Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
mcrcruiser

PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

 

"Earlier Sunday, health minister Katsunobu Kato said 1,219 people on the ship had now been tested for the virus, with 355 diagnosed with the illness."

That leaves over 2,000 still to be tested (Japan has indicated that all will be tested before disembarking).

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/17/national/science-health/americans-leave-quarantined-ship-yokohama-onboard-virus-cases-hit-355/#.XkmgcRNKjPA

 

A 29% infection rate of those tested so far, scary stuff.  I hope for the sake of all those still to be tested that they test negative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

 

And then there is this:

“While the final plans have not been confirmed to us, the Japanese government has informed us that they may start a new testing process for guests beginning February 18, Swartz said in the video, noting testing could take a few days to complete and that it should take at least three days individual test results back. So guests who are tested on February 18 and have negative test results may be able to disembark beginning February 21.”

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/3050885/coronavirus-princess-cruises-outlines-plan-end

 

 

Here is a letter from Diamond Princess that Matt Smith posted on Twitter

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

 

 

Here is a letter from Diamond Princess that Matt Smith posted on Twitter

 

 

 

It read well until the penultimate sentence:

"The above is subject to change and we cannot guarantee the accuracy"  I would laugh if it wasn't so serious.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, kiwichick62 said:

 

A 29% infection rate of those tested so far, scary stuff.  I hope for the sake of all those still to be tested that they test negative.

That percentage is skewed. Remember that the first rounds of tests were only done on people already showing symptoms or those who were at risk due to other health issues. So it's not a true percentage of cases across the whole ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me see if I have this right.  Matt Smith does not want to travel back to the US with other passengers from the Diamond, because he believes they might be infected, and does want to catch the virus from them.  However, he somehow believes he will be free from quarantine in Japan any day.  

 

Just as he does not want to be in close contact with passengers from the Diamond, I suspect most people in Japan do not want to be in close contact with him or others from the ship.  I think he is deluding himself to believe he will not be placed in quarantine again in Japan, assuming he is allowed off the ship in the next few days.  

 

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That percentage is skewed. Remember that the first rounds of tests were only done on people already showing symptoms or those who were at risk due to other health issues. So it's not a true percentage of cases across the whole ship. 

 

True. However the infection rate of the whole ship is now about 10% and climbing by the day. Even in Wuhan, the epicenter of the virus, the infection rate is well below 1%. While there is no absolute proof experts have little doubt that the quarantine has not worked in preventing pax to pax (or crew) transmission. It has worked in preventing ship to shore transmission, it's key purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt very much that the USA hasn’t already flagged his passport for when he returns to the USA. And the words ‘at this time’ say it all. 
The Westerdam passenger has now tested positive twice. She flew back on a charter flight to KL and the Adelaide couple threw their masks off when they landed back in Adelaide on Saturday. What a difference a day makes. Now they are worried as they were on the same charter flight out of Cambodia. Hopefully they will self quarantine but they spent at least 24 hours here before they knew. 

Edited by Pushka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

Let me see if I have this right.  Matt Smith does not want to travel back to the US with other passengers from the Diamond, because he believes they might be infected, and does want to catch the virus from them.  However, he somehow believes he will be free from quarantine in Japan any day.  

 

I agree that I might not want to sit next to Matt Smith on a plane; however, the letter states that anyone in close contact with someone who has been infected cannot exit and will be quarantined.  That leads me to believe that maybe the Japanese authorities have reviewed and analyzed the health data and can see how/why/where/when some of the transmission among the infected 300+ happened on the ship. 

 

Wishful thinking?  Maybe.  But I want to cruise on the 15th and I can't keep reading and ignoring bad news!  😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, did the 3 people mentioned in earlier posts ( owns radio station) take flight today?  They had the balcony opened, were going back and forth between cabins, no masks. So close contact with the female who tested positive on Friday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

 

That leaves over 2,000 still to be tested (Japan has indicated that all will be tested before disembarking).

 

 

Obviously most of those being evacuated to the USA and some other countries will not be tested before they leave the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The following was posted last night at https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/itinerary-modifications-cancellations.html

 

"

February 15, 2020 at 10:40PM PT

Updated Cancellation Policy

Guests booked on an Asia cancelled cruise, and have cancelled their booking on or after January 20, 2020, will receive details on a compensation package in the coming weeks.

"

They have also cancelled the April 20, 2020 sailing of the Diamond Princess

Edited by brisalta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, suzyed said:

Of course!  Agree!
Many people, like me,  get colds every time they fly because people are very careless about covering their mouths when they cough or sneeze.  We'll be on a 9+ hours flight taking us to a 32 day cruise, I certainly don't want to catch any "cooties" from other passenger at the start of my vacation.  I will continue my regiment of wiping down all of the surfaces at my seat on the plane (I once saw a woman change a baby's dirty diaper on one of the tray tables), take my airbourne, maybe wear a mask and I don't care about others snarky comments. 
Surgical masks are not useless.....I used them for 35+ years as an OR nurse to protect patients.  I wonder who would want to have surgery in an OR where no one wore those "useless" masks?


i think the problem lies in the fact that, as you stated, most of the masks are meant to protect “your patients”, as opposed to protecting YOU from your patients.  Same with this scenario...people are wearing masks that protect others from them, not protecting them from others, as they believe is the case?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Diamond lover said:


i think the problem lies in the fact that, as you stated, most of the masks are meant to protect “your patients”, as opposed to protecting YOU from your patients.  Same with this scenario...people are wearing masks that protect others from them, not protecting them from others, as they believe is the case?

To clarify, a regular surgical mask does a pretty good job in protecting those of us in health care in a droplet isolation case, as long as we are still careful to wash our hands and not touch our faces upon leaving the patient's room. Those masks also do a better job of protecting others from droplets that may be coughed or sneezed into the environment. Surgical masks do no good for either party in the case of an airborne infection, such as TB. 

 

In the case of an airborne infection a properly fit and properly worn N-95 mask does an excellent job of protecting the wearer.  We are fit tested every year to make sure that we are wearing the proper size.  Also, we are reinstructed in how to properly put them on.  They are not reused, one time wear.  They are used to protect us and have worked well for years for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 8:25 AM, Roz said:

If the virus can be transmitted through the air,  how will these measures prevent contracting it, especially washing your hands till they're raw? I don't understand. 

Primary spread for colds / flu in general is not airborne. Physical contact with a virus contaminated object is far more common. Sick person sneezes / coughs and gets virus all over hands even using tissues. Touches doorknob / handle, water faucet, elevator button, salt / pepper / sugar / sweetener shakers, dispensers all over the buffet, stylus at point of sale in shops / banks, salesclerk's pen to sign name in shops, ATM buttons. At work, copier buttons / shared terminals / phones / cash registers.

Healthy person touches anything sick person touched, does not wash  hands properly or at all (20-30 seconds or sing Happy Birthday song twice, including cuticle & under fingernails) before touching eyes, nose, mouth, anywhere on face, or before eating.

Bingo, we have a new virus winner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

To clarify, a regular surgical mask does a pretty good job in protecting those of us in health care in a droplet isolation case, as long as we are still careful to wash our hands and not touch our faces upon leaving the patient's room. Those masks also do a better job of protecting others from droplets that may be coughed or sneezed into the environment. Surgical masks do no good for either party in the case of an airborne infection, such as TB. 

 

In the case of an airborne infection a properly fit and properly worn N-95 mask does an excellent job of protecting the wearer.  We are fit tested every year to make sure that we are wearing the proper size.  Also, we are reinstructed in how to properly put them on.  They are not reused, one time wear.  They are used to protect us and have worked well for years for me. 

 

Thanks... a helpful explanation.

 

Do you (or anyone) know which type COVID-19 is?

Is it correct that any virus/etc., that is aerosol is the type where the smaller particles do get through?  But would there still be *some* protection from droplets (coughing/sneezing/etc.) that contained the virus/smaller particles?

 

Thanks again.

 

GC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

To clarify, a regular surgical mask does a pretty good job in protecting those of us in health care in a droplet isolation case, as long as we are still careful to wash our hands and not touch our faces upon leaving the patient's room. Those masks also do a better job of protecting others from droplets that may be coughed or sneezed into the environment. Surgical masks do no good for either party in the case of an airborne infection, such as TB. 

 

In the case of an airborne infection a properly fit and properly worn N-95 mask does an excellent job of protecting the wearer.  We are fit tested every year to make sure that we are wearing the proper size.  Also, we are reinstructed in how to properly put them on.  They are not reused, one time wear.  They are used to protect us and have worked well for years for me. 

AMEN!!
Same for me!

 

 

Edited by suzyed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

 

Thanks... a helpful explanation.

 

Do you (or anyone) know which type COVID-19 is?

Is it correct that any virus/etc., that is aerosol is the type where the smaller particles do get through?  But would there still be *some* protection from droplets (coughing/sneezing/etc.) that contained the virus/smaller particles?

 

Thanks again.

 

GC

I think that is the million dollar question. I think once they how this virus is really spread it will be easier to contain. Most viruses are droplet, but some are saying that it is airborne. TB is a bacilli.  

 

Edit to add:  the above explanations of droplet is excellent.  Most people do not wash their hands properly.  Also, if this virus happens to be different then other viruses and is airborne I have seen very few pictures, if any, of people wearing their masks properly, so they are likely not effective. 

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Passengers on the Diamond were at least able to have internet access, I wonder if anyone will be able to keep people updated?

Has anyone who was removed from the ship after testing positive been able to send updates to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Passengers on the Diamond were at least able to have internet access, I wonder if anyone will be able to keep people updated?

Has anyone who was removed from the ship after testing positive been able to send updates to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 

Yes. One lady did a live feed from her hospital room. Another lady has been interviewed by the news and she was seen through her hospital room window. A man has been contacting his wife and on social media since arriving at the hospital. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Australian P.M. Scott Morrison just announced that the Australians on board Diamond Princess will be evacuated on Wednesday and flown to Darwin.  They will then have a 14 day quarantine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

Australian P.M. Scott Morrison just announced that the Australians on board Diamond Princess will be evacuated on Wednesday and flown to Darwin.  They will then have a 14 day quarantine.

That’s a sensible cautious approach. After the Westerdam of the weekend they have to assume they will need a further quarantine period. Just hope they will track all the passengers now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pushka said:

That’s a sensible cautious approach. After the Westerdam of the weekend they have to assume they will need a further quarantine period. Just hope they will track all the passengers now. 

 

But assuming some or even many of them eventually test positive, what of all the people they interacted with en route home?

It gets exponential...

 

GC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Officers and Crew would continue to work on board and it is possible there are B2B pax as well.    The ship would not have had a deep clean before new pax joined. 
This is a repeat scenario of Diamond Princess, isn’t it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

 

But assuming some or even many of them eventually test positive, what of all the people they interacted with en route home?

It gets exponential...

 

GC


They will be isolated properly and likely into very small groups if not individually or as a couple. If one of a party tests positive then that group will be dealt with separately. They have to break the cycle of possible reinfection somehow and this is the way to do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...