Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
champagneandbotox

Questions for Recent Eclipse/Hawaii Cruisers! 1st Time to Celebrity from NCL!

Hello friends!

I'm on the verge of booking the April 12-20 Hawaii cruise on Eclipse - and what stood out to me was the itinerary, I simply adore sea days. As someone connected 24/7/365 my favourite part of the cruise experience is getting away from it all!

To date my previous 2 cruises have been on NCL - both to Bermuda, on Breakaway ('15) and Escape ('18). I personally preferred the Breakaway and while I quite enjoyed NCL, I'm seeking something a bit more elevated and to try another line...so Celebrity was naturally a great fit!

That said, as much as I'd love to cruise on the Edge or Apex (this is my first time on Celebrity, coming from NCL) I'd love to know if recent Eclipse cruisers (I know she's due for a refurb early next year) would recommend the ship and could comment a bit on the condition of things?

A few areas I'd love any opinions or insight on, both as they pertain to the Eclipse and the Celebrity experience overall:

• I understand that "flexible" dining seats every 30 minutes. I prefer to dine at a solo table where possible, not sure if this would be accommodated?
  • Perhaps my favourite sea day activity is enjoying the spa facilities and a heated lounger. Aside from AquaClass guests, are "spa passes" offered?
  • I believe most cruise lines don't - but I'm also a fan of afternoon tea. Does the ship offer this on any day(s)?
  • How did you find the value of the beverage package? I'm comparing it to the UBC on Norwegian.
  • For those who have done Celebrity to Hawaii - any excursions (from the line or otherwise) you'd advocate for or suggest skipping?

Thanks so much for the insights. I hope to see some of you on board 🙂

Kind regards,

Adam

21 minutes ago, champagneandbotox said:
  • I understand that "flexible" dining seats every 30 minutes. I prefer to dine at a solo table where possible, not sure if this would be accommodated?
  • Perhaps my favourite sea day activity is enjoying the spa facilities and a heated lounger. Aside from AquaClass guests, are "spa passes" offered?
  • I believe most cruise lines don't - but I'm also a fan of afternoon tea. Does the ship offer this on any day(s)?
  • How did you find the value of the beverage package? I'm comparing it to the UBC on Norwegian.
  • For those who have done Celebrity to Hawaii - any excursions (from the line or otherwise) you'd advocate for or suggest skipping?

My husband and  cruised on the Eclipse from Vancouver to Hawaii last April. It wasn’t a wonderful cruise! The ship was in great condition, the staff are excellent and I liked it so much that I booked an Alaska sailing on Eclipse with my mom a few months later. I would sail on Eclipse again in a heartbeat.

If you choose select dining, you can ask for a table for one, and I am sure the maître’d would accommodate you,

On both cruises I purchased passes to the Persian Garden at the spa. I believe it was $199 for two (sorry, can’t remember the exact amount). It was lovely to have the heated loungers to help my sore back. And there’s is nothing quite like watching a whale breach from that viewpoint!

I didn’t notice anything about afternoon tea. 

For the Hawaii cruise, my husband and I had the beverage package as a perk. It was wonderful, and very convenient. The sommelier at dinner was very attentive and suggested some lovely wines. I doubt I would pay for a beverage package (sailing on edge next week without one) as we just don’t drink enough to justify the cost.

One of the best excursions we have ever done on Celebrity (or any line, really) was the home and food tour. I don’t know the exact name of the tour, but it is a small group tour that goes to four local homes and eats a progressive brunch as the tour goes along. It was fun, informative, the food was delicious, and the architecture of the homes was stunning. One home was on a ten acre tropical garden with a huge number of palm trees.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I’d be happy to answer them if I can.

Edited by CruiserMickey

We were on the Eclipse in Oct/Nov  R/T Hawaii and the ship is in excellent condition.  In fact we will be back on her in September.

With Select Dining (Celebrity's name for flexible dining) you can make reservations pre cruise - time slots are in 30 increments but you can also just go to the dining room when you are ready and you will be seated.  Should there be a short wait you will be given a pager.  You can get a table for one.

You can purchase a pass to the Persian Garden if not in Aqua, they are limited so if interested go to the spa shortly after you board.  We usually book Aqua so I cant help with pricing.

We usually select the beverage package as a booking perk but have purchased it on a few cruises.  Its value is determined by what beverages (alcohol and non alcohol) that you prefer.  You can go without the package for a few days and then determine if the package would be a good deal for you. You can buy it for the remainder of the cruise on a pro-rated basis.

We prefer Celebrity and Princess but have enjoyed our NCL cruises. Just be aware going in that Celebrity cruisers generally follow the evening's dress code. It's not at all like NCL, where anything goes except for a couple of the fancier restaurants. Celebrity doesn't have formal nights anymore, instead they have Evening Chic where people dress up a little more, but no suits or even sport coats required. Other nights are Smart Casual, where ladies might wear capris or sun dress or nice jeans, men would wear khakis or nice jeans with a polo or (on your itinerary) a Hawaiian shirt. No shorts in the evening, except in the buffet. I only mention this so you'll be prepared --- dress isn't as fancy as it used to be, but most everyone does "clean Up" for dinner.