Cruise Critic Community
mcrcruiser

PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I thought it was only WHO who could declare a pandemic. They did not do this until 11th March (probably later than they should have), but Coronavirus wasn't a pandemic in January. It wasn't a pandemic in January. 

The definition of 'pandemic' - “an epidemic occurring worldwide, or over a very wide area, crossing international boundaries and usually affecting a large number of people”.

You are right, but my insurance did not cover any epidemics or pandemics, so, my wording was wrong I guess.  All I know is we are still going back and forth.  IF you want to be my attorney and take up my case with the insurance company, I will welcome it!!  

Edited by Level six

59 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I thought it was only WHO who could declare a pandemic. They did not do this until 11th March (probably later than they should have), but Coronavirus wasn't a pandemic in January. It wasn't a pandemic in January. 

The definition of 'pandemic' - “an epidemic occurring worldwide, or over a very wide area, crossing international boundaries and usually affecting a large number of people”.

IIRC January 30 Coronavirus was declared a PHIEC. That already voided a lot of people's travel insurance. 

12 hours ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Just to clarify a few things, Princess and HAL didn't pay for the charters out of the goodness of their hearts it was a condition given to them by the local authourities in Florida among others prior to gaining permission to dock.  Furthermore, that came as a result of previous disastrous outcomes from passengers on other ships (i.e. Costa) who flew to America from Europe on charters and were then allowed to mix and mingle in airports and on commercial flights home.

Also, the story of the ship off the coast of Uruguay is found here (among other articles) where its stated the cost to fly the people home on charters would be approx. $9000 USD each, which is still a lot of money so not sure if your figure is in Australian Dollars?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/americas/greg-mortimer-cruise-ship-coronavirus-intl-hnk/?hpt=ob_blogfooterold

The $15,000 referred to is Australian dollars. 🙂The passengers referred to are Australians and they were travelling on a ship chartered by an Australian company, Scenic.

BTW, Princess and HAL paid for passengers to fly home from early on in this saga, starting when cruises were cancelled or cut short from 12th March. I realise that the charters for passengers from the Zeendam, then later the Coral, were following agreements reached with the local authorities.