Symphony Hong Kong - Singapore 15 February 20

1 minute ago, gaspari said:

Has anyone heard  from Crystal what the options will be for us in respect of the rumoured change of embarkation port from Hong Kong?

It's no longer a rumor. The Symphony will dock at Keelung, Taiwan, the port for Taipei on February 15. Haven't you heard anything from your travel agent or directly from Crystal? The passengers on the previous cruise have already heard. Any costs for changing your flights will be submitted to Crystal for consideration. 

Patty

Also don't forget to submit claims for trip interruption to your travel insurance carrier. Our trip interruption clause will cover up to $50,000 so we'll be submitting a claim for the prepaid hotel nights in Hong Kong. Fortunately our flight changes were made at no cost per the Delta waiver and we've booked a nonstop TPE-LAX flight.

I’m booked on this and Crystal isn’t being reasonable with offering a even a credit for this cruise.
We will wait and see but all these stops on the cruise has known cases for Coronavirus.   And what is actually opened to see?  I don’t call wearing a masking for the flight and entire trip a vacation.   With all the other cruise lines cancelling and giving refunds, why wouldn’t Crystal do the same?

Edited by lc1484
Added more and spelling corrections
5 minutes ago, lc1484 said:

I’m booked on this and Crystal isn’t being reasonable with offering a even a credit for this cruise.
We will wait and see but all these stops on the cruise has known cases for Coronavirus.   And what is actually opened to see?  I don’t call wearing a masking for the flight and entire trip a vacation.   With all the other cruise lines cancelling and giving refunds, why wouldn’t Crystal do the same?

That is what travel insurance is for! Also, if you would  read your cruise info, it says that Crystal is under no obligation to reimburse for lost ports due to anything out of their control ie weather, terrorism etc 

1 minute ago, lc1484 said:

We will wait and see but all these stops on the cruise has known cases. 

Better not go to Seattle, Los Angeles, Orange County, Phoenix or Chicago.  Each have had "known cases".

Hong Kong is a prudent change, given its proximity to the PRC.  Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore -- all have less risk than HKG.

Then again, if you are THAT risk adverse, you probably should not have booked this cruise in the first place.  Staying home is almost always a "safer" alternative than travel.

You do have comprehensive travel insurance, correct?  And you did choose to get coverage to protect you in such a case, correct?  In that case, it would not really matter what Crystal does.

1 minute ago, lc1484 said:

I booked this last year and had every intention of going.  But I’m not traveling anywhere to Asia at all now. I didn’t purchase the insurance because of that.  I already got my airfare refunded.  

You had every intention of traveling.  So because of that, you didn't purchase any insurance.

I rest my case.

21 minutes ago, lc1484 said:

I booked this last year and had every intention of going.  But I’m not traveling anywhere to Asia at all now. I didn’t purchase the insurance because of that.  I already got my airfare refunded.  

This is precisely one of th ereasons you should buy travel 9nsurance-illness,acts of God,change of mind-->cancel for any reason is really worth it .. I'm just sayng .I hope you can get the ret of your money back(?) bt of course will be out of the goodness of the business's heart, and by no means are they obliged to do so(as you  know)

Edited by wearesiamese

Many folks (including us) self-insure (I.e. do not purchase a third-party policy). We then assume all risks and are self responsible for the financial results. We would never assume compensation from any vendor, hotel, airline or cruise line for a travel decision that we make on our own.

The CC member noted above self-insured and assumed the risks when making that initial decision.

Rob

Edited by ryndam
11 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

It's no longer a rumor. The Symphony will dock at Keelung, Taiwan, the port for Taipei on February 15. Haven't you heard anything from your travel agent or directly from Crystal? The passengers on the previous cruise have already heard. Any costs for changing your flights will be submitted to Crystal for consideration. 

Patty

The reason I posted is neither I nor my travel agent had received any information from Crystal.

I have received an email from Crystal this morning, and am shocked and disappointed that there is no option to cancel or change this cruise, as a change of embarkation port to a different country miles away, that BA don’t even fly to, coupled with the revised itinerary is hardly an insignificant change. We have £5000 of non refundable, non changeable  Hong Kong flights from London. Our comprehensive travel insurance will not pick up the tab, as whilst there is a UK advisory against mainland China, this does not extend to Hong Kong.

26 minutes ago, gaspari said:

The reason I posted is neither I nor my travel agent had received any information from Crystal.

I have received an email from Crystal this morning, and am shocked and disappointed that there is no option to cancel or change this cruise, as a change of embarkation port to a different country miles away, that BA don’t even fly to, coupled with the revised itinerary is hardly an insignificant change. We have £5000 of non refundable, non changeable  Hong Kong flights from London. Our comprehensive travel insurance will not pick up the tab, as whilst there is a UK advisory against mainland China, this does not extend to Hong Kong.

BA codeshares with Cathay Pacific.  The flight from HK to Taipei is about 2 hours.  Sure there will be a slight upcharge, but don't let that ruin your planned cruise.  If you travel, you know stuff happens.  Do you use the https://matrix.itasoftware.com site to find flights that work?  Work with a great TA and you will find a routing that works.  Crystal may be reimbursing you for additional costs; I'm not sure.  I assume you are flying in a day or so early to allow for these blips, as "wise men say, only fools rush in".  You've got time to work it out.  Look for options, because once onboard, you will enjoyl

We booked this cruise as part of a package from a local TA.

I found out about the changed itinerary as a result of following Ryndam’s post (he is currently on board)

My TA contacted her parent company (who had heard nothing) then directly onto Crystal Australia, who at that time did not appear to be in the know either.

It took a couple of days to sort out, but because of a proactive TA and a reportedly very pleasant and cooperative Crystal rep, we are now booked to fly Hong Kong to Taipei on the morning of the cruise (we were given the option of staying in Taipei instead of Hong Kong if we preferred)
Crystal assured the TA that the flight cost will be reimbursed.

I am most impressed so far.

Thank you for some positive suggestions on how we move forward in this unfortunate and quickly evolving situation. No need to be sarcastic FlyerTalk if you have nothing meaningful to contribute. None of us planned for this.

1 hour ago, gaspari said:

Thank you for some positive suggestions on how we move forward in this unfortunate and quickly evolving situation. No need to be sarcastic FlyerTalk if you have nothing meaningful to contribute. None of us planned for this.

I do not know whether Flyer Talk was being sarcastic.  But I do wonder about the comprehensiveness of the travel insurance you purchased if it does not cover the contingency of the cruise being changed in such a significant way that it would cause you monetary harm.  My question is:

Is your comprehensive travel insurance  typical of all comprehensive policies?

Is the fine print in these policies designed to make them appear comprehensive but to actually be worthless as in your situation?

When the cost of comprehensive travel insurance is often 10% of the cost of the cruise itself this is no small matter.

I ask you because you now have very practical experience with the insurance.

8 hours ago, gaspari said:

What I was pointing out is that your "comprehensive" insurance really isn't.  And it is the due diligence of the purchaser that is necessary - not just relying on a sales term of "comprehensive".  For you.  For everyone.  Do not assume.  Double check yourself that what you are buying covers what you expect in terms of coverage.

As for the "none of us planned for this" -- sorry, but one should ALWAYS plan for the the unexpected.  You need to make risk tolerance decisions and have at least some degree of loss mitigation in hand.  To completely expect that everything will go exactly as planned, all the time, is folly.  And for your information, BA is making waivers available for changes to their services.  One can still get from the UK to Taiwan - perhaps by another carrier/routing.  Having the proper insurance would mitigate any financial losses.

Caveat emptor.

17 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

What I was pointing out is that your "comprehensive" insurance really isn't.  And it is the due diligence of the purchaser that is necessary - not just relying on a sales term of "comprehensive".  For you.  For everyone.  Do not assume.  Double check yourself that what you are buying covers what you expect in terms of coverage.

As for the "none of us planned for this" -- sorry, but one should ALWAYS plan for the the unexpected.  You need to make risk tolerance decisions and have at least some degree of loss mitigation in hand.  To completely expect that everything will go exactly as planned, all the time, is folly.  And for your information, BA is making waivers available for changes to their services.  One can still get from the UK to Taiwan - perhaps by another carrier/routing.  Having the proper insurance would mitigate any financial losses.

Caveat emptor.

I do not know what insurance you purchase, but 90% of the normal plans available do not include a clause that covers such situations.  Even the plan Crystal offers does not provide reimbursement for this as a covered reason.  Only if you get a cancel for any reason clause you are SOL..

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

I do not know what insurance you purchase, but 90% of the normal plans available do not include a clause that covers such situations.  Even the plan Crystal offers does not provide reimbursement for this as a covered reason.  Only if you get a cancel for any reason clause you are SOL..

Yes you are right PaulMCO, certainly in respect of the UK. Our policy which is a typical and highly rated comprehensive one within the UK does not. We have not been stupid or naive, it is all just very unfortunate.

Also Cancel for Any Reason is not an insurance I had ever heard of, as it does not feature within Britain. We are hoping the UK’s stronger consumer legislation may come to our assistance

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 5:58 PM, traveldayz said:

We booked this cruise as part of a package from a local TA.

I found out about the changed itinerary as a result of following Ryndam’s post (he is currently on board)

My TA contacted her parent company (who had heard nothing) then directly onto Crystal Australia, who at that time did not appear to be in the know either.

It took a couple of days to sort out, but because of a proactive TA and a reportedly very pleasant and cooperative Crystal rep, we are now booked to fly Hong Kong to Taipei on the morning of the cruise (we were given the option of staying in Taipei instead of Hong Kong if we preferred)
Crystal assured the TA that the flight cost will be reimbursed.

I am most impressed so far.

Update on my previous post.

Not so happy now.

Crystal has backed out of this, and changed the compensation to a 50% FCC instead.

At the time of the change, there was no such offer on the table, so the decision of whether or not to continue with the cruise was not based on the 50%/100% FCC.

Because the port change was decided by Crystal and not a port closure at that time, the change in air travel is not covered by insurance.

1 hour ago, gaspari said:

Things have moved on (just a bit!) since I posted. We certainly could not board if we had transited through HK now.

Hi, we too are in Great Britain and I have just noticed your post.  
I had not heard of ‘Cancel for any Reason’ either. 
We are booked for 16 days on Serenity from 22nd May, but only in Europe, which seems a long way off but no one knows when this disruption will end.   
I am prompted to check the terms of our Cruise cover Insurance again and hope it is as it appears. 
I hope you have been able to satisfactorily adjust your plans for your imminent cruise.  From what I have read , Symphony is heading for Singapore. 
Ann. 

Thank you. We have unfortunately had to cancel, but I am sure you will be fine in Europe by the time May comes. We have certainly learnt the substantial limitations of regular UK insurance for this set of circumstances.

It is kind of you to reply.  The decision to cancel so close to your cruise cannot have been easy. Sorry this has happened and hopefully you will be able to decide on another option. 
 Just before the final payment last June, we had to cancel a cruise booked for the following September because of a health issue. 

Crystal held our deposit and we re-booked for May this year.  After the health issue was resolved,  we sneaked in a week last October - again on Serenity.
A different situation, unexpected but fortunately easily resolved. 
I shall continue to follow the current blogs with great interest.

Ann.