59 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

MEcruzer, why would you expect to get slammed posting you pay the set gratuities but may not tip more? That’s pretty standard for most.  

Den... because gratuity discussion ALWAYS brings out strong opinions. 

I think the amount of tip someone in the US thinks is appropriate also depends on what part of the US they come from.  We live in an area where 18-20% is normal for dinner. On our recent January sailing we ate in Select Dining and had the same wait staff and wine steward the entire 10 nights. In addition to the automatic tipping (which was one of our perks) we tipped extra in cash to our waiter, ass't waiter and wine steward for their detailed attention to service.   Same applies to the additional tip we gave our room steward.  They all assured me they did not have to share the tips. I strongly feel they are extremely grateful to have this  extra cash to supplement the money the majority of the crew sends home to support their families.  

I'm sure there will be comments following this post by CC members who don't think this is necessary but, we strongly feel if we can afford the cruise, the people who make it so enjoyable are entitled to a little extra. 

So, just to be clear, gratuiies are not really “tips” or extras but the majority of the staffs income. Many people, some behind the scenes, rely on them. Sure, tip your dining room attendant, but what about the personnel in the buffet? The prepaid grats is the system everyone, cruiser AND  staff expect.
I figure standard grats covers the standard services. If my stateroom attendant delivers breakfast or ices down our sail away champagne 🍾, well thats extra, so tip a little extra. 
It works for us and the staff, keep it simple.

6 hours ago, Pinboy said:

The Cruise Line now adds the gratuities on to the cost of the trip in the form of a perk...

Not true for US bookings. I didn't realize that bookings made in Canada added the grauties to the price of the cruise (?).  You can book a Celebrity cruise without selecting the gratuity bundled perk or any of the other bundled perks. You don't have to prepay gratuities either.  If you have any Celebrity OBC then the gratuities are deducted daily. If you don't have any OBC than your onboard account is charged the gratuities daily. 

Edited by davekathy
1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Not true for US bookings

Not true for Canadian bookings either. We have the same options as the US. Pre pay, accept grats as one of the perks (when offered), or pay the auto grats through one's on board account. That poster apparently doesn't understand how the various options work.

Edited by mom says
6 hours ago, mom says said:

Not true for Canadian bookings either. We have the same options as the US. Pre pay, accept grats as one of the perks (when offered), or pay the auto grats through one's on board account. That poster apparently doesn't understand how the various options work.

Canada, US - all the same. We are all part of North America although not everyone knows that.

9 hours ago, mom says said:

Not true --- What the Poster means is when you select a "perk " it's not free-- The guest is paying for it somewhere .

12 minutes ago, agibeault said:

Is it customary to leave a tip for the room steward, and is it the same person all week? Should you leave it at the end of the week or daily?

It's up to you whether to leave an extra gratuity.  We started leaving extra once we realized how little of the daily gratuity goes to the cabin steward, because we felt for the service provided, he deserved more.  It's not necessary, but it's appreciated, as is a mention by name on your cruise survey.

We go to guest services and use the form to provide extra gratuities because we usually have OBC, but you can give them cash.  Again, it's completely your decision if you leave anything extra  🙂 

23 minutes ago, hiccups said:

It's up to you whether to leave an extra gratuity.  We started leaving extra once we realized how little of the daily gratuity goes to the cabin steward, because we felt for the service provided, he deserved more.  It's not necessary, but it's appreciated, as is a mention by name on your cruise survey.

We go to guest services and use the form to provide extra gratuities because we usually have OBC, but you can give them cash.  Again, it's completely your decision if you leave anything extra  🙂 

Thanks! I'm travelling with a teen so I should definitely tip extra lol

25 minutes ago, agibeault said:

Is it customary to leave a tip for the room steward, and is it the same person all week? Should you leave it at the end of the week or daily?

Oui, the same room steward all cruise.  

We usually tip on the last night of the cruise, directly to the person and thank them for their excellent service and that we will mention them on our survey comments.  We have never " stiffed " our room steward or servers.

Throughout the cruise we talk to them and treat them like human beings , unlike some people they tell us about ( demanding, entitled , etc ) .   

45 minutes ago, agibeault said:

To answer the second part of your question, room stewards are normally assigned for the duration of your cruise. Most passengers who leave a tip do so at the end of the cruise, not daily.

Just now, Fouremco said:

To answer the second part of your question, room stewards are normally assigned for the duration of your cruise. Most passengers who leave a tip do so at the end of the cruise, not daily.

Some don't leave a tip. That's why the Cruise Lines got involved to help their Staff get rewarded for the excellent service we are provided. 

They now offer the option of the gratuity as a " perk " , add it on ahead of time when you book, or deduct it from you OBC. 

3 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Canada, US - all the same. We are all part of North America although not everyone knows that.

10 hours ago, mom says said:

Thanks. That's what I thought as I've never read any poster from Candida claiming that gratuities were built into the cruise fare.  

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

Not true --- What the Poster means is when you select a "perk " it's not free-- The guest is paying for it somewhere .

Swing and a miss. The OP never mentioned anything about the gratuity as a perk. He said "prepaid" gratuities and Celebrity doesn't automatically add that to the booking. You don't know what the OP means or meant to say. Your statement of  "The Cruise Line now adds the gratuities on to the cost of the trip in the form of a perk"... is inaccurate for at least US and Canada bookings. I will agree with you that adding any bundled perk to a booking will increase the cost of the booking. Nothing is free. Just as refundable deposit will raise the price of a booking compared to a non refundable deposit. 

Edited by davekathy
3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Swing and a miss. The OP never mentioned anything about the gratuity as a perk. You don't know what the OP means or meant to say. Your statement of  "The Cruise Line now adds the gratuities on to the cost of the trip in the form of a perk"... is inaccurate for at least US and Canada bookings. I will agree with you that adding any bundled perk to a booking will increase the cost of the booking. Nothing is free. Just as refundable deposit will raise the price of a booking compared to a non refundable deposit. 

" Nothing is free " ---- except maybe in  "Candida " .

1 hour ago, agibeault said:

Are you asking about an additional tip?  Celebrity will charge you onboard account the gratuity (daily) for the stateroom attendant and the waitstaff. The amount is $15.50 pppd for inside, oceanview and standard balcony staterooms. Same stateroom attendant for your entire cruise. 

Edited by davekathy
4 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

" Nothing is free " ---- except maybe in  "Candida " .

I'll take that hit. I must have stuttered. 😛 Even though CC requests we don't correct others grammar and spelling and post can be removed for doing so.  

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Are you asking about an additional tip?  Celebrity will charge you onboard account the per person gratuity daily for the stateroom attendant and the waitstaff. The amount is $15.50 pppd for inside, oceanview and standard balcony staterooms. 

Yes additional. Just wondering if that is the norm (when I go to an all-inclusive I always do but gratuities aren't charged automatically like cruises).

Just now, davekathy said:

I'll take that hit. I must have stuttered. 😛 Even though CC requests we don't correct others grammar and spelling and post can be removed for doing so.  

Holy Cow-- I still got a lot to lern about  this posting stuff 

3 minutes ago, agibeault said:

Yes additional. Just wondering if that is the norm (when I go to an all-inclusive I always do but gratuities aren't charged automatically like cruises).

That is a personal preference. If you feel someone has gone above and beyond with their service. 

Edited by davekathy
37 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Some don't leave a tip. That's why the Cruise Lines got involved to help their Staff get rewarded for the excellent service we are provided. 

They now offer the option of the gratuity as a " perk " , add it on ahead of time when you book, or deduct it from you OBC. 

I fail to see the relevance of your post. The person to whom I was responding was asking when it would be best to leave an additional tip, not why or how to pay Celebrity's automatic gratuity.