Disabled Veteran

damdifino

53 minutes ago, bbwex said:

Weill, I for one, did not go into law enforcement, and of all the VN vets I know, not one is in law enforcement.

One of my friends who was a very highly decorated soldier and served in Vietnam became a NYC police officer.He retired and went to work as Chief Of Security for a company located in the WTC and died on 9/11.

Several others also became NYC police officers.

3 hours ago, bbwex said:

Weill, I for one, did not go into law enforcement, and of all the VN vets I know, not one is in law enforcement.

Same here - so that’s at least two of us - also I know none who did; but perhaps  I don’t count — while of that vintage, I spent my time in the Atlantic, Caribbean, Mediterranean and Middle East - so I’ve never considered myself a VN vet.

6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Same here - so that’s at least two of us - also I know none who did; but perhaps  I don’t count — while of that vintage, I spent my time in the Atlantic, Caribbean, Mediterranean and Middle East - so I’ve never considered myself a VN vet.

It's off the topic a bit, but to navybankerteacher: Two WestPac cruises to Yankee Station, aboard for almost 22,000 sorties off our carrier, OOD for second cruise. 

I have only sailed and RCI Grandeur of the Seas.

But they do TWO veterans events.  The first is a gathering, normally on the first full day, with snacks.  Most times, they have everyone introduce themselves and what branch, when, and what they did.

The second is in the Centrum.  They have the veterans, police, fire, and first responders up on the main steps.   They have one of the RCI singers sing the Star Spangled Banner, then another one sing the military version of the Hallelujah song.  They then have the attending passengers (and a LOT do), give them a round of applause.  They do a big sheet cake, iced as the US flag, and the vets, police, fire, and first responders get to head the line for some cake.

On 1/30/2020 at 7:39 PM, Essiesmom said:

Many lines offer OBC or special rates for veterans.  There are no discounts for disabled guests, veteran or otherwise.  EM

If you choose a military discount, your DD 214 is required as proof.

1 hour ago, skrufy said:

Not in any of my experiences with Celebrity and RC to receive the military/veterans discount. With Princess it was a one time deal to provide a copy of my DD214 to receive a OBC for all future cruises. 

Edited by davekathy

14 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Not in any of my experiences with Celebrity and RC to receive the military/veterans discount. With Princess it was a one time deal to provide a copy of my DD214 to receive a OBC for all future cruises. 

Princess (as well as Cunard ) is great !

Apply one time and it stays on your Personal Profile for every future cruise that you book  .

Those 2 cruise lines also permit stacking of all OBC's that may be available to you , on most every booking .

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 2:59 PM, SRF said:

I have only sailed and RCI Grandeur of the Seas.

But they do TWO veterans events.  The first is a gathering, normally on the first full day, with snacks.  Most times, they have everyone introduce themselves and what branch, when, and what they did.

The second is in the Centrum.  They have the veterans, police, fire, and first responders up on the main steps.   They have one of the RCI singers sing the Star Spangled Banner, then another one sing the military version of the Hallelujah song.  They then have the attending passengers (and a LOT do), give them a round of applause.  They do a big sheet cake, iced as the US flag, and the vets, police, fire, and first responders get to head the line for some cake.

I was on Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas in August and September, and they also did the ceremony honoring veterans and first responders in the Centrum.  (I don't know if they did the gathering, as I'm only an Army parent, not a veteran myself.)

I thought it was a nice touch.  Royal doesn't have to do that, and they make no money off of it, so it was very heartwarming to see.  I attended both ceremonies on my B2B.  

What does OP mean by “Disabled Veteran”?  Someone injured on duty and still living with it, or someone who served and who subsequently developed a disability which had nothing to do with military service?  

Both are “disabled veterans”.

Edited by navybankerteacher

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

What does OP mean by “Disabled Veteran”?  Someone injured on duty and still living with it, or someone who served and who subsequently developed a disability which had nothing to do with military service?  

Doesn't matter. 

A veteran is a veteran.

Celebrity for one does offer a very nice military discount.   On an 11 day sailing the discount could be as much as $1,600 per person.  Depends on the sail date as it does vary.   Make sure you bring adequate identification as it will be checked at check-in. 

Semper Fi

On 2/19/2020 at 11:47 AM, skrufy said:

I have done over 60 cruises only military discounts I got was my music charters on star vista which was 5 percent and my recent msc cruise which was ten percent both needed my dd214.

On 1/30/2020 at 9:09 PM, davekathy said:

Welcome to CC. Thanks for your service. No matter the cruise line you decide to book with ask the TA or the cruise line if they offer a military/veteran discount or OBC. If so you will be advised the type, the amount and what proof will be required from you.  

My late dh wa s  a U.S. military combat vet,(thankfully not disabled) and never was offered any Vet  discount from any  of the lines we sailed,  RCL, Celebrity  HAL,  Princess , Carnival

2 hours ago, sail7seas said:

My late dh wa s  a U.S. military combat vet,(thankfully not disabled) and never was offered any Vet  discount from any  of the lines we sailed,  RCL, Celebrity  HAL,  Princess , Carnival

If the agent does't ask during the booking, then I ask. 

8 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Sorry to hear about that.  As I said on my previous post, Princess will give you automatic onboard credit (based on length of cruise) once you've submitted your DD214.

Once the DD214 is on file with Princess...the onboard credit automatically shows up every time you book/sail with Princess.

13 hours ago, davekathy said:

If the agent does't ask during the booking, then I ask. 

too late for me now...  oh well, 

let it be a  lesson for others

We sailed Princess about 5  or so  cruises.

Edited by sail7seas

36 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

too late for me now...  oh well, 

let it be a  lesson for others

We sailed Princess about 5  or so  cruises.

It's a shame the reduced deposit or OBC (depending on the cruise line) can't be extended to the widow/widower. Thank you for your husbands service and your support. 

On 2/22/2020 at 8:53 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Medical disability incident to service, 100% rating.

On 2/22/2020 at 8:59 PM, Shmoo here said:

Anyone notice OP only has the one post here (and read the username)?  Never came back to participate in the conversation.

I've been following the many responses to my original post. And by the way, shmoo, what does your username say about you?

On 2/16/2020 at 2:01 PM, navybankerteacher said:

I M  am sure you likely know you  (seem to be a  VN era vet and that is not to be dismissed;  by any means.          IMO   Your service 'matters.  Some military serving at the time, got orders to go as did my dh and some did not.   Most military follow whatever orders come their way

My dh did a tour in  VN, and there fore I refer to him as a VN  combat vet.  (rightly or not?)