Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
fstuff1

Bridge and engine room are in condition Red! (Breakaway, Jan 2020)

Recommended Posts

W t f? 

I'm currently onboard.

No additional info has been given, yet.

 

IMG_20200129_170228210.jpg

IMG_20200129_170235659.jpg

Edited by fstuff1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

W t f? 

I'm currently onboard.

No additional info has been given, yet.

 

IMG_20200129_170228210.jpg

IMG_20200129_170235659.jpg

Wait, what??? "Condition RED" ?? I sure hope that this is just a test for your sake and mine, we board this coming Saturday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This occurred several times on our sailing January 11 to 22. It's just a test.

 

(the above picture was taken of the big screen in the atrium)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Paul Bogle said:

This occurred several times on our sailing January 11 to 22. It's just a test.

And you how did you come to know "it's just a test"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Condition red on NCL ships means the ship is entering or leaving port, and the bridge and engine rooms are busy with the  business of maneuvering the ship, so calls to either for other than emergencies are prohibited.  It also means that opening the watertight doors in the crew areas is prohibited, so the crew needs to go up and down the stairs up to the I-95 deck, rather than opening the doors.

Edited by chengkp75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

And you how did you come to know "it's just a test"?

 

read the preceding sentence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chengkp75 said:

Condition red on NCL ships means the ship is entering or leaving port, and the bridge and engine rooms are busy with the  business of maneuvering the ship, so calls to either for other than emergencies are prohibited.

Thank you for letting us know. I knew you could explain it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Paul Bogle said:

 

read the preceding sentence.

So it occurred several times during your cruise.  What does that have to do with the question I asked which is how you came to know it's just a test?

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

So it occurred several times during your cruise.  What does that have to do with the question I asked which is how you came to know it's just a test?

  

As mentioned above, it is standard operating procedure at every port. It isn't something that they test. Had the trivia game continued long enough, a notification regarding condition green would have been broadcast. Its a communication intended for crew. Nothing to be concerned about, although I could see how the pop-up could create unnecessary concern for passengers during a trivia game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Nothing to be concerned about, although I could see how the pop-up could create unnecessary concern for passengers during a trivia game.

Perhaps one of the trivia questions should be "What does condition red mean on this ship?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul Bogle said:

This occurred several times on our sailing January 11 to 22. It's just a test.

 

(the above picture was taken of the big screen in the atrium)

So obviously it isn't a test and it's an actual code that means something to staff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Perhaps one of the trivia questions should be "What does condition red mean on this ship?"

Love it!! 👍👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So your in the atrium and this comes up on the screen.

Instead of asking the plentiful staff in the atrium, instead of walking over to guest services or even wondering why there is not mass hysteria......

I know....... let's take a picture and put a post on Cruise Critic, someone must know.

 

Good job there was no internet on the Titanic, there would be no survivors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

So it occurred several times during your cruise.  What does that have to do with the question I asked which is how you came to know it's just a test?

  

I am also currently on the Breakaway. Stayed on board today in Costa Maya & they were announcing all morning they were doing tests for the staff & to ignore all the announcements. It's all mandatory stuff they have to do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now the question why have that pop-up with the "RED" condition posted on TV monitors and screens

in public areas of the ship -  Ignore that man behind the curtain - the YELLOW brick road (I95) is RED !

 

I would venture that there are a lot of things going on that are never noticed and attention called to like getting underway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Now the question why have that pop-up with the "RED" condition posted on TV monitors and screens

in public areas of the ship -  Ignore that man behind the curtain - the YELLOW brick road (I95) is RED !

 

I would venture that there are a lot of things going on that are never noticed and attention called to like getting underway.

 

The cruise staff use their work laptops to run the trivia. The popups are pushed out to the crew to alert them of bridge status. The laptop screen is duplicated to the large screen in the atrium. That is the only way passengers see the alerts. They aren't displayed publicly throughout the ship. I agree, lots of behind the scenes activities that are not relevant to the guests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Condition red on NCL ships means the ship is entering or leaving port, and the bridge and engine rooms are busy with the  business of maneuvering the ship, so calls to either for other than emergencies are prohibited.  It also means that opening the watertight doors in the crew areas is prohibited, so the crew needs to go up and down the stairs up to the I-95 deck, rather than opening the doors.

Thanks!  Makes sense!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blcruising said:

The cruise staff use their work laptops to run the trivia ... popups are pushed out to the crew ... screen is duplicated to the large screen in the atrium ... passengers see the alerts. They aren't displayed publicly throughout the ship ... not relevant to the guests.

 

This !!  Breakaway, like other NCL ships, has multi WiFi SSiD running on its inTRAnet bands, both visible ones and hidden wireless signals.  You can "spot" them on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz band.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JoeTec said:

I am also currently on the Breakaway. Stayed on board today in Costa Maya & they were announcing all morning they were doing tests for the staff & to ignore all the announcements. It's all mandatory stuff they have to do

Yes, they do staff drills weekly, on port days so lots of people aren’t aware that they happened.

 

It doesn’t mean that everything is a test though. From the comments here it is quite clear that the pictures in the OPs post were not a test, but valid crew notifications being shown on the big screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw someone mention above the correct answer. Red means they are approaching or departing a port. Red begins hours before the ship even gets to the port, and can last a few hours after departure. Nothing to worry about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, romalley99 said:

I saw someone mention above the correct answer. Red means they are approaching or departing a port. Red begins hours before the ship even gets to the port, and can last a few hours after departure. Nothing to worry about.

Not really.  Code red will be called shortly before the pilot arrives and be canceled shortly after he departs.  Now, if you mean hours before "docking", then this can be the case for ports like NYC, Baltimore, and NOLA, where the arrival/departure maneuver lasts hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The content on the big screen is powered by a crew connected laptop/tablet when they are displaying that type of content.  What you are seeing is the broadcast notification sent to the crew mobile devices.  Since the big screen is nothing but a mirror of the laptop screen the message would pop up until dismissed on the owner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...