PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

14 hours ago, lhsail said:

This sounds a lot like what we will be embarking on, but all on Princess. If we had the chance to cancel our Transpacific we probably would. Unfortunately, we do not have the cancel for any reason provision. Will probably be doing more dining room and room service for breakfast and lunch. Washing our hands until they are raw.   Packing lots of hydrogen peroxide wipes. 

If the virus can be transmitted through the air,  how will these measures prevent contracting it, especially washing your hands till they're raw? I don't understand. 

1 hour ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Yes.  I was reading a twitter comment from someone on board and they bring up some good points about NOT wanting to go on the plane back to the USA.  If the USA govt is not testing everyone before they get on the plane and you are negative and are exposed on that flight back to the USA then you could potentially get sick with the virus from the flight home.  Some would rather ride out the rest of the ship quarantine and go home directly if testing negative.  Ugh.  This is a tough situation. I really feel for these people.

Except that the State Dept. has said that if they don't return to the U.S. on this chartered flight, they're not going to be allowed back into the U.S. any time soon.

Edited by MadManOfBethesda
Typo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

Except that the State Dept. has said that if they don't return to the U.S. on this chartered flight, they're not going to be allowed back into the U.S. any time soon.

I would jump on that flight for sure!   I’d rather be in my home country for quarantine (language, medical care, food etc.). This is going to be a long story for a lot of people.  

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

Not sure how they could stop them though. They can put them in quarantine, sure. But not allowing your own citizens into the country?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

Not sure how they could stop them though. They can put them in quarantine, sure. But not allowing your own citizens into the country?

I guess the issue is if they develop symptoms they will not be allowed to travel and will be placed in a Japanese hospital for who knows how long.  If the person is asymptomatic they have to be released from a “Japanese ordered quarantine”.  I think the USA govt.  worked out a special deal with the Japanese to have the US passengers released on the chartered planes.  Otherwise if you don’t go now, you are subject to the Japanese quarantine laws.

Edited by Cruzinforpeace***
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Yes.  I was reading a twitter comment from someone on board and they bring up some good points about NOT wanting to go on the plane back to the USA.  If the USA govt is not testing everyone before they get on the plane and you are negative and are exposed on that flight back to the USA then you could potentially get sick with the virus from the flight home.  Some would rather ride out the rest of the ship quarantine and go home directly if testing negative.  Ugh.  This is a tough situation. I really feel for these people.

Not testing? Is that true?

1 hour ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

They used the less than useful phrase "for a period of time". Both a day and a year are a period of time. How are the pax supposed to make their decision based on that?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SakeDad said:

It's true. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fear-and-boredom-aboard-the-quarantined-coronavirus-cruise-ship-11581705677?emailToken=1875538ad283ba98582fb5c5d176933eKHq/ezRcW+mUd4XtX+PN0KkTQE+zO18AAncqAnGVJL6Mz3164tROXmBvO0RZ2HPJer91WlAcbC57DuZBjRFhp0Ru7aQqMNd7meQf2Vjp7TKBXOtyTwXJ/6TGL4qXdeiX&reflink=article_copyURL_share

this article is even more fun reading, the blurb about the family in an inside cabin, the quote about fear of dying when seeing people outside cabin in full hazmat, 

“I can’t wrap my head around the fact that I could die from this cruise,” said Gay Courter, a 75-year-old Amer­i­can nov­el­ist con­fined to a cabin with her hus­band. “I go look out­side and there’s peo­ple in white haz­mat suits.”

”Anx­i­ety and bore­dom ap­pear the most com­mon symp­toms aboard what amounts to a float­ing petri dish. Aun Na Tan, of Mel­bourne, Aus­tralia, her hus­band, a 19-year-old son, and a daugh­ter, 16, are stuck in a win­dow­less cabin with two bunk beds. While the teens prac­tice hand­stands, Ms. Tan said, “my hus­band is try­ing to learn.”

wow the risks and joys of sailing with thousands eating, partying, sharing the elevator theater and bathrooms and narrow hallways is all become so clear of the risks!

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

The ship quarantine is just not working

The purpose of quarantine is to protect those who are not in quarantine. If anyone on the ship has infected someone who isn't on the ship, then you can say the quarantine isn't working. Has that happened?

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, richstowe said:

Hope you don't mind me waiting for a non Infowars report . 🤮

Looks like Infowars got it right before the “real news”.  Not seeing it in many mainstream places.

here’s another source for the doubters:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/15/national/us-citizen-evacuate-yokohama-coronavirus/#.XkgvIiROnYU

Edited by Cruzinforpeace***

1 hour ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

I guess the issue is if they develop symptoms they will not be allowed to travel and will be placed in a Japanese hospital for who knows how long.  If the person is asymptomatic they have to be released from a “Japanese ordered quarantine”.  I think the USA govt.  worked out a special deal with the Japanese to have the US passengers released on the chartered planes.  Otherwise if you don’t go now, you are subject to the Japanese quarantine laws.

That definitely makes sense. I guess the original wording sounded more like "if you don't fly back with us you can't come until way later". Personally, I would probably prefer to finish quarantine on the ship (say to the 21/22/23) if I could then return to my home country without any further need for quarantine etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, silkismom said:

I can't help but wonder how the passengers will like being in military barracks after a suite on the ship.

Concerns have also been raised that the crew isn't really in quarantine, which means that the virus could (and has been) spreading.  I'd rather be in quarantine in military barracks where there is a better chance that the clock doesn't keep getting reset because the virus keeps spreading, with access to strong medical care (there is strong medical care available in Japan, but passengers from this ship have reported not being happy with their care.  I don't know how valid this concern is)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, silkismom said:

I can't help but wonder how the passengers will like being in military barracks after a suite on the ship.

I've been stationed on Air Force bases.  Their accommodations are a lot better than what we had in the Marines..  lol

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

That definitely makes sense. I guess the original wording sounded more like "if you don't fly back with us you can't come until way later". Personally, I would probably prefer to finish quarantine on the ship (say to the 21/22/23) if I could then return to my home country without any further need for quarantine etc.

The 14 day quarantine after leaving Japan varies by country, I believe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmkub said:

The purpose of quarantine is to protect those who are not in quarantine. If anyone on the ship has infected someone who isn't on the ship, then you can say the quarantine isn't working. Has that happened?

A bug like this really hard to contain without really draconian and severe civil liberties restrictions and even i China containment isn’t happening, forget containment happening in Western counties 

From what I understand there will be no getting around an extended quarantine for anyone who had been on the ship when re-entering the US.  Do it now, do it later, or stay in Japan for an undetermined amount of time. Personally, I think I would prefer to return to the US, where I speak the language, am familiar with the medical system, eat American food, and have more reliable phone and internet access to the people who I know will fight for me if needed.  

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Twolittleboys said:

WHy wud you think that home country wud not be smart enough to innist on fresh 14 days quarrantine to protec  their own population? 

Being on Diamond Princess is no different than having visited mainland china (in fact significant higher risk in terms of per cubic feet of infected air)