Jump to content
,

PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS


mcrcruiser
 Share

Recommended Posts

We cruise on Saturday after being canceled last Saturday.  With all the fluidity of these events, what do you guys think would be the chances of the Royal and all the other ships being cancelled?  The Royal should have a great chance of sailing if the government allows it because it has been sitting for a week and everyone on board has been cleared by the CDC.  My fear is that the government may step in and shut all cruises to and from the USA down.  This would severely hurt the industry, but California has already shut down two California ports.  UUUGGGGG!!  I am holding my breath until Saturday!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Containment was an epic missed opportunity, but a no-win.  If any government had chosen that real route they would have banned travel and instituted more draconian things then China did, there would have been a riot and condemnation from the world, would be interesting if a country did that ( North Korea? ) 

 

Now we are in the mitigation and you could argue there is gathering that is too large, any gathering of people who go off to other groups will be an infection risk, how far do you take social distancing and gathering?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Taseko said:

I think the point being made is that gatherings of any size should be cancelled at this time.  

Containment was an epic missed opportunity, but a no-win.  If any government had chosen that real route they would have banned travel and instituted more draconian things then China did, there would have been a riot and condemnation from the world, would be interesting if a country did that ( North Korea? ) 

 

Now we are in the mitigation and you could argue there is gathering that is too large, any gathering of people who go off to other groups will be an infection risk, how far do you take social distancing and gathering?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/10/2020 at 1:46 PM, Reader0108598 said:

Just curious what don't you agree with? If a healthy young adult picks up the virus has supper sitting next to and talking to a older person who may have other issues you don't believe they can give them the virus ? I could have your post all wrong maybe you are disagreeing with the 14 day day quarantine.

 

 

The main reason I don't agree with it is that, in my opinion, it is overly broad and unnecessarily pessimistic. I have several reasons for believing this, and only some of what I'm writing here is directly from the post.

1. There is no guarantee that having a single sick individual on a cruise ship means everyone automatically gets sick and dies. It also does not mean everyone aboard will be quarantined for 14 days. If you take the position that even the remotest possibility of coming in contact with an infected person means the whole world shuts down, we shouldn't even be online, we should be hunkered down in our homes and refraining from contact with the outside world. Which is absurd.

2. It's still too early to be making grand predictions and telling people they shouldn't set foot on a cruise ship. I am healthy and have no issues that have been identified as increasing the risk of infection.

3. Most, and I mean over 95% of people who do contract the COVID-19, recover. I have a major gripe right now with the mainstream media because despite their saturating the airwaves with gloom and doom, I have to go to online resources and do a bit of digging to discover that the vast majority of people who were sick, have gotten better. Even the rates of infection have gone down in China.

4. I'm also concerned about the unintended consequences of people calling and canceling their cruises just because they're frightened and unsure, which potentially means people like me who have cruises booked and planned to go on them may have their plans scuppered because of others, and I think that's unfair.

5. Finally, it's the way THIS PARTICULAR virus is being treated that has my hackles up. I promise you that anybody who cruises on a regular basis HAS ALREADY BEEN ON A SHIP WITH SICK PEOPLE. Yet despite the occasional Noro outbreak, life goes on and cruises resume, but for some reason, this virus has everybody hysterical. I predict that in a few months, this will be a non-issue and I refuse to get drawn into the hysterics.

Those are some of the reasons I objected to the post. And I'm sure some people will say "but this is different, this is worse," etc. No it isn't, it's just this year's flu. They said the same thing about H1N1, SARS, avian flu, Ebola, etc. etc. and we're still here.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Proposal by Cruise Lines International Association

(Bloomberg) 3/11/20 pm -- The leading cruise-industry group, responding to the coronavirus pandemic, proposed barring all passengers ages 70 and up from boarding ships unless they get a note from a doctor, according to a person familiar with the document.

The plan submitted to the White House by the Cruise Lines International Association would also keep travelers with certain preexisting conditions from boarding, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the Trump administration hadn’t had time to weigh in.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

The main reason I don't agree with it is that, in my opinion, it is overly broad and unnecessarily pessimistic. I have several reasons for believing this, and only some of what I'm writing here is directly from the post.

1. There is no guarantee that having a single sick individual on a cruise ship means everyone automatically gets sick and dies. It also does not mean everyone aboard will be quarantined for 14 days. If you take the position that even the remotest possibility of coming in contact with an infected person means the whole world shuts down, we shouldn't even be online, we should be hunkered down in our homes and refraining from contact with the outside world. Which is absurd.

2. It's still too early to be making grand predictions and telling people they shouldn't set foot on a cruise ship. I am healthy and have no issues that have been identified as increasing the risk of infection.

3. Most, and I mean over 95% of people who do contract the COVID-19, recover. I have a major gripe right now with the mainstream media because despite their saturating the airwaves with gloom and doom, I have to go to online resources and do a bit of digging to discover that the vast majority of people who were sick, have gotten better. Even the rates of infection have gone down in China.

4. I'm also concerned about the unintended consequences of people calling and canceling their cruises just because they're frightened and unsure, which potentially means people like me who have cruises booked and planned to go on them may have their plans scuppered because of others, and I think that's unfair.

5. Finally, it's the way THIS PARTICULAR virus is being treated that has my hackles up. I promise you that anybody who cruises on a regular basis HAS ALREADY BEEN ON A SHIP WITH SICK PEOPLE. Yet despite the occasional Noro outbreak, life goes on and cruises resume, but for some reason, this virus has everybody hysterical. I predict that in a few months, this will be a non-issue and I refuse to get drawn into the hysterics.

Those are some of the reasons I objected to the post. And I'm sure some people will say "but this is different, this is worse," etc. No it isn't, it's just this year's flu. They said the same thing about H1N1, SARS, avian flu, Ebola, etc. etc. and we're still here.

 

Thank you for your thoughtful answer!  I do agree people go wacky when something comes up I have been on 30 cruises still alive I have COPD! No hand sanitizers ,I eat at the buffet and ...I know ...gasp ...I touch the railings going down the stairs  better than falling. Oh and I don't wipe everything down in my cabin either! YIKES

 

 

 

 

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Containment was an epic missed opportunity, but a no-win.  If any government had chosen that real route they would have banned travel and instituted more draconian things then China did, there would have been a riot and condemnation from the world, would be interesting if a country did that ( North Korea? ) 

 

Now we are in the mitigation and you could argue there is gathering that is too large, any gathering of people who go off to other groups will be an infection risk, how far do you take social distancing and gathering?

Not clear where to draw the line. The local government is just trying to slow it down from doubling every six days so we're not at 100,000 cases in six weeks. FYI they just shut down Seattle Public School. So many angles to this including cruises. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would appreciate people's advice. DH (63) and I (62) are booked on the Royal Princess on May 2nd sailing out of San Pedro. We can cancel by end of March and get 50% payment back + FCC for cancellation fees. It is for our 40th wedding anniversary. We are really looking forward to it and are both feeling very disappointed and, at the same time, do not want to do anything foolish to endanger our health. If the virus has died down by then, I would not want to cancel, but it's so difficult to tell what will happen. What do you all think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, John99 said:

Proposal by Cruise Lines International Association

 

(Bloomberg) 3/11/20 pm -- The leading cruise-industry group, responding to the coronavirus pandemic, proposed barring all passengers ages 70 and up from boarding ships unless they get a note from a doctor, according to a person familiar with the document.

 

The plan submitted to the White House by the Cruise Lines International Association would also keep travelers with certain preexisting conditions from boarding, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the Trump administration hadn’t had time to weigh in.

 

 

 

This is huge. CLIA is made up of the cruise lines themselves. Think about it...the cruise lines are asking the federal government to ban cruisers over 70 unless they have medical clearance to travel. Basically, the cruise lines are admitting they cannot keep their ships COVID-19 free and wish to prevent those people most at risk from boarding their ships. 
 

Wow. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Lemonslikethefruit said:

How can Princess not offer our payments back when the Port employees could even be infected.  I would like the choice of purchasing a future cruise when I feel its safe, not Future Cruise Credits to use within the year.  

 

That's exactly how I feel.   Just cancel cruises for 2-3 weeks and disinfect the ships, make sure now crew member is infected and start over.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

This is huge. CLIA is made up of the cruise lines themselves. Think about it...the cruise lines are asking the federal government to ban cruisers over 70 unless they have medical clearance to travel. Basically, the cruise lines are admitting they cannot keep their ships COVID-19 free and wish to prevent those people most at risk from boarding their ships. 
 

Wow. 

 

Wow is right......that could be thousands of loyal cruisers not allowed to cruise.....that will certainly dent the bottom line for sure....wonder how refunds will work if that becomes an order from the government?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Experience more Co-op Holidays
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...