Are you afraid of the coronavirus in your next cruise?

librarygal

Early this morning I was reading about a number of Filipino crew (on DP)  that were infected along with a smaller number of Indian personnel. It is not hard to see how this spread quickly...food handling, cleaning... any personal services rendered had potential to transmit the virus.

7 hours ago, K32682 said:

It was a very successful quarantine if the objective was to contain the virus in one place and not have it spread to Japan.  The Japanese authorities were quite successful in protecting Japanese civilians at the expense of the hapless cruisers and crew on the boat. 

Who knows if they kept it on the ship even. I just saw a report that the health workers weren’t even using proper precautions and leaving the ship and going to their regular jobs after. This has not fully played out yet.... Just wait and see. They had no idea what they were dealing with.

17 hours ago, Christine13020 said:

Day one I said it was crazy to try and quarantine on the ship... There even was a crew member preparing or serving meals that came down with it. No wonder, the crew was all crammed together in the bottom of the ship! Probably many caught it from the crew. In no way was that a real quarantine. They (eg Japanese government, cruise company) did not have the passengers safety in mind or they would have handled it differently. Hopefully everybody learned from this botched experiment. 

The top priority in a quarantine is not the safety of the people being quarantined, it is preventing the spread outside the quarantine area.  The safety of the quarantined people is secondary to stopping the spread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/17/2020 at 8:35 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I never cancelled a cruise because of Zika.In fact,I did not even use insect repellant.

But you also weren't pregnant, likely to become pregnant, or likely to infect a pregnant woman.  We had a friend contract Zika on a mission trip and it wasn't pleasant but she was fine.  The main concern was for the devastating birth defects it could cause.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pseudoware said:

Final pymt due in less than 2 weeks for a June cruise.  Flights booked.  Strongly considering cancelling and vacationing on land.

We  will be in the same position in June when our final payment is due.  But we have the luxury of more time than you do.  I can't really offer anything other than it is a tough call.  I would probably opt towards whatever I felt most comfortable with and not look back.    

1 minute ago, That sinking feeling said:

Just get on that cruise. Worrying about what you cant control is pointless.

So is doing something that will cause worry.  We will all have a different viewpoint I guess.   

Just now, That sinking feeling said:

Isn't that a self fulfilling prophecy?

Well, if making a decision to avoid something that might cause stress in favor of something I will enjoy, then I guess so.    

3 minutes ago, That sinking feeling said:

Except you made it sound like not making the decision was stressful.

Huh? All I said is it is a tough call.  You know, commiserating with the person considering whether to take a cruise or land trip. I understand you would take the cruise because you do not care about things you cannot control.  Others may have different preferences in this situation.   

We just got cancelled out from the Sapphire Princess . We were not worried about the corona-virus . We were concerned about everything else . Flying over to a cancelled cruise or a cruise that went nowhere as all ports were cancelled. Being on a cruise where people were annoyed that the cruise was not cancelled . A cruise where the "precautions" taken killed the fun of the cruise itself . Annoyed that we kept having to defend our choice not to cancel before we were cancelled . 

In short it was everything aside from this over hyped disease that made us uptight . So no we are not afraid of covid 19 .

18 minutes ago, richstowe said:

In short it was everything aside from this over hyped disease that made us uptight . So no we are not afraid of covid 19 .

Good for you.  And if you're young and fit you probably do have nothing to fear from COVID-19.

But it's certainly not over-hyped - you've obviously not noticed its impact already inside and outside China, supply shortages, rate of spread, impact on the old and/or infirm.

Color me concerned!  I put off booking a cruise in October from Tahiti.  Right now the risk in that area may be nil, but.....things change, and other than meet minimum spend for a bonus on a new points based credit card, there is no rush.  Cruise ships are viral incubators.  Novo-virus, while a problem, is not usually lethal or require hospitalization.  Corona-virus is some where around 1 and 2 Percent fatal.  Perhaps more important is that while 80% experience mild symptoms, 20 percent experience more severe symptoms.  I haven't seen any published figures yet, but what if 10% required hospitalization?  We need better information to make better educated decisions.  

1 hour ago, That sinking feeling said:

It's very easy for someone out side of the usa to think going there is too dangerous because of all the tv reported gun tragedies.

Or going to the uk because of the tv reported knife crime.

All tragic in their own right but shouldn't stop any of us living and enjoying life.

People in general have a horrendous ignorance of probability.

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Good for you.  And if you're young and fit you probably do have nothing to fear from COVID-19.

But it's certainly not over-hyped - you've obviously not noticed its impact already inside and outside China, supply shortages, rate of spread, impact on the old and/or infirm.

11 deaths outside of China, where government secrecy and denial were the worst possible reaction and contributed to it getting out of hand THERE, is over-hyped, IMO.  I'm pretty confident of 2 things.  1) the rest of the world has been and will continue to be, much better at containment than China has been, and 2) by the end of April it will fade out.

No chance I would cancel my upcoming cruise this November.

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

It is the ultimate medical boogeyman . It has the mortality rate about that of the flu at 1% . How many cruises have been cancelled because of the flu ? Nothing but fear mongering BUT incredible , amazing monumental fear mongering . It's impact is due to this unwarranted fear . You and the vast majority of the world share this fear . 

15 minutes ago, richstowe said:

It is the ultimate medical boogeyman . It has the mortality rate about that of the flu at 1% . How many cruises have been cancelled because of the flu ? Nothing but fear mongering BUT incredible , amazing monumental fear mongering . It's impact is due to this unwarranted fear . You and the vast majority of the world share this fear . 

1  Large numbers of vulnerable individuals across various continents have been given the flu vaccine, which substantially lessens the risks attached to flu.

2  There is no such vaccine for COVID-19 and it will be quite a while coming.

3  The mortality rate for flu is around 0.1% - and for COVID-19 probably around 2%.  Around 20 times higher than flu.

4  I put more faith in the World Health Organisation and statistics than I do in you.  Probably most people feel the same way.  But if you like to stick your head in the sand, that's entirely your prerogative.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

1  Large numbers of vulnerable individuals across various continents have been given the flu vaccine, which substantially lessens the risks attached to flu.

2  There is no such vaccine for COVID-19 and it will be quite a while coming.

3  The mortality rate for flu is around 0.1% - and for COVID-19 probably around 2%.  Around 20 times higher than flu.

4  I put more faith in the World Health Organisation and statistics than I do in you.  Probably most people feel the same way.  But if you like to stick your head in the sand, that's entirely your prerogative.

"Until recently, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimated the annual mortality burden of influenza to be 250 000 to 500 000 all-cause deaths globally; however, a 2017 study indicated a substantially higher mortality burden, at 290 000-650 000 influenza-associated deaths from respiratory causes alone

'https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6815659/

While estimates of case-fatality (CF) rates for past influenza pandemics have ranged from about 0.1% (1957 and 1968 pandemics) to 20% (1918 pandemic)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_mortality_from_H5N1

Be free to be chicken little .