PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

8 hours ago, chipmaster said:

What do you base the 0.3%?  I agree it ain't 2-3, you simply saying that 90% of the people get it and don't get tested or realize they have it.   Given the world wide press, hard to believe anyone with a fever / cough ain't seeking testing, and the larger limitation is the testing capability.

Regardless it is clear the transmission is very easy so even 0.3 on a huge world population is simply both tragic and going to be devastating

Yes thats what i'm suggesting that many people won't ever be tested given that many people who were positive reported few symptoms. 

• Like 1

So a teacher in Chicago who was on the Grand has now tested positive so that’s not good.  Of the 21 now on the ship that have tested positive 19 are crew. So it seems mad to me that the passengers are confined to their cabin being served food that is cooked and served up by the crew.  Not the crew’s fault if they have the virus btw.

• Like 1

So originally I heard all crew and passengers on the Grand would be disembarked is a non-commercial (Navy?) port, tested and anyone infected would be put in quarantine. I just heard on CNN that now the crew will NOT be allowed off when the passengers are. I don't know if this is because of Visa issues or the US feels the crew can take care of themselves? And what about American crew onboard? Entertainers, cruise staff, etc??? Way too many questions and not nearly enough answers from those in charge...or who are at least SUPPOSED to be in charge. My heart goes out to everyone on that ship tonight having been passenger and crew.

• Like 1

It appears, at least in the US, that Princess is the only major cruise line that is getting massive negative publicity because of the coronavirus.  With these 11 people testing positive on the Grand (2 guests and 9 crew) Princess should be investigating its viability in the future.  Will it even be able to survive the gigantic blemish that it has received, through what appears to be no fault of their own?  The whole cruise industry is taking a HIT, but Princess may be the only one to SINK.  It may be time for them to start drastic measures to assure their existence in the future.   Lets face it, who would book a Princess cruise NOW.

Maybe they should cancel all cruises for the next 30 or 60 days (fleet wide) and announce that they are sending all crew home.  Those who pass the physical exam when the cruises resume will be allowed to return to their positions.  They could spend that time showing that a decontamination company (not Princess) is deep cleaning all of their vessels to assure a safe cruising experience for their guests. 

I think it is time for Princess to do something drastic to regain the public's confidence in them, or get ready to sink.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

They don't need a deep cleaning if they leave the ship empty for 14 days because the virus will die without a biological viable host. People have short memories and Princess will survive. Remember the poop ship Carnival? It's doing just fine. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, cruising deacon said:

Maybe they should cancel all cruises for the next 30 or 60 days (fleet wide) and announce that they are sending all crew home.

Send them home to spread the virus!?

Not take in a single dime for 60 days!?

Where did you go to school!?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

What’s happened on the 2 Princess ships to now is nothing. Impaired on how bad it will be in the future. I think cruising is done for until there is a cure or the virus goes away. 

they are have to start taking ships out of service as the operating costs will be too much with no passengers or the extremely reduced rates they will have to charge to get people to go. 

I have not lost confidence in Princess.  I do not believe that Princess will fail to do what is right and so far they have done a great job of taking care of passengers and crew and dealing with  the press corps.  Your post is inflammatory and only encourages more of the same. Princess will not fail as a cruise line.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

Great example of hyperbole!

Doug -  thank you for the succinct response.  I was trying to formulate a more specific response but elaborating on each overstatement (and inaccuracy) would have taken too long.☺️

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, cruising deacon said:

It appears, at least in the US, that Princess is the only major cruise line that is getting massive negative publicity because of the coronavirus.  With these 11 people testing positive on the Grand (2 guests and 9 crew) Princess should be investigating its viability in the future.  Will it even be able to survive the gigantic blemish that it has received, through what appears to be no fault of their own?  The whole cruise industry is taking a HIT, but Princess may be the only one to SINK.  It may be time for them to start drastic measures to assure their existence in the future.   Lets face it, who would book a Princess cruise NOW.

Maybe they should cancel all cruises for the next 30 or 60 days (fleet wide) and announce that they are sending all crew home.  Those who pass the physical exam when the cruises resume will be allowed to return to their positions.  They could spend that time showing that a decontamination company (not Princess) is deep cleaning all of their vessels to assure a safe cruising experience for their guests. 

I think it is time for Princess to do something drastic to regain the public's confidence in them, or get ready to sink.

I agree with your assessment and I am sure the market is going to speak to Princess and other cruise lines quickly just as the world's stock exchanges are speaking.....we are  canceling all of our Princess cruises and going in other directions for the rest of this year......why get on a Princess ship or any ship, be scared to death of anyone coughing and catching COVID-19, being held at sea or a port for who know how many days in your cabin if COVID-19 appears and then being quarantined for 14 days or more on top of it.....does not sound like a fun-filled vacation to me.....I know people say it is no worse then the flu but 50% of Americans do not get the flu shot and that is why so many die....there appears to be no shot for COVID-19 as of today.....happy sailing to the rest of you fearless warriors.....

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Brad1185 said:

What’s happened on the 2 Princess ships to now is nothing. Impaired on how bad it will be in the future. I think cruising is done for until there is a cure or the virus goes away. 

they are have to start taking ships out of service as the operating costs will be too much with no passengers or the extremely reduced rates they will have to charge to get people to go. 

We have a number of friends who are canceling all of their upcoming sailings.....it is just the beginning as you noted if nothing is found to contain and stop the spread of COVID-19 world wide....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

We have a number of friends who are canceling all of their upcoming sailings.....it is just the beginning as you noted if nothing is found to contain and stop the spread of COVID-19 world wide....

Do they cancel during any flu season?

I'm not worried about travel itself, just the panic whipped up by the media causing knee jerk reactions that may interfere with our plans.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

54 minutes ago, cruising deacon said:

Lets face it, who would book a Princess cruise NOW.

I would.  If I had the time, I wouldn't hesitate to hop on any available cruise right now - including Princess.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Do not get quarantined for having flu or cold.....I wish people would quit using this simplistic analogy because 50% of Americans do not get the yearly  flu shot and that is what make it deadly.......

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I'm not worried about travel itself, just the panic whipped up by the media causing knee jerk reactions that may interfere with our plans.

Totally agree.  My thoughts are despite all of the hysterics and containment measures going on right now, there is a good chance I might catch this thing.  Even with the skewed stats, I currently have a 97 - 98% chance of survival and not much different than the seasonal flu and I'm 69 , but in good health.

And then if it does turn out to be the next plague, I don't think anyone is prepared for that and we are doomed, so I think I'll just continue cruising  while I can.

• Like 15

We are as a matter of fact, booked on a Princess cruise out of Los Angeles at the end of March. A few have been spooked by the negative social media, but most have not abandoned Princess. We will of course, use common sense when it comes to hand washing, hand sanitizer, Shaking hands, etc.   

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

They don't need a deep cleaning if they leave the ship empty for 14 days because the virus will die without a biological viable host. People have short memories and Princess will survive. Remember the poop ship Carnival? It's doing just fine. 

Sorry, but that is nonsense.   A virus is never 'alive' and can be kept viable indefinitely in the right circumstances, which basically means keeping from it from drying out it and away from sunlight.    In practical terms, how long enough of the virus can remain on any particular surface over time to infect somebody who contacts that surface, or if that is even a viable route of transmission, is still a matter of urgent research.   The "14 day rule" that we are coming up with is because the average incubation time "seems" to be five days, and researchers are pretty confident that anybody who has been exposed will show symptoms well before 14 days are up.   (There are exceptions.)   It has nothing to do with how long the virus survives on a surface, or in waste (for example.)

We are in such early days for this disease that there is really very little that we can say for sure.

• Like 7

If it wasn't for morons scaremongering, there wouldn't BE a problem!

All cruise ships are floating petri dishes, but if people followed a few basic rules of cleanliness, there is little to worry about. Sure, be careful and watch what happens before you take food in the buffet, but remember, not everyone who sneezes is Typhoid Mary!

If people (and media) used some common sense - both sailing and, more importantly, reporting and/or posting on forums, this whole thing is a relative non-event!

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, mek said:

Totally agree.  My thoughts are despite all of the hysterics and containment measures going on right now, there is a good chance I might catch this thing.  Even with the skewed stats, I currently have a 97 - 98% chance of survival and not much different than the seasonal flu and I'm 69 , but in good health.

And then if it does turn out to be the next plague, I don't think anyone is prepared for that and we are doomed, so I think I'll just continue cruising  while I can.

Just in the interests of accuracy, death rate by age.   For the 'flu in your case it is %.06.

• Like 2