summit every chance I get. I could go on and on about the positives. 🙂

Looking forward to Summit post rev..Great itin Newport, Bermuda & Charleston... It's a longer cruise so hopefully  no risk of a  charter

We dislike the drive from Suffolk County NY to Bayonne but the itin will be worth it. (limo costs are out of sight)

We have been on the Summit seven times, once after the edgification.  Overall, it is a lovely ship and we very much enjoy it.  Despite the refresh, she is older and is not going to have all of the items you find on the newer ships.  She is also smaller, so I think some of the specialty restaurants are not there, but we generally don't do them.

There are many things to love about the Revolutionized Summit.

IMO there are a couple negatives many of which are being fixed, replaced or ignored.

1.   Originally in Retreat the selection of furniture more for form rather than function.   The munchkin chairs are a good example where they are so small no one can sit in them.   Many cocktail tables are at ankle level instead knee height.   Also the cafe table used for tea are so small you can't fit a pot of tea and 2 tea cups on them.

2.   Removal of the Murano's Style Restaurant replacing with Tuscan Grill

3.  Lack of cocktail or dining tables in rooms. 

4.   The rocking chairs in the SS were a mistake and most have been removed.

5.   The Sky Suites don't have full length mirrors

6.   The mirrors over the desk in many rooms are so high or the chair so low you can't see yourself in the mirror.   A real problem for ladies trying to do makeup and hair.

Would any of these keep me from sailing on her again?   No.

We were on Summit in May and as BIG fans of S-Class ships, we were disappointed in Summit (though we still had a great cruise!). We live in NYC so Bayonne was a quick drive for us and parking at the port was SUPER easy. LOVE LOVE LOVE this port and I wish more lines (and S-class ships) would cruise out of NY/NJ. 

Anyway, as for Summit, we were in a Sky Suite (S2) and I absolutely HATED the room itself - the layout, furniture, bathroom, lighting, outlet placement, etc. were all incredibly poorly designed. DH and I ran into each other more in this room than we ever have in any other room on a cruise. The balcony was very tight and the furniture out there was also terrible. I heard from others that these used to be wonderful rooms so a big miss for Celebrity on this aspect of the revolution.

We disliked the layout of the buffet and really missed World Class Bar and the expansive Sunset bars that are on S-Class (no shade was an issue too). We prefer a wider ship with a central atrium and felt that all of Summit's venues felt a bit cramped and traffic-heavy since you had to walk through venues like Cellar Masters rather than having them set off from the main thoroughfare. The layout and location of Tuscan, Sushi on 5 and Qsine were very unappealing. The smaller ship meant fewer activities and entertainment options and I have to say we got a little bored on sea days. Generally speaking I felt like the changes they have made to Summit are like bad plastic surgery on an 80-year-old face - the sleek, modern, revolutionized spaces just don't work on a ship that was obviously built in a more traditional style.

All of that said, there were some positives as well! I loved the Thalassotherapy pool in the Solarium and the layout of the outdoor pool and hot tub area as well (although the new loungers are a broken toe waiting to happen!). The Retreat and Retreat Lounge were great (despite less-than-ideal furniture and not enough shade). The MDR looked beautiful and Luminae was lovely - food mostly good-to-excellent and fantastic service. However, overall we didn't love Summit and wouldn't choose an M-class ship again unless we were a) in a suite other than an S2 or possibly Aqua Class, and b) on a very port-intensive itinerary. 

• Like 1

Several:

I'm not on her often enough

Agree with Jim; the removal of Normandie and inserting Tuscan was a big downgrade in my mind.

We try to stay away from January or February cruises booked in advance due to chartering

The sunset bar could be improved.

Still, we would sail her most any time.