Board with wine in hand or leave in luggage with porters?

NCHPcruiser

Our last experience with taking two very nice bottles of wine on board  did not go very well.  We went through Celebrity security with our carryon with two bottles of wine as did the couple we were traveling with.  They went through with no mention of wine  while we had to leave our bottles with a Celebrity rep who said it would be in our suite later in the day.   (The two carryon’s with the wine were identical.)    Fortunately we had a great butler and after three days he tracked our wine down in the theater of all places.   We along with the same friends are planning to bring wine aboard the Edge this coming Sunday.  I know it’s not necessary but my husband and his friend save certain bottles for special times and  we all enjoy them on our trips.  Is it better to leave it in luggage left with the porter or to carry it on ourselves?   

We always carry wine on board in carry on , wine is not taken from us, on last trip we did back to back so we had 4 bottles they took two and returned on last day of first cruise. We will be carrying on two bottles in two weeks.

• Like 1

The instructions on the website say to bring it in your carry on.  The one time we had it our checked bag we waited for the bag to appear at our cabin and it didn’t. Around 6 DH went to track it down, it was held because of the bottles of wine in it.  

Not sure why they would hold your wine, but in 27 Cruises  on X the only time we had a problem was when we put the wine in the checked bag.

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies.  We were very surprised when they took our wine especially when our friends who went through security with us didn’t have there’s taken.  No reason was given and we have never been called to the “naughty room” so our name wasn’t on a list!     Our wine  will be in our carry on luggage when we board on Sunday!  

9 hours ago, jelayne said:

The instructions on the website say to bring it in your carry on.  The one time we had it our checked bag we waited for the bag to appear at our cabin and it didn’t. Around 6 DH went to track it down, it was held because of the bottles of wine in it.  

Not sure why they would hold your wine, but in 27 Cruises  on X the only time we had a problem was when we put the wine in the checked bag.

If it was brought onboard on embarkation day you are allowed 1 bottle wine per person. I would not have let them take it so easily. The rules are clearly stated. 

27 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

If it was brought onboard on embarkation day you are allowed 1 bottle wine per person. I would not have let them take it so easily. The rules are clearly stated. 

My reading of Celebrity's policy says "2 per stateroom", not per person. As a solo, I'm hoping the "per stateroom" in Celebrity's own material is correct. (Pet peeve about the lines - I know HAL used to be this way - where it is one per person, so in a couple where only one drinks they could have two though one only is consuming but a solo cruiser only got one.)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

My reading of Celebrity's policy says "2 per stateroom", not per person. As a solo, I'm hoping the "per stateroom" in Celebrity's own material is correct. (Pet peeve about the lines - I know HAL used to be this way - where it is one per person, so in a couple where only one drinks they could have two though one only is consuming but a solo cruiser only got one.)

I very often cruise solo as was the case on my last cruise 11 nights on Equinox. I brought 1 bottle in my carry on. A lady at my dining table also solo brought 2 in her carry on and was not confiscated.  So it appears some get away with it others not so lucky.

1 minute ago, drakes2 said:

I very often cruise solo as was the case on my last cruise 11 nights on Equinox. I brought 1 bottle in my carry on. A lady at my dining table also solo brought 2 in her carry on and was not confiscated.  So it appears some get away with it others not so lucky.

Was your second confiscated or you chose to only bring 1? 

Perhaps I will print out the policy as stated on their website if they do try to confiscate my second.

20 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Was your second confiscated or you chose to only bring 1? 

Perhaps I will print out the policy as stated on their website if they do try to confiscate my second.

No I only brought 1 bottle as they told me since I was solo on cruise was only allowed the 1. Not a big deal as Celebrity gifted me 2 onboard anyway and I had a couple of issues and an extra bottle with chocolate dipped strawberries were delivered to my cabin. I ended up bringing  wine home with me.

The only time we had a problem with wine in our checked bags was when we boarded in Sydney, Australia.  Naughty room.  But, I think it was due to the different procedures the Aussies used. 😎

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

The policy has always been two bottles per stateroom/suite not one bottle per/person. 

Edited by Gonzo70
  • Like 1

irrespective of what you find written, there is no link at security between you and your cabin mate.  Let me translate that.....

1) If you are boarding solo with two bottles of wine, just tell them you are carrying the wine for the cabin...it is not required that each person board with one bottle and cabin mates don't always board together.

2) If you put one or two bottles in your carry on and one or two bottles in your checked luggage, they aren't linked.  There is no record kept of bottles in your carry on.  Yes, you might be asked to come to "the naughty room", but that's just an inconvenience.  I would not put two bottles in your checked luggage if you are travelling solo....they might check...but one in your carry on and one in your checked luggage would just not be linked. Note: also see 1 above...both you and your cabin mate could carry on the two bottles for your cabin...just don't board at the same time.  

Let me add a third point about wine/liquor

You are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard at port stops...however, I have purchased liquor to bring home at various ports (eg. St Maartin where it's very inexpensive) and I have never been asked to even check it when I returned to the ship...I just pass it through the scanner with my other items....and it's ignored.   Net...depending on the cruise/port/your appearance/perhaps the setting of the moon...they just let you take your purchase to your cabin. 

Finally, to make this a more complete post:

If you are cruising back to back, any wine/liquor they do hold on the first cruise will most often be returned to your cabin the last night of the first cruise (for packing)...but since you are staying on-board, you will now have to store that wine/liquor in your cabin for the second cruise or drink it to avoid the inconvenience of having to take it home 🙂

I'm not suggesting that anyone flaunt the rules.....just injecting some reality vs fears/the written word.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I am hoping the same and hoping not to get any hassle because it clearly says on their website, per stateroom. I am travelling with a minor WHO I PAID FULL PRICE and I want/deserve my 2 bottles!! lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCHPcruiser said:

As mentioned above, I do think I’ll print Celebrity’s policy/instructions from their website just in case we have an issue again.  

I was thinking of doing the same. I'm coming with Canadian dollars so those bottles are valuable to me hahah

4 minutes ago, cruznjan said:

It's my understanding if your wine is in your checked luggage it could be confiscated. They probably think you're trying to surpass your limit.

No security will not confiscate the wine in your luggage. If you pack wine in your checked luggage and you don't receive that piece of luggage you will have to go down to the naughty room, open your luggage so they can further inspect the bottle to ensure it's wine. 

• Like 1

It was mentioned above that it states on the Celebrity website that wine being brought onboard at embarkation should be in luggage carried on, not left with porters.  This is what we plan to do on Sunday, but for the life of me I can not find where this is stated on the website.  I see several places where the two bottle per stateroom is mentioned but nothing more.  If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.  I would like to bring a printout of the policy when we board so should we have an issue like before we will have backup!    Thank you!

1 hour ago, agibeault said:

I was thinking of doing the same. I'm coming with Canadian dollars so those bottles are valuable to me hahah

Yeah me too. If I have an overnight at a hotel I buy locally usually cheaper and I get a wine not available in Canada. One in particular got in Fort Lauderdale searched high and low here - no results.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NCHPcruiser said:

It was mentioned above that it states on the Celebrity website that wine being brought onboard at embarkation should be in luggage carried on, not left with porters.  This is what we plan to do on Sunday, but for the life of me I can not find where this is stated on the website.  I see several places where the two bottle per stateroom is mentioned but nothing more.  If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.  I would like to bring a printout of the policy when we board so should we have an issue like before we will have backup!    Thank you!

I haven't either. The only thing I've ever found was under "what not to pack". 

What Not To Pack

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The United States Transportation Security Administration also recommends that you do not pack fragile or expensive items (such as jewelry) in checked luggage.

The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • **Aerial Drones
  • Candles & Incense
  • ***Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates
  • Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows
  • Skateboards & Surfboards
  • Martial Arts Gear
  • Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • HAM Radios
  • Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.
  • Electrical Extension Cords
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • ****Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages
  • Potentially hazardous food and/or food that requires refrigeration. 
Edited by davekathy

6 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I haven't either. The only thing I've ever found was under "what not to pack". 

What Not To Pack

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The United States Transportation Security Administration also recommends that you do not pack fragile or expensive items (such as jewelry) in checked luggage.

The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • **Aerial Drones
  • Candles & Incense
  • ***Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates
  • Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows
  • Skateboards & Surfboards
  • Martial Arts Gear
  • Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • HAM Radios
  • Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.
  • Electrical Extension Cords
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • ****Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages
  • Potentially hazardous food and/or food that requires refrigeration. 

In their Before You Board question section. It says “bring onboard with them” - to me that implies “carry on” and not checked since you are not physically bringing your checked luggage onboard. You are handing it to porters who will slap a luggage tag on anything if they think it will get them a tip.

A4FC671C-BC07-4B71-8443-55DFEA94B50F.jpeg

11 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

to me that implies

Yeah I've read that before and when I posted it. I'll just leave it at that. When we use to bring wine onboard it was always in our carry on. The only reason was we didn't want to take the chance of wine soaked clothes or possibly having to waste my time going down to the naughty room, playing show n tell and then have to schlep that piece of luggage back to our stateroom. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1