GRATUITIES

ROYALBOY

I am asking for opinions. We have never been cheap, we have already prepaid our February cruise gratuities, and we always give extra to our room steward, and restaurant staff. However, it seems like Celebrity is beginning to use these as salary for their staff, instead of what I believe gratuities should be for. I understand that you can avoid the daily debit to your onboard account by speaking with guest services. Do people do that and just pay those who you want to personally? Please don’t beat me up but $400 for a 10 day cruise seems like a lot, since I do not know where most of it is going. Thanks

They have always been a key component of the staff's compensation.

Do some research (search here on CC, many discussions or search the internet) to see where the tips are going.

IIRC, if you remove gratuities, and then tip some staff directly, they are required to turn it in to be pooled among the staff the same as if you paid the general gratuities.  If you tip above the gratuities charged to you, the staff member can keep the additional amount.  If that has changed, I'm not aware.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Here is what X has to say about the gratuities. Personally, I feel with the recent increase that I won't be adding any extra at the end of the cruise unless I have a very specific reason to do so. If my expectations are met, great. If my expectations are exceeded? I'll consider giving more. 

Now we'll both probably get slammed. LOL

Q.

What is Celebrity’s automatic gratuity program?

A.

For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion:

• $15.50 per person, per day in standard accommodations
  • $16.00 per person, per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms
  • $19.00 per person, per day in suites

This gratuity is shared by your stateroom attendant, dining services staff, and housekeeping staff members who help enhance your vacation experience. At your discretion, the gratuity payments may be adjusted onboard at Guest Relations, in which case they will not automatically be added to your onboard SeaPass® account. A 20% gratuity will be automatically added to all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services. Additional gratuities may be added at your discretion.

You could read some of the dozens and dozens of threads about this instead of opening another one, as you are not a newbie here, and so I am not sure why you wouldn’t.  I wily that whatyou believe about cruise gratuities is simply not true.  

the Same can be said about restaurant gratuities in the US  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ROYALBOY said:

Please don’t beat me up but $400 for a 10 day cruise seems like a lot, since I do not know where most of it is going.

The maximum you'd pay would be $190 per person if you have booked a suite. Given the cost of the suite, $190 seems like a pretty paltry sum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The maximum you'd pay would be $190 per person if you have booked a suite. Given the cost of the suite, $190 seems like a pretty paltry sum.

not in the suite league... we are paying 15 per day per person since we booked prior to Jan 6, plus 100 that we give to our cabin steward and wait staff... that’s $400 and not a paltry sum.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ROYALBOY said:

... we are paying 15 per day per person since we booked prior to Jan 6, plus 100 that we give to our cabin steward and wait staff... that’s $400 and not a paltry sum.

Respectfully, the extra $100 you are paying is completely optional - no one is expecting it, so in effect you are pushing the total up and thus, in my opinion, cannot complain about the amount.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I really don't care what someone pays or doesn't pay. I really don't care why some say they give extra and some say they don't give extra. Personal spending habits should remain private and not the subject for public discussion. Tip extra if you wish. Remove tips if you want. Give something extra if you like and give very generously if you can afford. In the end its all up to each individual to decide what they can and want to do.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ROYALBOY said:

I am asking for opinions. We have never been cheap, we have already prepaid our February cruise gratuities, and we always give extra to our room steward, and restaurant staff. However, it seems like Celebrity is beginning to use these as salary for their staff, instead of what I believe gratuities should be for. I understand that you can avoid the daily debit to your onboard account by speaking with guest services. Do people do that and just pay those who you want to personally? Please don’t beat me up but $400 for a 10 day cruise seems like a lot, since I do not know where most of it is going. Thanks

Please provide your source for this claim. Or just a WAG? I could care less what the cruise lines pay their employees. That's the contract between the employee and Celebrity. We don't prepay gratuities unless it's one of the bundled perks we select. Other than that we pay with the OBC (daily deduction) we select as one of our bundled perks. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

$15 a PPPD seems fair to me, seeing as they distribute the money to frontline and behind the scenes workers.  

I tip my room steward extra because I ask for extra things, like ice etc....always upfront and I always get good service.  

Cruise on.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ROYALBOY said:

I am asking for opinions.

The Cruise Line now adds the gratuities on to the cost of the trip in the form of a perk-- It's no perk. Just look at the price differences. The reason for the automatic add-on is because too many Guests were " stiffing " the Staff--  Not fair ! 

Also, the automatic daily gratuity is split many ways , including to Staff that you might not have service from ( bar staff--non-drinkers as example ). 

A Sr Manager told me :

If you give your Room Steward a tip -- He keeps it for himself. 

If you give a tip in a Specialty restaurant , it goes into a pool for that restaurant. 

If you opt out of the automatic daily tip, the Staff will know. 

For me, I'd rather get off the cruise feeling good about giving a few extra tips than feeling guilty for not treating someone the way they deserved to be treated after the excellent service we received .  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, ROYALBOY said:

not in the suite league... we are paying 15 per day per person since we booked prior to Jan 6, plus 100 that we give to our cabin steward and wait staff... that’s $400 and not a paltry sum.

So its actually 300 that is auto, the extra hundred you share with wait/room is your choice.  Tipping is personal do what you feel right.  Everyone has different criteria etc.  i mentioned before I worked in the hospitality industry, and have friends who work on ships.  I look at it this way.  If the staff did not like how they were being paid, they wouldnt come back.  I have met staff who has worked many years in the rest and housekeeping areas on board celebrity.  They keep re upping there contracts, think about why they do that.  The tipping that is automatic is just that remove it if you want.  Your choice no one elses

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

The Cruise Line now adds the gratuities on to the cost of the trip in the form of a perk-- It's no perk. Just look at the price differences. The reason for the automatic add-on is because too many Guests were " stiffing " the Staff--  Not fair ! 

Also, the automatic daily gratuity is split many ways , including to Staff that you might not have service from ( bar staff--non-drinkers as example ). 

A Sr Manager told me :

If you give a tip in a Specialty restaurant , it goes into a pool for that restaurant. 

For me, I'd rather get off the cruise feeling good about giving a few extra tips than feeling guilty for not treating someone the way they deserved to be treated after the excellent service we received .  

Are the staff also made aware if you have pre - paid the tips upfront? There will be no deduction from our account but we have paid and I would  not want staff thinking otherwise.

Do you not think the people that wash your dishes, sheets and towels, or stock the bars, or do the kitchen prep, or clean the public restrooms, deserve anything?  Because if you remove the gratuities, you will be hurting those crew members.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Eglesbrech said:

Are the staff also made aware if you have pre - paid the tips upfront? There will be no deduction from our account but we have paid and I would  not want staff thinking otherwise.

Yes, the Staff are aware of it-- including the Servers in Select dining. That's why we are usually seated in the same area with the same Servers.   

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Yep suites are $19 per night so sounds about right.

4 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Yes, the Staff are aware of it-- including the Servers in Select dining. That's why we are usually seated in the same area with the same Servers.   

Thanks for the information. Tipping is not a major thing at home but I like follow the conventions when on ships (or when in a country where it is the normal practice).

• Thanks 1

MEcruzer, why would you expect to get slammed posting you pay the set gratuities but may not tip more? That’s pretty standard for most. And those who do add more, usually don’t mention it, unless specifically asked in a forum such as this, because its none of anyone else’s business. 

For the OP, you are already well aware of how tipping is handled and is a major part of many businesses and worker’s income here in the US, and in more and more places. Since gratuities have been a part of Celebrity as with most other larger cruise lines, and the increase is relatively small, this thread doesn’t track too well. 

I suggest you pay the set gratuity and if you think its getting out of hand, don’t tip beyond as you say you’ve been doing.....or if you are looking for an excuse quit paying the set gratuites and ripoff your service personnel, do it but I strongly suggest you do not mention what you are doing to anyone else. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

A Sr Manager told me :

This is not totally true.

If you tip your waiter and/or Asst waiter in a specialty restaurant in cash, it goes to them and only them.  If you add it on the bill, it is pooled.

I rarely tip extra. However, I would never remove the set gratuity. It is shared among many people who make a cruise pleasant even while working behind the scenes. And if you remove the daily gratuity and then tip an individual, that person has to turn it in to the general pool anyway.

So, if someone is exceptional and you feel you are already paying enough, write a detailed letter praising them, both during and after the cruise .

Also, if service in a certain area is lacking....speak to management, don't remove tips to punish one person...you are really punishing many.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Phxazzcruisers said:

This is not totally true.

If you tip your waiter and/or Asst waiter in a specialty restaurant in cash, it goes to them and only them.  If you add it on the bill, it is pooled.

Not what we we told on several occasions.  If you add it to the bill it goes into the General pool fund. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

If you add it to the bill it goes into the General pool fund. 

Exactly what @Phxazzcruisers said. However, in your OP, you said that "If you give a tip in a Specialty restaurant , it goes into a pool for that restaurant," which isn't completely accurate. If you add it to the bill, it is pooled, but if it is paid cash directly to the server, he or she gets to keep it.

31 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Not what we we told on several occasions.  If you add it to the bill it goes into the General pool fund. 

We have been on over 50 cruises with Celebrity.  I do not mean to argue, but we clarified this with management a servers long ago and most recently.  I do not think we are diagreeing i think  uou read my post incorrectly.  If you add a tip on the bill it is pooled, of you pay in cash, however, to the server, it is his/hers to keep.