Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Hopperhop

Welcome Aboard Show

Recommended Posts

Does Princess still have the Welcome Aboard show/program the first night of the cruise?  I have always enjoyed them in the past.  It was always nice to see the CD and their staff and get a taste of the upcoming entertainment!  Thank you in advance for your replies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It likely highly depends on the ship and/or itinerary. From my experience, at least the Regal and Royal don't have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have the welcome aboard show, but:

 

a) It has been several years since the CD and staff were introduced. It is now just entertainment like any other evening.

 

b) Some ships only have it at one time instead of the normal two times for a show each evening. If there is only one performance, it is likely to be in the middle of 2nd seating time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve been on a lot of Princess ships and I don’t remember ever being on a cruise that didn’t have the first night show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the ole days the Welcome Aboard shows were often sparsely attended and generated many negative comments.  Accordingly the traditional Welcome Aboard show was eliminated by most cruise lines and replaced with a more normal show.  We used to go, about 20 minutes late to the old Princess Welcome aboard show which was about right to miss the "same ole" speech making and introductions.  We have been on some cruise lines that start the first night show with a slick video/movie that touts the cruise line.  Apparently the CDs were also tired of the ole speech making and celebrated the video.  It even gets worse on at least one mass market line where the CDs are no longer supposed to tell jokes (or stories) because of the risk that somebody will be offended.

 

Hank 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 7:55 PM, snoozecrooze said:

It likely highly depends on the ship and/or itinerary. From my experience, at least the Regal and Royal don't have it.

Correct. On the quick 7 day trips they substitute a production show for that first night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 3:42 PM, Hlitner said:

In the ole days the Welcome Aboard shows were often sparsely attended and generated many negative comments.  Accordingly the traditional Welcome Aboard show was eliminated by most cruise lines and replaced with a more normal show.  We used to go, about 20 minutes late to the old Princess Welcome aboard show which was about right to miss the "same ole" speech making and introductions.  We have been on some cruise lines that start the first night show with a slick video/movie that touts the cruise line.  Apparently the CDs were also tired of the ole speech making and celebrated the video.  It even gets worse on at least one mass market line where the CDs are no longer supposed to tell jokes (or stories) because of the risk that somebody will be offended.

 

Hank 

Out of curiosity which cruise line are you referring to you in the last sentence of your post?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Out of curiosity which cruise line are you referring to you in the last sentence of your post?

Most recently HAL.  But we have also noticed a similar situation on our recent Princess cruises.  One CD told us it is an industry trend and I guess time will tell.

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just off of the Sky and on the first night, there was a Comedian. 6:30 and 8:30 pm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Most recently HAL.  But we have also noticed a similar situation on our recent Princess cruises.  One CD told us it is an industry trend and I guess time will tell.

 

Hank

Our last HAL cruise was in July 2018 and I don't even remember a CD, so I am sure I never heard any jokes by him or her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a few years since I've seen the old-fashioned welcome aboard show--where the CD introduced his or her staff, the singers and dancers performed a number or two, and then a comedian did a short set. My recent cruise had Tom Franek perform shows at 7:15 and 9:30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...