Jump to content

PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS


Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, caribill said:

a) People in the same cabin do not have to stay 3 feet from each other

b) They have been told not to wear gloves, but to wash hands thoroughly before going on deck and upon return to cabin.

There were quite a few un-linked people passing each other well within the 3 feet look at the jogging ones and how close some of the others passing each other get.  If I was out taking my air time I would be very annoyed with others coming closer than the 3 feet rule.  Looks like too many out at once to make the 3 feet rule stay easily maintained.  The only other way would have been to assign a piece of deck to each cabin - time-shared and cleaned between each owner

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kendon said:

Yes, imagine just sitting in your stateroom all day waiting for the next "bomb"

to drop.  

 

It's like sitting in jail or prison waiting for the grim reaper to show up.  That's how I'm viewing this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband and I are scheduled to leave out of Fort Lauderdale on Sky Princess Feb 22...less than two weeks from now.  We have the insurance policy that lets us cancel for any reason, and includes our Princess air, for a future cruise credit.  Being that our ship hasn’t been to China and is staying in the Caribbean, we don’t think there’s anything to fear from Coronavirus.  If you were us, would you just go ahead, all smiles and fun, or cancel for a future cruise credit in an abundance of caution?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, barbaraanne said:

My husband and I are scheduled to leave out of Fort Lauderdale on Sky Princess Feb 22...less than two weeks from now.  We have the insurance policy that lets us cancel for any reason, and includes our Princess air, for a future cruise credit.  Being that our ship hasn’t been to China and is staying in the Caribbean, we don’t think there’s anything to fear from Coronavirus.  If you were us, would you just go ahead, all smiles and fun, or cancel for a future cruise credit in an abundance of caution?

As of today, I would go. I would be more worried about norovirus or the flu. Who knows what will happen in the next 2 weeks. I would just stay alert and re-evaluate next week.

Edited by Coral
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posing another question. Many of us are carriers of many awful diseases with no symptoms. Meningococcal is one of those. There isnt a vaccine for all strains. Yet no testing is ever done on anyone yet anyone who develops the illness will possibly die or lose limbs. People can be carriers of this illness with no symptoms. Are they sick or just a carrier then? And how long are they carriers? Maybe always? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, barbaraanne said:

My husband and I are scheduled to leave out of Fort Lauderdale on Sky Princess Feb 22...less than two weeks from now.  We have the insurance policy that lets us cancel for any reason, and includes our Princess air, for a future cruise credit.  Being that our ship hasn’t been to China and is staying in the Caribbean, we don’t think there’s anything to fear from Coronavirus.  If you were us, would you just go ahead, all smiles and fun, or cancel for a future cruise credit in an abundance of caution?

 

I'd go.  I just had a friend disembark yesterday  and she had a great time ... didn't notice any concerns about an epidemic.  Honestly, I think I'd be more concerned with plane travel than being on a ship in the Caribbean right about now.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were recently on this cruise. There were a large number of Asian passengers. Where they were from, China, Japan, US,  I have no clue. I also noticed more crew members from China on this cruise, including 1 who told us he had "just arrived for his first contract".

 

If I were going to embark during this current outbreak I would ask the corporate office if passengers (or crew) who have traveled through China or Hong Kong in the past 2 weeks are going to be allowed to board the ship in LA. With that information you would be better able to evaluate the potential risk and make the best decision for you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, barbaraanne said:

My husband and I are scheduled to leave out of Fort Lauderdale on Sky Princess Feb 22...less than two weeks from now.  We have the insurance policy that lets us cancel for any reason, and includes our Princess air, for a future cruise credit.  Being that our ship hasn’t been to China and is staying in the Caribbean, we don’t think there’s anything to fear from Coronavirus.  If you were us, would you just go ahead, all smiles and fun, or cancel for a future cruise credit in an abundance of caution?

We are on the Sky in 6 days, and have no hesitations about this trip. We are going and plan on having a fabulous time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

 

So you guys think that the ship is going to quarantine people with a virus which could potentially move through the air on a ship with a recirculating HVAC system? As if they don't know any better? As if you two are the only ones who thought of the HVAC system circulating the virus? C'mon man.

 

As for arm chair experts... @chengkp75 is no arm chair expert, and I've previously tagged him and asked for his input on the post by @bluesea321. I am sure he will respond when he is able. (There were no facts in that post. Only that RCCL made some changes and that Princess was collecting data. No facts about Diamond.)

i'll ask is @chengkp75 currently on a PRINCESS cruise ship with the current technology , or how long has it been ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, barbaraanne said:

My husband and I are scheduled to leave out of Fort Lauderdale on Sky Princess Feb 22...less than two weeks from now.  We have the insurance policy that lets us cancel for any reason, and includes our Princess air, for a future cruise credit.  Being that our ship hasn’t been to China and is staying in the Caribbean, we don’t think there’s anything to fear from Coronavirus.  If you were us, would you just go ahead, all smiles and fun, or cancel for a future cruise credit in an abundance of caution?

We are going on our cruise which departs Adelaide 12th February, only you can decide, however we are the same our ship has not been near Asia.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Posing another question. Many of us are carriers of many awful diseases with no symptoms. Meningococcal is one of those. There isnt a vaccine for all strains. Yet no testing is ever done on anyone yet anyone who develops the illness will possibly die or lose limbs. People can be carriers of this illness with no symptoms. Are they sick or just a carrier then? And how long are they carriers? Maybe always? 

I don't believe that it is a Typhoid Mary type of virus.  I'm no expert, but like SARs and other coronaviruses, it will have to run its course.  This is why they are quarantining people to prevent the spread.  I think it's too late to stop it.

 

Don't click on the video below if dead bodies bother you.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CH_ca said:

I have limited knowledge on how drains work on cruise ships. If anyone knows more please chime in.  Does anyone know if the floor drains in stateroom bathrooms could be a potential danger? I've seen posts complaining about odours in stateroom bathrooms and others suggested pouring a glass of water into the floor drain and the odour stopped....

 

Not sure about drains on cruise ships in particular but google "p trap" in regards to basic plumbing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, nbist said:

We were recently on this cruise. There were a large number of Asian passengers. Where they were from, China, Japan, US,  I have no clue. I also noticed more crew members from China on this cruise, including 1 who told us he had "just arrived for his first contract".

 

If I were going to embark during this current outbreak I would ask the corporate office if passengers (or crew) who have traveled through China or Hong Kong in the past 2 weeks are going to be allowed to board the ship in LA. With that information you would be better able to evaluate the potential risk and make the best decision for you. 

 Oh great! We were just getting settled about going on this ......

 

I do believe I heard that all people from Asia, or having been to China, Hong Kong, etc the last 15 to 30 days are either being refused boarding, or receive extra health screening. Can anyone confirm this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, elliair said:

What is the most puzzling is that there have been no reports on the testing of animal samples collected in any epicenters in Wuhan, especially at the Huanan seafood market, to identify what animals might be the host or intermediate hosts of this novel Wuhan coronavirus.

 

An Animal Origin of the Virus

 

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/mysterious-origin-wuhan-coronavirus

 

 

Any evidence of the coronavirus source was destroyed when the local government shut the wet market down and hosed the place down with disinfectant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, elliair said:

I don't believe that it is a Typhoid Mary type of virus.  I'm no expert, but like SARs and other coronaviruses, it will have to run its course.  This is why they are quarantining people to prevent the spread.  I think it's too late to stop it.

 

Don't click on the video below if dead bodies bother you.

 


 

 

 


There was a similar picture of someone who had died in the streets but it turned out he was a well known drunk. How do we know this person didn’t just faint? I wanted to remove the video from this post but I couldn’t delete it. 
 

I do agree it’s too late to stop it and all we can do is isolate and try limit it but it has a while to go yet. 

Edited by Pushka
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

While China, um, puts public order ahead of free speech in a rather brutal way sometimes, I don't really think that they could have stopped the outbreak given the characteristics of this particular virus.   A virus outbreak like this is inevitable in the human population (that is evolution), scientists have known this for a long time and the script was written as soon as the Wright brothers left the ground.    While there may still be time to stop this one, there will be another one and Murphy's law says that it will happen at the worst possible time.   (Happening on Chinese New Year when 1 billion people are on the move, and at a time when the largest superpower has been taken over by an anti-science virus is as close to the worst possible time as I want to see.)

 

That is why we have organized society, that is why we have science, and that is why we have taxes.    There are experts out there who think about this stuff a lot and we really don't have much choice but to follow their advice and give them whatever support that we can.   We must hang together or we will all hang separately.   Time to forget about nationalism for this one and focus on solving the problem, we can get back to hating each other once the crisis is over.

No hate. Just owning up would do. WHO is asking for $675M to fight this coronavirus. Please tell China to send a check. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

 

So you guys think that the ship is going to quarantine people with a virus which could potentially move through the air on a ship with a recirculating HVAC system? As if they don't know any better? As if you two are the only ones who thought of the HVAC system circulating the virus? C'mon man.

 

As for arm chair experts... @chengkp75 is no arm chair expert, and I've previously tagged him and asked for his input on the post by @bluesea321. I am sure he will respond when he is able. (There were no facts in that post. Only that RCCL made some changes and that Princess was collecting data. No facts about Diamond.)


Again, you assumed whoever making the decision on the ship to know exactly how this virus can spread.  Even the CDC doesn’t know.  Just a few days ago, they didn’t know the virus can survive up to 9 days at room temp.  
Just a few weeks ago, China didn’t know how serious this will get.  Just 2 weeks ago, US didn’t think it was serious.  US didn’t start banning and quarantine people coming back until recently.

 

How do you expect some people from Princess to make the right call when people above their pay grade don’t even know what exactly happened at this point?    Yeah, they don’t know any better!  
 

Everyone is arm chair expert.  This is why I have always maintained my position that Japanese government could/should have done more than less.  These people are put at extra and unnecessary risk because they didn’t want to do more.  You want to take extra precaution in unknown situation, rather than follow the script.  

Edited by kent9xxx1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, voljeep said:

i'll ask is @chengkp75 currently on a PRINCESS cruise ship with the current technology , or how long has it been ?

 

The inaugural cruise of the Diamond Princess was March 13, 2004.  Not exactly the latest technology.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We're boarding Star on the 12th also.  They might be scanning foreheads for temperatures , bring out health questionnaires and maybe travel history questionnaires.  We might even see a separate check in line for people traveling with foreign passports.

  We're bringing more sprays and wipes than usual, and packing an additional weeks worth of meds, , but looking forward to a great cruise. Aloha.  Mike in CT

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:


Again, you assumed whoever making the decision on the ship to know exactly how this virus can spread.  Even the CDC doesn’t know.  Just a few days ago, they didn’t know the virus can survive up to 9 days at room temp.  
Just a few weeks ago, China didn’t know how serious this will get.  Just 2 weeks ago, US didn’t think it was serious.  US didn’t start banning and quarantine people coming back until recently.

 

How do you expect some people from Princess to make the right call when people above their pay grade don’t even know what exactly happened at this point?    Yeah, they don’t know any better!  

 

The world is learning by the day if not by the hour. Even in hospitals they cannot control transmission. So yeah indeed, Princess doesn't know any better!  I understand the need to let passengers into the promenade deck for a cabin fever break but that cannot help the quarantine. Think of all the common areas, hallways, elevators, stairs, etc. Damn if you do, damn if you don't.

 

"40 health care workers in the study and 17 patients who were already hospitalized for other reasons were presumed to have been infected with the novel coronavirus in the hospital, the data showed."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/07/health/coronavirus-hospital-transmissions-study/index.html

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, brisalta said:

The inaugural cruise of the Diamond Princess was March 13, 2004.  Not exactly the latest technology.

 

Yes but as I posted before the ship received an extensive retrofit in 2017 and a further refurbishment in 2019. Energy conservation was a top criteria.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...