PCC's??

CruisingAndDiving

I recall playing around in the Holland America site and updating my areas of interest.  Out of the blue I received an automated email introducing me to my PCC.  (I had been on a number of HAL cruises prior to that and had never had one... that I was aware of.)

That email came in a timely manner as I was about to book another cruise and decided to give him a call.  Best move I ever made because he was excellent.  

Apparently getting a good PCC is the luck of the draw. After a significant number of HAL cruise, finally made 4*. Have never booked direct with any cruise line as I felt I might do better overall price/benefits wise. Over a week ago decided to at least give the PCC a try. Spoke to a man whose name I’ve seen mentioned here. Very nice. We spoke for a bit and he promised to forward me his contact information. End of story. Never followed thru as promised. Will continue to book with one of the large resellers. 
I may not get the VERY best price but get a very good one. 

Edited by jimmy2x

1 hour ago, jimmy2x said:

Apparently getting a good PCC is the luck of the draw. After a significant number of HAL cruise, finally made 4*. Have never booked direct with any cruise line as I felt I might do better overall price/benefits wise. Over a week ago decided to at least give the PCC a try. Spoke to a man whose name I’ve seen mentioned here. Very nice. We spoke for a bit and he promised to forward me his contact information. End of story. Never followed thru as promised. Will continue to book with one of the large resellers. 

Okay, I have to ask.... GoodFellas?

11 hours ago, jimmy2x said:

PCC cannot compete with TA on price.  The price from  my TA beats the PCC everytime.  Not even close.

Edited by RocketMan275

5 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

PCC cannot compete with TA on price.  The price from  my TA beats the PCC everytime.  Not even close.

Agree.  We save at least 7-10% on every HAL booking and sometimes a lot more.  But an even greater motivation for not using our PCC is that we cruise on many different lines (i.e.  4 in the past year).  Having an excellent cruise agent means I can use her for just about any cruise.  A single phone call or e-mail might involve multiple cruises and lines.

And some would argue that the best reason to use a good agent is that they work for you, not the cruise line.  So, for example, if I call my cruise agent about booking an Asian itinerary on HAL, she might tell me that she just spotted an even better itinerary and deal on Seabourn.  Our favorite agent handles dozens of bookings every day (on 2 dozen cruise and river cruise companies ) and her feedback from other customers is invaluable.

Hank

If I had wanted to use a TA I would have.  However let me explain here:

I did check with 3 TA's (or their appropriate sites) and none of them had any extra deal, or savings for the cruise I was looking at.

I won't use online cruise resellers as they just don't have the experience to deal with possible issues that could come up.

My previous TA (and very dear friend) had an ECC rating with CLIA, and there are very few out there that could have matched her experience and expertise.  So until such time as I run across someone that has such a rating and experience, I'll book where I get the best value, be it direct or with a TA that can show me the experience or have a value add to the cruise I want to take.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Agree.  We save at least 7-10% on every HAL booking and sometimes a lot more.  But an even greater motivation for not using our PCC is that we cruise on many different lines (i.e.  4 in the past year).  Having an excellent cruise agent means I can use her for just about any cruise.  A single phone call or e-mail might involve multiple cruises and lines.

And some would argue that the best reason to use a good agent is that they work for you, not the cruise line.  So, for example, if I call my cruise agent about booking an Asian itinerary on HAL, she might tell me that she just spotted an even better itinerary and deal on Seabourn.  Our favorite agent handles dozens of bookings every day (on 2 dozen cruise and river cruise companies ) and her feedback from other customers is invaluable.

Hank

Not often mentioned but here's another advantage to using a TA. Several years ago I had two cruises booked on two cruise lines.  I decided to cancel and book those cruises on two different lines.  If I'd booked direct, I would have to make four phone calls.  I made one call to my TA, spent maybe 10 minutes on the line, cancelled both cruises and booked the two new cruises.  And, a 8 to 10% discount as well.

1 hour ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

If I had wanted to use a TA I would have.  However let me explain here:

I did check with 3 TA's (or their appropriate sites) and none of them had any extra deal, or savings for the cruise I was looking at.

I won't use online cruise resellers as they just don't have the experience to deal with possible issues that could come up.

My previous TA (and very dear friend) had an ECC rating with CLIA, and there are very few out there that could have matched her experience and expertise.  So until such time as I run across someone that has such a rating and experience, I'll book where I get the best value, be it direct or with a TA that can show me the experience or have a value add to the cruise I want to take.

Internet based TAs can’t openly advertise their discounts or offers.  You must email or phone them to get their incentives.  I average a 10-12% cash discount with my TA.  I have checked with a number of PCCs for at least three lines and none can match or even get close to my TA.

Edited by Randyk47

7 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

Internet based TAs can’t openly advertise their discounts or offers.  You must email or phone them to get their incentives.  I average a 10-12% cash discount with my TA.  I have checked with a number of PCCs for at least three lines and none can match or even get close to my TA.

So then are you saying that my statement above is incorrect??

7 minutes ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

So then are you saying that my statement above is incorrect??

Not really.  You said you checked with three TAs or their appropriate website and none of them showed an extra deal or savings.  I was just adding that Internet TAs can’t openly advertise specific discounts or incentives.

2 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

Not really.  You said you checked with three TAs or their appropriate website and none of them showed an extra deal or savings.  I was just adding that Internet TAs can’t openly advertise specific discounts or incentives.

To add to RandyK’s post - you need to email them or call and ask for a quote.  Then, you find out what they will offer.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

I find it all very amusing that there are those here that assume I have no idea how all this works.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

I find it all very amusing that there are those here that assume I have no idea how all this works.

Maybe you do but others may not so I thought it was okay to mention so as to not paint an incomplete picture.  Sorry you took it personally it certainly wasn’t intended that way.  

58 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

I would just echo the above post.  The agencies are often prevented from advertising the best deals....per agreement with their consortium and the cruise lines.  To get the special pricing and/or additional OBCs one must often be registered with the cruise agency.  This is usually free and is just a matter of registering your e-mail via an online form.  In some cases there can even be better deals via a phone call.

Hank

• Thanks 1

Point taken.... next time I make a post about my booking experience I shall be sure to include a detailed timeline of who I talked to, how I contacted them and the results of of the response since there are several who seem to feel I'm not being accurate when i say I found the best deal by booking direct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

Point taken.... next time I make a post about my booking experience I shall be sure to include a detailed timeline of who I talked to, how I contacted them and the results of of the response since there are several who seem to feel I'm not being accurate when i say I found the best deal by booking direct.

No doubt  you did contact multiple travel agents.  No doubt none of those you checked could/would beat booking direct.   I, too, have contact multiple travel agents that will only quote the direct booking price.  I've thanked them for their time and moved on.  That said, many of us have found TA who will beat direct booking.  It depends upon which TA you contact and how you contact them.  Better luck next time.

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2020 at 5:09 PM, CruisingAndDiving said:

Not all travel/cruise agents have the same deals.  I have no doubt that you found your best deals by booking direct.  The fact that many others found far better deals by NOT booking direct simply means you did not discover the best agencies.  So we can continue to disagree on our booking strategies and you can continue to be satisfied paying more money.  Have no fear because you are in good company. 

When we shop for any cruise we compare at least 3 of our favorite agencies with the best deal we can get by booking direct with the cruise line.  Our savings on HAL bookings are sometimes in the thousands of dollars because we book through various agencies.  In fact, when we were  booking one particular cruise our PCC called us to seek our booking.  When we told her the deal we could get elsewhere she admitted that she could not come close to matching that deal...but suggested we still book direct with her and then transfer the booking to the cruise agency.  She did not have a good answer when I asked why I should go through all those steps when I could simply book with the cruise agency with a few clicks of the mouse.

We do understand that many folks feel more comfortable booking with their PCC.  Since we are CCL Stockholders we are pleased that many folks are willing to pay more for their cruise.  It just contributes to the bottom line :).  

Hank 

• Thanks 1

We get straight goods from our TA.  Not to mention a better price on what we consider to be a commodity item.  

Not so certain that an employee of the cruise line would be so forthcoming as to recommend strongly against one of their ships based on customer feedback or indeed advise of of a better offer on a different ship/cruise line, similar or identical itinerary.

Edited by iancal

8 hours ago, iancal said:

We get straight goods from our TA.  Not to mention a better price on what we consider to be a commodity item.  

Not so certain that an employee of the cruise line would be so forthcoming as to recommend strongly against one of their ships based on customer feedback or indeed advise of of a better offer on a different ship/cruise line, similar or identical itinerary.

I believe there are two factors involved with those who prefer direct bookings.  

First, some are suspicious of travel agents thinking the agents are out to rip them off.  Ok, but if you're afraid of travel agents then you should have the same fear about direct bookings.

Second, CC makes it as difficult as possible to share travel agents names.  Oh, I hear CC explanations, but CC allows certain agencies to advertise here.  Makes one wonder if the CC prohibition protects a profitable business for CC?  If we could share names, then more would understand the savings involved.

• Like 1

While it would be nice to share agencies and travel agents I understand that Cruise Critic is also a business.  I wouldn’t run a restaurant and let people bring in their own food.  I am a member of another forum that allows individuals to talk about their specific agents by name and make referrals.  The downside is there have been a few “verbal food fights” about my agent is better than yours that have gotten pretty nasty.  While the forum doesn’t allow agents to actively pursue and attract customers it also has been pretty obvious when an agent has tried under the guise of “helping out”.   On the whole I think the CC policy is better with only a slight downside.

Edited by Randyk47

Don’t need to pay the highest price, don’t need a new best friend, and dealing with a so called personal cruise consultant does not make us  feel special or stroke our respective egos.

Nor do we need the false sense of security with the perception that somehow we will have more control by dealing with a PCC (we actually feel the opposite).

Price and delivery/service is what cuts it with us.

Edited by iancal
  • Thanks 1