Cruise Critic Community
CoconutOne

Open Dining Reservations

Sorry for the (I'm sure) repetitive question, but I can't seem to find the answer searching the forum. How do you make an open dining reservation before boarding the ship?

Thank you!

Unlike some other cruise lines, HAL doesn't have that option unfortunately.  You can make a reservation (sometimes for up to 3 consecutive days) once you board.  You can make reservations for the specialty restaurants before boarding though.  🙂  

Once on the ship, go to the podium -- usually located at the entrance to the Lido -- to make your reservations.

Most ships only allow you to make reservations for certain times -- usually from 5:15 - 6:15 and 7:30 - 9.

So if you can't make a reservation, does just showing up go smoothly, for example at 7pm, a couple willing to share? specifically on Zuiderdam - I mention the ship because on the line we sail most often, Celebrity, different ships in that line have wide varibility as to how well they handle the select dining. Thanks!

It depends on the demand at that moment. You can't make reservations during the peak times. But, historically, people have not reported problems...maybe a short wait.

2 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Once on the ship, go to the podium -- usually located at the entrance to the Lido -- to make your reservations.

I usually make them at the MDR podium.

This option was a nightmare on our Thanksgiving cruise...too many people, and very difficult to meet a specific request.   Works okay on less crowded cruises.

On our December Nieuw Amsterdam cruise, we often showed up around 6:30 and rarely had more than a 2 minute wait.  We always said we were willing to share, which I'm sure made a difference.   If you wanted a table just for 2, then perhaps a bit more of a wait some nights.

If you plan on doing any specialty dining, the first night is a good choice. You can make a reservation for specialty dining in advance of your cruise. I find the open dining a bit confusing on the first night, and there is usually a longer wait on the first night than on other nights. Then once you are on board, you can make reservations for the next couple of nights without being rushed.

We always requested a table for two and got the same section and wait staff.  After a day or so we fell in love with our waiter on the Westerdam and was able to make a 7:45pm reservation for the same table for two for the rest of the week.  A few days before it ended, we made the same reservation for the second week of our cruise.