Cruise Critic Community
Tutone56

Excursion Port Credit

I was surprised when I booked excursions through NCL on the website.  I was required to pay in full.  The charges showed up on my credit card.  How does the $50 per port credit get applied if I've already paid full price?  

13 minutes ago, Tutone56 said:

I was surprised when I booked excursions through NCL on the website.  I was required to pay in full.  The charges showed up on my credit card.  How does the $50 per port credit get applied if I've already paid full price?  

There are about 734 threads on this topic....

Because you didn't follow the directions outlined in the T&Cs for the promo and booked on line - you have to pay in full. Since you paid in full..... you will receive an OBC of $50 once the excursion has been completed.

If you called the Shore Excursion Toll Free number then you would've been able to reserve the excursion and not pay in full...... and been charged once on board with the $50 credit applied. 

You get an onboard credit once you complete the shore excursion. Which is why the instructions for using the credit says 

Shore excursion credit can be redeemed by calling 1-866-625-1167

if you followed the instructions, payment would be deferred until you are onboard and the credit Offsets the charge

Edited by BirdTravels

If you prefer, you can cancel the excursions (getting it refunded back to your card), then call in and book without pre-paying.  I personally still like to pre-pay even if I have the excursion credit.  I just use the credit onboard the ship.  The credit would be refundable, btw

It’s responses like this that make me and others hesitate to ask questions here. I’m sorry if I bothered you. 

2 minutes ago, Tutone56 said:

It’s responses like this that make me and others hesitate to ask questions here. I’m sorry if I bothered you. 

Not sure why your panties are in a bunch.....

You stated you were surprised that you paid in full and two posters said you shouldn't have been if you read the T&Cs.......  and then answered when you'd get your credit since you paid in full. 

32 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

Not sure why your panties are in a bunch.....

You stated you were surprised that you paid in full and two posters said you shouldn't have been if you read the T&Cs.......  and then answered when you'd get your credit since you paid in full. 

It doesn’t seem necessary to me to tell someone that  there are 734 responses and that they didn’t follow directions.
Under normal circumstances I probably would have noticed the requirements. But between working full time, caring for my daughters toddlers and dealing with a cancer diagnosis my plate has been a little full lately.  Sorry I’ve wasted your time responding to number 735. 

16 minutes ago, Tutone56 said:

It doesn’t seem necessary to me to tell someone that  there are 734 responses and that they didn’t follow directions.
Under normal circumstances I probably would have noticed the requirements. But between working full time, caring for my daughters toddlers and dealing with a cancer diagnosis my plate has been a little full lately.  Sorry I’ve wasted your time responding to number 735. 

I'm wishing you well concerning the cancer diagnosis ...  

I went ahead and paid in full in advance for upcoming cruise but it’s only 3 ports and coming up pretty quickly.  One thing I’ve noticed is Ncl typically raises the prices each season.  Payment in full in advance locks in current prices.  There’s some debate on honoring old prices onboard if u don’t pay in full beforehand.  When I’ve reserved but not paid in advance I’ve had prices honored from date of booking but have read Other accounts varied success. 

Funny that even with however many posts on the subject you were given incorrect information.  The $50 is a credit (essentially cash) to your account, not obc.  There is a difference.  It will be applied to your account after you take your excursion and if not spent onboard, you will get a refund.  Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by julig22

I appreciate you asking this because I'll be booking excursions as well and did not know how it works.  

22 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Funny that even with however many posts on the subject you were given incorrect information.  The $50 is a credit (essentially cash) to your account, not obc.  There is a difference.  It will be applied to your account after you take your excursion and if not spent onboard, you will get a refund.  Enjoy your cruise.

You are not handed cash. You are given a refundable on board credit. The “refund” process with NCL is not instantaneous as you step off the ship. It takes a bit of time. 

Which is why the terms and conditions direct that you call in advance or book on board (not do it yourself online). 

Edited by BirdTravels

52 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Good grief julig22...... you do know that OBC stands for On Board CREDIT, right?? It's not cash at all..... it is a CREDIT applied to your on board account that lowers your stateroom balance. 

The best part is you actually used the word "credit" while trying to call people out for being incorrect. smh

13 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

Good grief julig22...... you do know that OBC stands for On Board CREDIT, right?? It's not cash at all..... it is a CREDIT applied to your on board account that lowers your stateroom balance. 

The best part is you actually used the word "credit" while trying to call people out for being incorrect. smh

Good grief.  You DO NOT get on board credit.  You get a cash credit that you can spend or get refunded if you pay in advance and don't have any on board expenditures.  

56 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Good grief.  You DO NOT get on board credit.  You get a cash credit that you can spend or get refunded if you pay in advance and don't have any on board expenditures.  

Incorrect.

You get a Refundable On Board Credit. There is no such thing as a "cash credit". 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You are not handed cash. You are given a refundable on board credit. The “refund” process with NCL is not instantaneous as you step off the ship. It takes a bit of time. 

You are definitely not handed cash. It’s an OBC applied to your account after the excursion. However, at the end of the cruise, if you still have that OBC left, you can cash it out at Guest Services. I just did that on the Gem last week.  

7 hours ago, julig22 said:

How do you get that cash?? Do they slide it under the door or must you go to Guest Services? What happens to that "cash" if you have any on board expenditures? 

Since you seem to be the only one with this experience please educate all of us. Thank you. 

Edited by esm54687

I am reading the Terms from the link above. A little confusing. It states the credit is non refundable and “Use it or lose it”.  I am confused about the nonrefundable in the situation where someone purchases online and then has a credit issued once onboard. Is that credit also nonrefundable?

1 hour ago, sandebeach said:

I am reading the Terms from the link above. A little confusing. It states the credit is non refundable and “Use it or lose it”.  I am confused about the nonrefundable in the situation where someone purchases online and then has a credit issued once onboard. Is that credit also nonrefundable?

Of course it is confusing since people do not seem to understand the difference between OBC and a credit to your on-board account.  Perhaps the term refund would make it easier - one is credit toward onboard expenditures, the other is a refund (direct credit) against your expenditures.  OBC cannot be used for everything, such as DSC but a refund to your account reduces the amount you owe.  A refund to your account would increase your cash balance if you are paying cash and if you needed cash while onboard, in theory (never tried it, don't pay cash) you should be able to go to guest services and get a cash payout if your account has a positive balance. You certainly can get cash back at the end of the cruise if you have a cash account with a positive balance. It is a simple accounting concept.  No different than if you bought something at a store and they gave you a store credit vs a refund (cash or credit card adjustment).  OBC is store credit.  NCL occasionally uses Refundable OBC for refunds of things like port taxes.

As to the non-refundable, use it or lose it, that refers to the fact that if you don't take a NCL excursion, you don't get the rebate.  So if there are 6 ports on your cruise, the benefit is worth up to $300 but if you only take 4 NCL excursions, you would only get $200.  If you take an excursion that costs less than $50, you only get the amount of the excursion as a rebate, not the full $50.

So yes, if you pay online you will get your $50 refund. It will be noted in you onboard account and will be used as an offset to any expenditures.  If you've paid ahead for everything (dsc, etc) you will get a refund at the end of the cruise.  You can settle up before you leave or get a check/cc adjustment after you return home.

2 hours ago, sandebeach said:

It's confusing because NCL has used imprecise, confusing language.  The $50 credit is not put on your shipboard account unless and until you've taken the shorex.  So, in that sense, it's "use it or lose it."   The  $50 credit, once put on your account, is in fact "refundable."  If you have not incurred other charges that are offset by that credit, you'll get that money refunded to you at the end of the cruise.   Again, poor choice of words by NCL. 

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 10:38 PM, BirdTravels said:

Which is why the terms and conditions direct that you call in advance or book on board (not do it yourself online). 

Actually, the T&C indicate you can get the credit by booking online.   It doesn't work (I tried) but it does say you can book that way and are supposed to get credit at the time of purchase.

Shore excursion credit can be redeemed by booking via NCL.com, calling 1-866-625-1167 or onboard.
For shore excursions purchased prior to cruise, the promotion or $50 Shore Excursion Credits will be applied to the first guest at time of purchase.

8 minutes ago, DeBlonde1 said:

Actually, the T&C indicate you can get the credit by booking online.   It doesn't work (I tried) but it does say you can book that way and are supposed to get credit at the time of purchase.

Shore excursion credit can be redeemed by booking via NCL.com, calling 1-866-625-1167 or onboard.
For shore excursions purchased prior to cruise, the promotion or $50 Shore Excursion Credits will be applied to the first guest at time of purchase.

Booked my shore excursions online yesterday, and the $50-per-port credit was deducted correctly from my total purchase, with both the shopping cart and the final receipt showing clearly each credit and the remaining charge that I paid. Yay, something on the NCL website that actually worked the way it should! 🙂

22 minutes ago, OrcaGirl said:

Booked my shore excursions online yesterday, and the $50-per-port credit was deducted correctly from my total purchase, with both the shopping cart and the final receipt showing clearly each credit and the remaining charge that I paid. Yay, something on the NCL website that actually worked the way it should! 🙂

That certainly doesn’t show up for me when looking at Shore Excursions.  I get the Latitudes discount showing up but the $50 credit is not deducted or showing up.