Jump to content

PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, bluesea321 said:

 

Yes but as I posted before the ship received an extensive retrofit in 2017 and a further refurbishment in 2019. Energy conservation was a top criteria.

 

Do you have a link to the work orders? If so do they include retrofitting the HVAC system with a new technology?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2020 at 9:04 AM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Princess acted swiftly and has handled this extremely well in my view. I will happily join the Grand on March 7 and go to Hawaii. 

 

The Grand is a grand ship. You will enjoy her.

I wonder if the corona virus outbreak in China will result in Princess Cruise Lines changing their decision to move the Grand to Asia?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, barbaraanne said:

My husband and I are scheduled to leave out of Fort Lauderdale on Sky Princess Feb 22...less than two weeks from now.  We have the insurance policy that lets us cancel for any reason, and includes our Princess air, for a future cruise credit.  Being that our ship hasn’t been to China and is staying in the Caribbean, we don’t think there’s anything to fear from Coronavirus.  If you were us, would you just go ahead, all smiles and fun, or cancel for a future cruise credit in an abundance of caution?

I was supposed to be on Regal Princess out of Ft Lauderdale today and we cancelled.  I need thyroid medication to stay alive (I have no thyroid from thyroid cancer).  I always bring a lot more medication than I need when traveling but with this virus there are so many unknowns and I can’t risk being in a foreign land  (like Mexico) without my usual medication.  Plus, personally I just can’t deal with the anxiety of this whole situation.  I think it’s far worse than it’s being reported.  There have been Cruise ships in the Caribbean refused docking due to illness lately and that could happen to any ship anywhere right now.  We re-booked for July and will use the 75% from the cancelled cruise today for that cruise in July.  Hopefully things will have calmed down by then.  Everybody has a different tolerance for these types of things.  Mine is low😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 9:41 AM, dog said:

Holland America Westerdam not allowed to disembark in Japan. Other places banning cruise ships. Article in Daily Mail

 

The Westerdam had taken on passengers in China.  There are small islands in the Pacific that have banned cruise ships for other reasons. The Daily Mail is known as fish wrap among other things. (It is only reliable for wrapping fish and chips in).

Link to post
Share on other sites

KL, 

I am so sorry you have to worry about all this when you had planned this huge trip to be a much needed break from worry!!

 

We were on this Star Hawaii cruise from Jan. 13 - 28th, last month. ( I wonder if this is the same as nbist)  It was a great cruise.  

I am extremely paranoid of becoming sick, and yes, there were people coughing, but what can you do? 

I can't tell you how incredibly careful I was, and ended up with some stuffiness on Day 11.  I was not coughing, no fever, and didn't feel too bad.  Hubby started coughing the day after we got home, and although not as bad as Elliair posted above, it took him a while to kick it.

 

If I can answer any questions about the cruise on the Star, let me know.  I keep meaning to post a review, but haven't found the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

I was supposed to be on Regal Princess out of Ft Lauderdale today and we cancelled.  I need thyroid medication to stay alive (I have no thyroid from thyroid cancer).  I always bring a lot more medication than I need when traveling but with this virus there are so many unknowns and I can’t risk being in a foreign land  (like Mexico) without my usual medication.  Plus, personally I just can’t deal with the anxiety of this whole situation.  I think it’s far worse than it’s being reported.  There have been Cruise ships in the Caribbean refused docking due to illness lately and that could happen to any ship anywhere right now.  We re-booked for July and will use the 75% from the cancelled cruise today for that cruise in July.  Hopefully things will have calmed down by then.  Everybody has a different tolerance for these types of things.  Mine is low😀


I fully understand your desire to cancel but I’m not sure I agree with the issue of your thyroid. I have no thyroid function at all due to auto immune issues (rheumatologist said she’d never seen a TSH as high as mine - which is a brain stimulating hormone trying to get the thyroid to produce thyroxine) and I forgot to pack my tablets (I take many due to SLE) for a 3 week cruise. I’m still here. And in any event the ship will ensure your meds are replaced. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Pushka said:


I fully understand your desire to cancel but I’m not sure I agree with the issue of your thyroid. I have no thyroid function at all due to auto immune issues (rheumatologist said she’d never seen a TSH as high as mine - which is a brain stimulating hormone trying to get the thyroid to produce thyroxine) and I forgot to pack my tablets (I take many due to SLE) for a 3 week cruise. I’m still here. And in any event the ship will ensure your meds are replaced. 
 

Not for me.   No guarantee that the ship (or country if in a foreign country) would supply the correct medication.  I have absolutely NO thyroid tissue; it was removed in 2008 and I had Radioactive Iodine treatment to totally oblate it so I am completely dependent 100% on the medication. I was in Greece last summer and was on another thyroid medication that wasn’t being processed in my body. I went extremely hypothyroid within a week and my body started to shut down.  I had to seek emergency treatment.  It was extremely frightening.  The thyroid controls everything from your heart to all your muscles.  When that starts to shut down you can die of a heart attack.  Having no thyroid is completely different to a low or “non functioning” thyroid.  There is still a small amount of function if there is thyroid tissue present.  Believe me I know from experience unfortunately that I cannot go longer than a week without medication without an emergency situation on my hands .😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Not for me.   No guarantee that the ship (or country if in a foreign country) would supply the correct medication.  I have absolutely NO thyroid tissue; it was removed in 2008 and I had Radioactive Iodine treatment to totally oblate it so I am completely dependent 100% on the medication. I was in Greece last summer and was on another thyroid medication that wasn’t being processed in my body. I went extremely hypothyroid within a week and my body started to shut down.  I had to seek emergency treatment.  It was extremely frightening.  The thyroid controls everything from your heart to all your muscles.  When that starts to shut down you can die of a heart attack.  Having no thyroid is completely different to a low or “non functioning” thyroid.  There is still a small amount of function if there is thyroid tissue present.  Believe me I know from experience unfortunately that I cannot go longer than a week without medication without an emergency situation on my hands .😀

 

Regardless of  what you decide to do about the current epidemic/pandemic-to-be/etc., pills are very small.

 

Why not take enough for several months?  (I get mine in 90 day supplies, and - annoyingly - the little bottle is the same size as for a one month supply, and there is too much "air space" in both!)

 

Also, IF you ever got stranded, couldn't you take half-tablets/etc., at least for a while?  Wouldn't that be like having a partially functioning thyroid?

This is what I do (or am prepared to do), and I, too, have had a thyroidectomy, many decades ago. 

(I've been told, repeatedly, to ONLY take <brand name> thyroid medication, and I've never "tested" that by being willing to take generics, etc.)

 

NOTE:  I am not a physician (and certainly not *your* physician!), so do check with your own medical team about any such plans, at least for unexpected/emergency situations...

 

GC

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

 

Regardless of  what you decide to do about the current epidemic/pandemic-to-be/etc., pills are very small.

 

Why not take enough for several months?  (I get mine in 90 day supplies, and - annoyingly - the little bottle is the same size as for a one month supply, and there is too much "air space" in both!)

 

Also, IF you ever got stranded, couldn't you take half-tablets/etc., at least for a while?  Wouldn't that be like having a partially functioning thyroid?

This is what I do (or am prepared to do), and I, too, have had a thyroidectomy, many decades ago. 

(I've been told, repeatedly, to ONLY take <brand name> thyroid medication, and I've never "tested" that by being willing to take generics, etc.)

 

NOTE:  I am not a physician (and certainly not *your* physician!), so do check with your own medical team about any such plans, at least for unexpected/emergency situations...

 

GC

 

Mine are in foil strips so even easier. The 200 mg are rather large but certainly very easy to take several weeks supply at once and keep them refrigerated as well. 
 

Cancelling for anxiety on an Asian cruise I certainly understand. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brisalta said:

 

Typhoid Mary carried a bacteria not a virus.

Apples and oranges.  Maybe I should have said a carrier of a disease that they infect others but are not affected by it themselves.

Edited by elliair
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

5 hours ago, CH_ca said:

I have limited knowledge on how drains work on cruise ships. If anyone knows more please chime in.  Does anyone know if the floor drains in stateroom bathrooms could be a potential danger? I've seen posts complaining about odours in stateroom bathrooms and others suggested pouring a glass of water into the floor drain and the odour stopped. I just found on Wikipedia about how SARS was spread in a Hong Kong housing complex Amoy Gardens. Many people there contracted SARS without having contacts with anyone who was sick. They later found out the culprit to be the bathroom floor drains for spreading the SARS virus.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoy_Gardens

 

My thoughts are with the passengers on Diamond Princess.

 

2 hours ago, ShipWalker said:

 

Not sure about drains on cruise ships in particular but google "p trap" in regards to basic plumbing.

 

 

That's the thing! What if the p trap is dried due to lack of use for some time? That's how SARS was spread in that housing complex in Hong Kong back in 2013. I'm just worried!☹️

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Pushka said:

 

Mine are in foil strips so even easier. The 200 mg are rather large but certainly very easy to take several weeks supply at once and keep them refrigerated as well. 
 

Cancelling for anxiety on an Asian cruise I certainly understand. 

Everyone’s situation is different and each person needs to decide for themselves how to proceed.  I suffer from anxiety so, yes even the Caribbean cruise puts me on extreme edge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CH_ca said:

That's the thing! What if the p trap is dried due to lack of use for some time? That's how SARS was spread in that housing complex in Hong Kong back in 2013. I'm just worried!☹️

If it helps relieve your concern you can simply pour a glass or two of water down the drain. I occasionally have to do it in my RV during the wintertime when not in use. (and to you fellow RVer's out there, yes I use RV antifreeze, not water)

Edited by ShipWalker
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Everyone’s situation is different and each person needs to decide for themselves how to proceed.  I suffer from anxiety so, yes even the Caribbean cruise puts me on extreme edge.

 

Definitely do what you think is best for you.  You are the only one who knows your medical condition and your anxiety level.  

 

A few weeks ago everyone on my roll call was slamming me for wanting to cancel the FEB 1 sailing on westerdam.  I  did not board or travel to HK.  So, I made the right choice as the Westerdam never ported (well once for a few hours) and is out to sea for almost the whole duration of the cruise(10 days now). 

 

YOU are the only one who is paying for your vacation, so only do what feels right to you.  Good luck, I hope it works out.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Include WHO to this list. Its constant praise of China and its leader Xi is both over the top and rather comical.

This is when I wish I understood the Chinese language.  I'm seeing many videos on Twitter where people are crying, going ballistic because of the lockdown.  Some are being dragged out of their homes, and some have never been seen again.  Anyone caught reporting what is going on is arrested.  It's not so much about the disease, it's about money and saving face.  It's hurting the travel industry, restaurants, and people are hoarding.  The news eventually gets out one way or another, news these days travels fast.  You have to wade through common sense and fake news.  It's all coming down to showing just how vicious a communist regime can be.  I'm not so sure that there's that much fake news in this virus reporting.  People are truly scared and they want the rest of the world to know.  This virus has moved fast and has killed more in 29 days than SARs did in several months.  Can't compare it to SARs any more.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, elliair said:

People are truly scared and they want the rest of the world to know.  This virus has moved fast and has killed more in 29 days than SARs did in several months.  Can't compare it to SARs any more.

 

Here is the latest from the NYT backing up what you said. The only good news in the article is that the WHO will finally be allowed into China to help with the epidemic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/09/world/asia/china-coronavirus-sars.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, elliair said:

This is when I wish I understood the Chinese language.  I'm seeing many videos on Twitter where people are crying, going ballistic because of the lockdown.  Some are being dragged out of their homes, and some have never been seen again.  Anyone caught reporting what is going on is arrested.  It's not so much about the disease, it's about money and saving face.  It's hurting the travel industry, restaurants, and people are hoarding.  The news eventually gets out one way or another, news these days travels fast.  You have to wade through common sense and fake news.  It's all coming down to showing just how vicious a communist regime can be.  I'm not so sure that there's that much fake news in this virus reporting.  People are truly scared and they want the rest of the world to know.  This virus has moved fast and has killed more in 29 days than SARs did in several months.  Can't compare it to SARs any more.

 

May be it is better we don't know. The truth is likely way uglier and more horrifying than we can imagine. I feel for all the coronavirus victims especially the brave Chinese doctor who lost his life for trying to do the right thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, elliair said:

This virus has moved fast and has killed more in 29 days than SARs did in several months.  Can't compare it to SARs any more.

According to the below, SARS was much more dangerous . I am NOT minimizing the danger of coronavirus . BTW , the flu which kills about 30 thousand each year in the US alone has a fatality rate of approximately 1% . Not nothing . 

 

SARS had a fatality rate of 9.6% compared to coronavirus fatality rate of 2.1%, but that may change.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/coronavirus-is-less-deadly-than-sars-but-that-may-explain-why-its-so-contagious-2020-01-30

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are due to fly to Singapore on the 20th February, two nights in Singapore then join the sapphire to travel to Thailand and Vietnam. Then go to Bali for five nights. I am not so much worried about catching the corona virus as we will practice good hygiene as we always do. I'm more worried about arriving in Singapore and finding that the ship is in quarantine and we cannot board. This is a trip of a lifetime for us, not least because I have a medical condition that will curtail my lifespan. I dread the thought that we will fly for 14 hours, board the ship and not be able to disembark at the countries we are so looking forward to seeing. Although princess will allow us to cancel the cruise and re-book another we have booked through a travel agent and the flights and hotels either side of the cruise were booked separately so we would lose them. I was talking to my daughters friend who's brother lives in ho chi minh City, he said all the shops and schools are closed and everyone is staying at home. Are many of the excursions likely to be cancelled or will we just wander round empty towns or villages? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, elliair said:

What is the most puzzling is that there have been no reports on the testing of animal samples collected in any epicenters in Wuhan, especially at the Huanan seafood market, to identify what animals might be the host or intermediate hosts of this novel Wuhan coronavirus.

 

An Animal Origin of the Virus

 

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/mysterious-origin-wuhan-coronavirus

 

There was an interview with two Chinese virologists they had found the orginal Novel Corona virus in caves around Wuhan five years ago and already linked it to the Horeshoe Bat. The question is whether it jumped straight from bat to human or did go through an intermediatry animal like the Pangolin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nbist said:

We were recently on this cruise. There were a large number of Asian passengers. Where they were from, China, Japan, US,  I have no clue. I also noticed more crew members from China on this cruise, including 1 who told us he had "just arrived for his first contract".

 

If I were going to embark during this current outbreak I would ask the corporate office if passengers (or crew) who have traveled through China or Hong Kong in the past 2 weeks are going to be allowed to board the ship in LA. With that information you would be better able to evaluate the potential risk and make the best decision for you. 

Trying to think about this logically,  you're not on the Star right now, so the earliest you could have been on it would be about a month ago, and since there is no reports of sickness that I am aware of means the staff are well. 

 

Now I have to believe that Princess is well aware of the potential damage in terms of dollars and reputation should there be another Diamond incident. So I have to have faith that they will be extra dilligent in screening all persons coming board now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Deborahw58 said:

We are due to fly to Singapore on the 20th February, two nights in Singapore then join the sapphire to travel to Thailand and Vietnam. Then go to Bali for five nights. I am not so much worried about catching the corona virus as we will practice good hygiene as we always do. I'm more worried about arriving in Singapore and finding that the ship is in quarantine and we cannot board. This is a trip of a lifetime for us, not least because I have a medical condition that will curtail my lifespan. I dread the thought that we will fly for 14 hours, board the ship and not be able to disembark at the countries we are so looking forward to seeing. Although princess will allow us to cancel the cruise and re-book another we have booked through a travel agent and the flights and hotels either side of the cruise were booked separately so we would lose them. I was talking to my daughters friend who's brother lives in ho chi minh City, he said all the shops and schools are closed and everyone is staying at home. Are many of the excursions likely to be cancelled or will we just wander round empty towns or villages? 

 

 

So sorry to read this. This is heartbreaking.  Many hotels give you free cancellation within 24 hours and under the circumstances maybe the airline will waive a change fee? Worst case, most air non-refundable tickets are not really non-refundable, you can pay an international change fee and use the credit leftover on a new set of flights.

 

I don't know anything about what is happening in Vietnam, but if you are hearing from someone on the ground that it's NOT business as usual, why not believe them?  In any case, from what I have read, this cruise will not be what you expected.

 

If I were you, especially in your situation, I would look to see if you could switch to a cruise in a different region or see if you can throw yourself on the mercy of the cruiseline and with a doctor's note, get a full refund as opposed to a cruise credit and book and all inclusive somewhere or book another trip somewhere outside Asia.  Sadly, I do not see any good options for you on this particular cruise and since so many ports are denying ships entry, I think waiting much longer will just shrink your options even further.

 

I am nervous about the virus, but, not to be callous, if you are already near end of life, what do you have to lose?  If I were in your shoes, worrying about the virus would be a non-issue. I'd be more concerned about making sure that one of my last vacations was as amazing and trouble-free as possible.  Good luck all around!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Deborahw58 said:

We are due to fly to Singapore on the 20th February, two nights in Singapore then join the sapphire to travel to Thailand and Vietnam. Then go to Bali for five nights. I am not so much worried about catching the corona virus as we will practice good hygiene as we always do. I'm more worried about arriving in Singapore and finding that the ship is in quarantine and we cannot board. This is a trip of a lifetime for us, not least because I have a medical condition that will curtail my lifespan. I dread the thought that we will fly for 14 hours, board the ship and not be able to disembark at the countries we are so looking forward to seeing. Although princess will allow us to cancel the cruise and re-book another we have booked through a travel agent and the flights and hotels either side of the cruise were booked separately so we would lose them. I was talking to my daughters friend who's brother lives in ho chi minh City, he said all the shops and schools are closed and everyone is staying at home. Are many of the excursions likely to be cancelled or will we just wander round empty towns or villages? 

I would cancel. I do not want to be in Asia right now. Is there another "bucket list trip" that you have on your list that you can substitute. Hopefully airlines/hotels will work with you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

 

 

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

 

Mine are in foil strips so even easier. The 200 mg are rather large but certainly very easy to take several weeks supply at once and keep them refrigerated as well. 
 

Cancelling for anxiety on an Asian cruise I certainly understand. 

This is a discussion husband and I have been having. 

 

Meds - my needles cost 1100.00  PER INJECTION (about $17,000 per month) , which I inject  every other day. Since the cost is so high insurance will only give me 2 weeks at a time. Which we always bring with us.  Something like this quarantine,  has us a little worried. Our next cruise isnt for  12 weeks  hopefully this scare is over with.  We also carry cancel for any reason and if  this virus is still running rampant then we will probably cancel.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...