Travel Insurance

Cruising to Panama Canal, Costa Rica & Columbia and wanted to purchase extra medical & evacuation travel insurance for me and my husband. Does anyone have a specific company and plan that they’ve purchased? We have Medicare and a supplement but want extra coverage while out of the U.S.  Thanks for any advice/information! 

There is a travel insurance forum here on Cruise Critic that has a wealth of information but generally we go to www.insuremytrip.com and after inputting our travel details select a plan that provides the coverage we are looking for at a price that works for us. 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 6:45 PM, shiny1 said:

Cruising to Panama Canal, Costa Rica & Columbia and wanted to purchase extra medical & evacuation travel insurance for me and my husband. Does anyone have a specific company and plan that they’ve purchased? We have Medicare and a supplement but want extra coverage while out of the U.S.  Thanks for any advice/information! 

geoblue

just medical insurance, not cancellation etc.

reasonable in price.  IIRC, we paid about $350 for a years worth of insurance covering multiple cruises.

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

They also offer single trip insurance.  We had two trips booked which we could span with one annual fee.  $350 for two trips total isn't bad.

I can usually insure our trips for about $120 thru www.insuremytrip.com but we tend to take trips that total less than $2000.

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I can usually insure our trips for about $120 thru www.insuremytrip.com but we tend to take trips that total less than $2000.

This is only medical insurance which isn't dependent upon what the cruise costs.  

You really need to compare the coverages between what you purchase and geoblue to make an assessment.

You can get medical insurance only from most companies by listing the cost of the cruise as $0.00.

Personally, I only insure medical.  My credit card covers cancellation up to $10,000 pp.

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

This is only medical insurance which isn't dependent upon what the cruise costs.  

You really need to compare the coverages between what you purchase and geoblue to make an assessment.

You can get medical insurance only from most companies by listing the cost of the cruise as $0.00.

Personally, I only insure medical.  My credit card covers cancellation up to $10,000 pp.

If it's medical only than I would need to take more trips in order to justify the expense. I just priced medical only coverage for another thread and it came in at $80 (one of the providers on insuremytrip.com).

Just now, sparks1093 said:

If it's medical only than I would need to take more trips in order to justify the expense. I just priced medical only coverage for another thread and it came in at $80 (one of the providers on insuremytrip.com).

Depends upon the coverages.  And, the age of the persons purchasing.  My costs wouldn't be comparable to yours.

Very easy to get a quote for comparison, just follow the link.

29 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Depends upon the coverages.  And, the age of the persons purchasing.  My costs wouldn't be comparable to yours.

Very easy to get a quote for comparison, just follow the link.

Yep, $390 for Trekker Choice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

FYI GeoBlue in not available in all states.  When I checked, it was not available for residents of where I live.

One thing is, if you are not worried about cancellation (by you) coverage, the cost of travel insurance is stupidly low.  I typically pay $32 or so for $0 trip cost coverage.  The jumps up to about $50 for $500 cost coverage.

So the annual price quoted above would require 10 trips to pay for itself.

• 7 months later...