Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

 

I make mashed potatoes by peeling and boiling them, draining, adding milk & butter, and mashing.  I have taken soft baked potatoes and smashed them with butter, but would never consider that "real" mashed potatoes.

Exactly! Don't forget cutting them up in chunks before boiling. That is what I do. More evenly boiled throughout.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 9:19 PM, scpirate said:

We eat every meal at the buffet after our first cruise didn't go so well.the buffet on carnival these days are lacking in quality and selection....

my experience is one item from the MDR menu (usually not the most popular one) one chicken , one fish and same old everything else.

Is it food, is it eatable, sure

I wish they could have diner hours for the BBQ and Blue Iguana, and guys, even if it was on a rotating basis.

love that at least Guy's is open till 6, the usualy do a huge batch of burgers about 5:30

JMHO

Link to post
Share on other sites

Never eaten one dinner on Lido in 45 cruises, so cannot offer much here.  It does surprise me the number of people who DO eat there, but to each their own.  The surprising factor was how much time was spent on potatoes.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Never eaten one dinner on Lido in 45 cruises, so cannot offer much here.  It does surprise me the number of people who DO eat there, but to each their own.  The surprising factor was how much time was spent on potatoes.  


We actually eat a lot of dinners at the buffet because we don't like spending a lot of time on meals.  We like seeing a lot of the comedy shows back to back, so the buffet works best for us.  Sometimes my husband will grab a Guy's burger right before they close.  I'm not too picky about food, so I usually make a large salad and add a couple of items or get something at the deli.

I know that seems strange to some people and I do get how sitting down for a nice meal is enjoyable.  It's great that cruises provide something for everyone.  I do wish there were more options at the buffet for dinner.  It is funny that my husband has actually mentioned the lack of mashed potatoes several times.  LOL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:


We actually eat a lot of dinners at the buffet because we don't like spending a lot of time on meals.  We like seeing a lot of the comedy shows back to back, so the buffet works best for us.  Sometimes my husband will grab a Guy's burger right before they close.  I'm not too picky about food, so I usually make a large salad and add a couple of items or get something at the deli.

I know that seems strange to some people and I do get how sitting down for a nice meal is enjoyable.  It's great that cruises provide something for everyone.  I do wish there were more options at the buffet for dinner.  It is funny that my husband has actually mentioned the lack of mashed potatoes several times.  LOL.

Not passing judgment here, part of the reason that cruising works so well is options, and options are a good thing.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I admit that after reading how bad the buffet was, I was mildly afraid of it when we went on our first cruise. However, after San Juan's million steps, i just didn't want to put on fancy shoes, LOL, so we did the buffet that night, and to my surprise, it was pretty good. Obviously smaller buffet selection than land based buffets, but still a decent salad bar, 5-6 veggies (not including rice/potatoes), a chicken dish, a fish dish, steaks, seems like another prepared meat, plus the carving station. Everything I ate EXCEPT 1 DESSERT, was fresh and tasty (the 1 dessert must have been leftover from lunch or something, as was dried out a fair amount).  I never made it to the pizza, deli, or Blue Iguana (I'm very disappointed on that one), but we did manage to get Guys Burgers, the Pig and Anchor BBQ, etc. and I can't really say we found anything that wasn't decently good to very good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 6:56 PM, twodaywonder said:

Ask anyone behind the buffet. They will get a manager and he will take your order. Never has been a problem on any cruise line.  On the Royal Harmony they had people in charge going around asking they they can get anything for you. I ordered the NY Strip. About 20 min later. I had it. 

Royal Harmony is not Carnival, so I don't think this happens on a Carnival ship?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 10:56 AM, MisterOJ2 said:

One thing to be aware of, the food on the buffet at dinner is... not great.

I love Carnival and almost every other food option they have,

but I find the food on the buffet to be borderline inedible.

For lunch and dinner anyway. Breakfast is fine.

 

We always have dinner in the MDR

because it is SO MUCH better than eating at the buffet.

IMO, the quality of difference between what you get in the MDR

and what you get from the buffet is shocking.

 

We have always had Breakfasts and Dinners

in the Main Dining Rooms assigned to us.

It's just so much more civilized

-and at Breakfast, you get to sit at a table with Strangers!! OMG!


For Lunch (if not eaten ashore) we'll poke around on Lido Deck 9

usually finding one of the alternatives rather than the buffet itself.
I find the Burrito Bar quite nice -it's all I need for lunch!

 

Burrito-206.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

ith me there are times not in the mood for MDR.  Often this happens when I had a long port day,example with Belize visited Xunantunich Mayan ruins which is right at the Guatemala border.   I had no desire to dress for MDR, put a tank top and shorts and headed to buffet.   Was it my best meal on board? No, but compared to what I do at home some days for meals, I didn't have to cook, clean, or wash dishes.  I also brought my Kindle and just relaxed and chatted with an employee working the area about Romania. 

Did the same when there was a double movie I wanted to see.  Ate at the buffet and headed to watch  the movies.

Now about 10 years ago it was alot better.   One year ate in buffet every evening because it was that good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Avoid the dinner buffet at all cost.  Really avoid the buffet in general. They will have several of the same options that you have in the dining room, but not as good. You can order as much food as you want in the main dining room, so the only real downsize is time. Breakfast and Brunch are great in the dining room, but Breakfast does require getting up early.  For lunch I always eat the Blue Iguana.

 

I'll always take the Pizza over the buffet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

Avoid the dinner buffet at all cost.  Really avoid the buffet in general. They will have several of the same options that you have in the dining room, but not as good. You can order as much food as you want in the main dining room, so the only real downsize is time. Breakfast and Brunch are great in the dining room, but Breakfast does require getting up early.  For lunch I always eat the Blue Iguana.

 

I'll always take the Pizza over the buffet.

YUK Burnt pizza. So thin it cracks.

Carnival burnt pizza.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

That doesn't look like any pizza I've ever seen on Carnival.

 

I have found the pizza tastes better on some ships than others.

That is true. We have them make us one and inform them pleases do not burn it. It is usually OK. All other cruise lines have far better pizza. Just off of the Sky Princess. Awesome pizza.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 8:43 AM, trvlgirlmq said:

Hmm, I want to say dinner began at 5:30.  There were actually some of the same options as on the MDR menu for entrees.  We actually ate entirely buffet for dinner on 1 cruise and never missed the MDR.  They do not have the same desserts which was the only bummer.

 

Last time we went (October), it didn't open until 6:30. I remember because I wanted Guys (closes at 6) and the rest of the family wanted Lido.  Since they were a half an hour difference, I didn't get Guys because I didn't want to eat while they watched me.  LOL  I sure hope it is now 5:30.

Edited by TerReuv
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TerReuv said:

 

Last time we went (October), it didn't open until 6:30. I remember because I wanted Guys (closes at 6) and the rest of the family wanted Lido.  Since they were a half an hour difference, I didn't get Guys because I didn't want to eat while they watched me.  LOL  I sure hope it is now 5:30.

Every cruise the buffet is at 6:00 and Guys closes at 6:00 I check to see what is on the buffet about 15 min before Guys closes, just in case. I wish they would over lap a half hour.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, twodaywonder said:

Every cruise the buffet is at 6:00 and Guys closes at 6:00 I check to see what is on the buffet about 15 min before Guys closes, just in case. I wish they would over lap a half hour.

You might get your wish

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Just asking. You are joking aren't you ? 🤨

 

Nope I have heard both.  Here's a link about Guys Breakfast,  Honestly, it doesn't appeal to me.  And I just don't like syrup over all my food.  LOL  As for the later time, I cannot find that one, but I know I read it.  I'll keep searching.

 

https://cruiseradio.net/guys-burger-joint-now-serves-breakfast/?fbclid=IwAR10PPa5Io0TU-_XqGvGSSdC8idp-_qtJ3XIihhD3TU4-pyNDMGZN8JZSzY

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...