Cruise Critic Community
nyc2pdx

Transpacific in May Tokyo-Vancouver BC: what can I expect?

I'm booked already, but I am curious as to what I can expect?  I know the Bering Sea can be a wildcard.  I love sea days, and the cold doesn't bother me.  The journey is Yokohama-Hakodate-Petropavlosk-Vancouver BC.  Packed full of glorious sea days!

I did this cruise last year.
Tokyo weather was sunny but cool.
It snowed in Hakodate 2 days before we arrived. The good news was the snow was gone and the Cherry Blossoms were in full bloom. The problem was it was Golden Week and lots of people. This year Golden week is before the cruise leaves.
Very sunny day in Hakodate and very nice.

The sail up to Russia was nice and sunny and the viewing of the snow covered mountains and volcano's was scenic.

Petropavlosk was sunny but cool to cold depending on the wind. There was snow still on the ground. Now the snow was black because it was covered in ash from the nearby Volcano's. 

Coming across the Bearing Sea was cold and sunny with temps near 0 c for two days. The seas were not that bad.

The weather got better as we got closer to Vancouver Island. We had great weather in Victoria but that port is not happening this year.

1 hour ago, Seacruise said:

I did this cruise last year.
Tokyo weather was sunny but cool.
It snowed in Hakodate 2 days before we arrived. The good news was the snow was gone and the Cherry Blossoms were in full bloom. The problem was it was Golden Week and lots of people. This year Golden week is before the cruise leaves.
Very sunny day in Hakodate and very nice.

The sail up to Russia was nice and sunny and the viewing of the snow covered mountains and volcano's was scenic.

Petropavlosk was sunny but cool to cold depending on the wind. There was snow still on the ground. Now the snow was black because it was covered in ash from the nearby Volcano's. 

Coming across the Bearing Sea was cold and sunny with temps near 0 c for two days. The seas were not that bad.

The weather got better as we got closer to Vancouver Island. We had great weather in Victoria but that port is not happening this year.

Exactly what I had hoped to get!  Thank you so much for replying. I’ll bring warm clothes!

Please report back on your experiences!  We're doing a similar cruise in reverse in September (Vancouver-Sitka-Muroran-Hakodate-Aomori-Yokohama).

Have you checked whether this cruise is going to happen in May? I have been following cruises in Asia, and several lines are pulling out their ships including the transpacific routes to Japan.